Major Loss.....Came Home and found Blown out tank!

Kelly

Came home after being gone for less then 2 hours today to find my 90 gallon reef tank with a crack from edge to edge like a big smiley face lost every thing except a clown fish
that stuck his face in a puddle! Tons of coral Maybe some come back thankfully I have 2 reserve tanks I frantically went crazy pulling the tank apart...... My heart is very sad!!!!!
I have no idea what happened.... No kids .... I do have a dog but she pays no never mind to the tank. Had to call the home owners insurance it flooded my furnace with all that saltwater
along with the tank loss.. But I FEEL so bad for my fish and Coral...

Kelly

My friends don't understand, or family they think I am crazy this is the only place I figured I would get understanding!

LSUFireGal

My gosh! I am so sorry! I would be devastated! Do you need help with anything?

We get so attached to our little friends. How many fish did you have in there? Losing one is hard!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh Kelly, my heart hurts for you :(
That's a nightmare that's not supposed to come true. SORRY for your loss.
Freaky accidents can happen, just know that there's a starting fresh option & follow your heart!
Keep us posted about what your insurance does/says...might help others at least have an idea on it.
Again.....so sorry to hear this happened :(

Soupylou

Oh wow, horror story! What clever lil clown.

I couldn't imagine, coming home to all that mess.

How old was the tank?

Kelly

I was in the process of getting ready to change that tank out for a 155 gallon , that tank is in the garage now. So I have a giant trough with live rock cycling so I was able to add my current rock in too it. I scurried too get my 15 or zoanthids in the two other tanks but they are looking poor at the moment! I am hoping I do not lose them all, two bubble tip anemones came back and don't look too bad at the moment but I am hoping the water shock doesn't just kill everything. Especially after being out of water possibly for 2 hrs..... I lost a 4 year old Blue Hippo Tang she was my favorite, was a pretty fish...fought of ick a few times.. 2 clowns , a 3 Year old Trigger... A Watchman goby and my 4 year old coral banded shrimp.. And bunches of crabs , and other assorted anemones. The list is long.... May they all rest in piece.....

I FEEL HORRIBLE..................

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Very sorry to hear! How old is the tank? Possibly a warranty?

I work for an insurance company so is be surprised to hear what happens. I know how I'd handle this but let's wait to see what met says.

Kelly

The tank is only 6 months old I moved everything from a smaller one in too it, purchased it January 6th.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would look to contact the manufacturer and have that paper work for the insurance company so they can subrogate if they cover it

Mike Johnson

Right now your best friends are a shopvac and some very big fans. The quicker you dry it out with the fans the better off you'll be.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So sorry to hear ! Hope your clown makes it and you can rebuild !

I was in a lfs (local fish store) one day & a 40 gallon tank cracked right in front of me, owner came running & said it happens for no reason from time to time over the years - what a horrible thing to have happen, must be some defect in the glass I guess.

Hope you get going again soon & this one in a thousand occurrence never happens again !

Willie McDaries

sorry to hear,this every reefers worst nightmare, I hope the tank manufacturer will pay for your damages and losses...really sux that you lost so much of your livestock

was the tank and stand made buy the same company ? if not,the tank manufacturer may give you some hassle over the stand not being properly built,seems like one of the tanks I had long ago,they told me the warranty was no good if I didn't use their stand too,I took my chances with my own stand anyway

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I am so sorry for your losses. I too have a 90 gallon. Just last week I had a 15 gallon flood in my tank room because my skimmer return pipe got blocked. That was a nightmare, and it was only 15 gallons! I couldn't imagine 90. My heart goes out to you. Keep us posted with updates.

Kelly

Big fans are a blowing ... hopefully the hardwood floors stop buckling.. Mr Clown is still swimming looks sad I was hopeful the Tang might spring back too life so was he , it was like he was laying down down on her lay were buddies... sad... fish have feelings too!

DaveK

Sorry to hear about your loss. About all you can do is clean it all up and try again.

Good luck.

jkef2010

Sorry to hear about this tragic event. I hope everything works out for you and your next tank lots of success and luck.