Lynn's 90 gallons of Sunshine

lcstorc

Well, as you have probably guessed, I broke down and bought the tank. I won't have it till Friday night or Saturday with plumbing and filling day on Saturday and Sunday is LR day.
Guess I need to say what I finally decided.
I went with the Oceanic.
It is actually a 90g tech tank with starfire glass on the front, drilled with overflow etc and the Oceanic stand. I have a 30g that I will use for the sump and an ASM G1-s that will be the skimmer. Since it will be several months till livestock is added I got a bucket of IO salt. I also got a Mag 700 for the return. I may turn the return into a spraybar but untill I get the livestock I don't think it matters. I got 75lbs of pre-cured Hatian LR and 25lbs of pre-cured Tongan. I will pick out the actual pieces on Sunday but he is allowing me to pick from the holding tanks or the display tanks. I also doubt he will hold me to exact amounts. :)
Let's see. The system will also have a 1/4 HP Pacific Coast chiller and Nova Extreme T5 lights. The lights should be fine for the few corals I plan for this tank (mostly gorgonians for hitching posts).

That might be everything for now. It has been such a whirlwind I may have forgotten something but that is most of it anyway.

I have not yet decided on substrate though we will put eggcrate on the bottom ot the tank under the rock.

This tank is going to be for seahorses and a blkuespot jawfishI Obviously some snails and perhaps a shrimp or two but really the ponies and jawfish are the point of the tank. Mostly the ponies but I think the jaw will be very happy there so I am combining them info one.

Since I have a day or two left to make adjustments please feel free to make any and all suggestions.
Otherwise look forward to pics sometime this weekend. I absolutely love the tank so I will take lots of pics.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Re: Lynn's pony adventure

nice going there Lynn! in honor of the Haitian rock can you name one of the ponys TonTon? lol. I think this is going to be your happy spot, some how it just "feels" right

billyr98

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck with the tank.. glad you got starphire :) i was only joking :D

lcstorc

I think you just may be right on this one. I have been excited since I started debating the concept but then this tank just blew me away. Way more money than I was thinking but the quality really seems worth it.
The hardest thing will be forcing myself to wait on the livestock. I of course want it now. LOL I swear I am going to be patient and do this one right. Anyone who chatches me not waiting has permission so smack my knuckles any time.
First tank
Then plumbing
Then water
Then rock
Then cleaners
Everything else will wait. I want the tank in great shape before even thinking about adding ponies.
I do have a question though. I will add the rock etc this weekend along with the grocery store shrimp to cycle but how do I keep the tank cycled between then and when I want to add some ponies. There will be some CUC so I guess that is somethng to keep the cycle but what else can I do? I could use water change water from the other tanks. Not really sure how to do this one so ideas are most appreciated.

lcstorc

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck with the tank.. glad you got starphire :) i was only joking :D

I won't tell you the words that were attached to your name when I read Starfire glass. LOL. The owner didn't even know but there it was plain as day on the sticker. Then we started really looking and it was like hey this is really cool. I had never seen starfire before, only heard about it. LOL
It is all your fault Billy. :)

billyr98

if thats what i get blamed for, I will take it, and you will love it!
glad you got PanMatt too for the horses.. he is a great guy...
Come visit my tank, and i will get him over my house too ;)

lcstorc

He lives near you? How cool. Guess I need to plan another NJ trip. I need to see the baby too.
Hmm may be going to MACNA now perhaps I could add a road trip while I am in the general area.
I would love to see your new tank as well. It looks incredible.

mps9506

Once you go starfire you never go back :)
Thankfully I have not gone starfire yet :D
I can't wait to see pictures!!!! :D Sounds like a nice setup.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

"I do have a question though. I will add the rock etc this weekend along with the grocery store shrimp to cycle but how do I keep the tank cycled between then and when I want to add some ponies."

DAMSELS!!!!!!!:bump:

lcstorc

Please tell me there is a better answer. I don't want to have to catch the darn things not to mention find someone to take them.
:)

tbittner

Did you spend as much as a Mustang GT costs? If not, get back to the store and buy MORE stuff! :lol:

tbittner

No refugium? I would think a great big ball of Chaeto would be highly desired to keep the nitrates at zero.

lcstorc

Did you spend as much as a Mustang GT costs? If not, get back to the store and buy MORE stuff! :lol:

I love your way of thinking but somehow the bills still need to be paid. :)
No fuge for now anyway. We may well section off part of the 30 for a fuge and/or grow macro in the display. Plus you just never know what I might add down the line.
I am going to have to use Mustang leverage one more time now. I am trying to get him to let me go to MACNA. I shouldn't say let me go cause that is not how things work around here, but I want him to agree so I don't have to hear the grief later. :)

Anselth

Good luck Lynn! Glad you like your new tank. As for keeping the tank cycled, why not just replace the shrimp every week or so? that way there's always something easy to remove produceing nutrients.

blue_eyes53813

Congrats Lynn. Cant waite to see pictures. What will you do with the seahorse tank next to your old set up? Also to keep the tank cycled you could add bottled bacteria every week or so.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

Damsels in a cage? lol its a good question, what do you do while waiting, this must happen when starting up a tank and having stock in quarantine, how long will the bacteria live without ammonia?

Triggerjay

LOL! I was in a LFS once, and they had an octopus in an acrylic critter keeper inside an aquarium with LR piled on top to keep him in.... Sorry to get off topic, but that post reminded me of that! lol..

Jason

Anselth

Bacteria die-off should sustain a colony, they'll die, feeding a new colony growth, when food supply is exceeded, they'll die in a repetetive process.