Lynn's 90 gallons of Sunshine

panmanmatt

Re: LCStorc's pony adventure

You can go with either a closed loop, Melev has one on his site for use on a non-drilled tank.
Melevsreef.com - Closed Loop

Or you can up the size of your return pump and add more outlets and a spray bar to reach those dead spots.

kathywithbirds

ponies ponies ponies!!! Matt lent me a book... there's more species than you see in LFSs and they're COOL. For some reason I'm drawn to the pipefish. Are you considering any pipefish/horses for tankmates Lynn?

lcstorc

No I am not considering pipefish. From what I understand they are allmost all wild caught and can bring in parasites that the Captive Bred ponies are succeptible to.
I am very excited today. Progress is finally happening. I spoke with a really nice lady at Seahorsesource.com about getting my first ponies. Sine I will be out of town at the end of Jan she is going to hold my order until early Feb when I will be here to pay more attention. Hubby is fine for maintenance and feeding but I want to be here in case something goes wrong.
Now for the help I need. I know I need to QT these guys and have a 10g tank that I am about to start cycling for that purpose. Hubby keeps telling me it is unnecessary since they are the first ones in the tank and are coming from a very reputable source.
I've explained to him about watching to be sure they eat but can't at the moment think of other ways to convince him. I am going to do it regardless but it would be easier if I have him onboard with the plan.

panmanmatt

The lady you spoke with was most likely Abby, she is one of the owners, along with her husband Dan and his sister Debbie. Abby handles most of the orders right now.

Yes they are the first and yes they are coming from a reputable source but should still be quarantined for a short period of time for the reasons you stated.

Also these guys are going to be fairly small when you get them, probably in the 4 inch range. You will wan to make sure the are eating in a smaller tank before they go into the 90. That is a lot of real estate to try and watch a couple small ponies in.

Besides it will be much easier training them to use a feeding dish in the QT tank. This will lead to less wasted food and better water quality in the 90. I will try to come up with a more convincing argument if you need me to.

Are you picking them up or having them shipped?

Terri

Matt we should let them know always have a sponge over the intake . That's how i lost my pony. And i want you to know i love the BS i got from you. they all hatched. Thanks again

panmanmatt

Matt we should let them know always have a sponge over the intake . That's how i lost my pony. And i want you to know i love the BS i got from you. they all hatched. Thanks again

Thanks for that info Terri, I usually forget about those little things. I believe Lynn's tank is reef ready with the built in overflows so it shouldn't be an issue.

Glad you like those BS. Let me know when you need more.

Terri

I have a pic of my pony in the feeding dish but i think its to far away. The food stays in because i don't have a flow up there.

can you see it stuck to the glass. that's her in the dish.

lcstorc

The woman I spoke to seemed to want to ship them. She said it was cheaper than gas down there which is probably right, but my parents live right around there so I could make a dual purpose trip. I figure we will settle that part when I am ready for the ponies. For now I know they are getting the best possible care so I am happily waiting. I put some sponges in the fuge of the reef to gather good bacteria for the qt and will fill it with water from the reef as well. This should get some good bacteria going on. I think I will steal the HOB filter from my 20g temporarily to give some gently water movement since I don't want to put in a powerhead.
Yes the 90 has a built in overflow so I don't think they can get sucked in there. I am still working on the manifold system which will bring the water from the chiller to the tank and add a bit more flow at the same time. I'm trying to to find small ways eliminate dead spots without having too much flow.

lcstorc

Thanks Terri. Not sure how I missed your post before but if youclick on the pic it gets bigger and I can see the pony and feeding dish quite well. It looks like it is just a clear soap dish with a suction cup. Is that it? That should be super easy to try. Hopefully I can get them used to it in the qt and then just move it to the display.
Yes Matt my tank is reef ready with built in overflow. It is an Oceanic 90g tech tank. Just because I am paranoid I will probably put some plastic mesh in front of the teeth on the overflow. We have it on the reef and it works well as long as you change it periodically so it doesn't get clogged.

Terri

Hi sorry so late. Yes it's a soap dish that i silicone a few seashells on . the dish has no holes in it. I can't wait till you get your ponies .

lcstorc

Well still waiting on the chiller so still waiting on my ponies. We were at the LFS last weekend and I almost bought a blue spot jawfish. It looked fabulous but just wouldn't eat for us so it was left at the store.
Well, hubby was tired of an empty tank and it is very hard to feed a tank with just a yellow watchman in it so we bought a pair of purple firefish. They give the tank some life and the watchman actually comes out now.
Hubby's car is in the shop this week and we finally found a source for our RO containers so I am hoping to make a lot of progress this weekend. I really really want my ponies.
Thanks Teri for the idea on the feeding station. Should be easy enough to try and if they take to it things will be a lot easier.

lcstorc

I don't have my new ponies yet. :(
I promised myself I wouldn't get any more until the chiller is hooked up to that tank so I can keep the proper temperature.
This is definitely a lesson in patience.
Oh I did add more sand to the tank. Does that count. LOL

Techno-Vicki

How very exciting that it is getting so close:) Did you get any pics of the firefish yet?

lcstorc

Well many people eat when they are depresseed. Well I go shopping. After attending a good friends funeral I went to my favorite lfs just to look and take my mind off of things. I am walking through the wholesale side of the business and what did I suddenly see. Not one but two bluespot jawfish. I ask to see them eat and they both immediately scarfed down pellets of all things. So obviously he came home with me. I got two awesome yumas as well but that is a different thread. We grabbed some quick pics which I will be updating shortly.
Now all I need is the chiller and my ponies and at last I will have what I want in the 90.

vdituri

Ah yes!
Serendipity strikes again!
So you only bought 1?????
What's the phone # to the LFS and do they ship? lol

lcstorc

He's a wholesaler so I don't think he would ship just the one fish. Believe it or not he was only $100.

panmanmatt

Nice find Lynn. Can't wait to see the pics.

Hey Vic, if you're nice to her maybe Lynn would ship the other blue spot to you.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

Hey Lynn! youve been quiet,but you havent changed lol, waiting for the pony show giddee up!