Lynn's 90 gallons of Sunshine

lcstorc

Re: LCStorc's pony adventure

Actually I already knew that and love it. It was seriously funny since the LFS didn't know. I just read the label on the front and told him the day I bought it.
Hopefully I am getting ponies for Christmas or at least an IOU. Last time I checked they were out of the ponies I am looking for so I may ending up having to wait for that now. Well I have patiencs so that doesn't matter. I just want healthy happy ponies.

panmanmatt

It's true, they are out for now but have some coming down the pipe shortly. Don't go by the website though. Dan has been busy and not able to update the site as often as he would like. Your best bet is to call on the phone.

lcstorc

Good to know. I have been checking the website. I'll call in a couple of weeks and see what the deal is then. I'm sure he will advise me on what is best to do.

panmanmatt

Dan and company will not steer you wrong. Last I spoke to him he said probably early January for sexable ponies, maybe sooner if you're not concerned about what sex they are.

lcstorc

Somehow I missed that last post. i don't think I am concerned about the sex of the first couple. Eventually I want 3 pairs but I could start with unsexed ponies and then add whichever I need in round 2.
On the exciting news front. Frank couldn't stand the empty tank with millions of copepods and amphipods so he brought home a mandarin last night. These fish are always beautiful but he did find one even more spectacular than most I have seen. Of course it is hiding in the rocks so I can't get a pic yet. Meanwhile he should be very happy for quite some time. The sand is litteraly crawling with pods. I will likely add at least a small fuge with some cheato to keep the numbers up but I think he will be a nice colorful addition to the ponies.
Now that there is a fish in the tank I may move the yellow watchman over this weekend as well. He has been in my overstocked 20g waiting for the 90 to be ready.
Meanwhile early Jan for ponies should fit in quite well. That is right about when I want to add them. That gives the tank some time to adjust to a bit of bioload and make sure it is stable before adding the ponies.
I will probably only add the two fish in with the ponies. I do not want to overstock this tank since with the feeding needs of the ponies it will likely be challenging to keep my levels in check. I guess the final decision will be based on test results once I have had all the ponies in for a while. Then maybe a bluespot but I still have not figured out how to cover the top appropriately for these major jumpers.
Ok that's the update. Pics as soon as I manage to get them.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

Hey Lynn! looking sweeeet! really nice rock, and the substrate looks very established, how goes the chiller battle?

goldenmean

Now that is a really nice box of rocks!!

My LFS has had some gorgeous ponies the last couple of weeks.
They are so graceful looking. Almost regal!

lcstorc

Well the chiller battle continues along with the garage battle. Making good progress finally though. Hopefully the garage will be cleaned out and the chiller in by the end of the holidays or shortly after. The Cape closes down for two weeks so Frank is home and my company gave us several extra days for the holidays as well.
Using some of it working and some relaxing.

lcstorc

Ok I know they are not ponies but the tank finally has some life so I had to share pics.
First just some feather dusters.
featherdusters.jpg

Mr Watchman who was relocated from the 20g to the 90. He's getting adjusted and starting to come out a lot more now.
watchman.jpg

such a face
watchmanface.jpg

And of course a few of the beautiful new mandarin. He has lots of pods to eat.
mandarin3.jpg

mandarin2.jpg

mandarin1.jpg

Hope you enjoy

lcstorc

Well it is getting close to that time. I am almost ready for my first ponies to go into the tank.
Matt, I forget what type you recommended that I get. I know we were talking about 3 pair in the tank but there was a specific breed that you thought would be better for me. I would love to have the option of attempting to raise fry though not soon. I remember you said one species the fry can't hitch so they are harder to raise. Of course I will be getting them from Seahorse Source and my timeline will be determined by when he has what I want but at this point you have convinced me to trust him so I am afraid to go anywhere else. :) ) I want the best most healthy ponies possible to start out with.
I will call him after the new year since that is when I will be ready. I can wait though for the right animals. This has been a long build anyway so waiting a few more months if necessary is no problem.

michael_cb_125

Awesome!!! I cant wait to see that tank full of little ponies. Now all you need are some little sea peoples to ride them sea ponies.:)

lcstorc

Please no! My husband has talked about putting saddles on them since I first got seahorses. I told him he could photoshop away but leave my ponies alone. :)
Maybe the skimmerpeople can ride them. My cleaner shrimp used to. Never did get a pic of that.

panmanmatt

Lynn.

The tank is looking great. Your patience is paying off, things are coming together nicely. It will be well worth the wait I am sure. The species I recommended was H. erectus of the southern variety.

ayef12

I didn't know you could get starfire on an off the shelf tank... I recently did a 700G 10" custom freshwater african cichlid tank for a school lobby that was 3/4" starfire. But that baby cost over 10k.

lcstorc

Mine sure wasn't that much. It is an Oceanic 90g Tech tank. I believe they all come with Starfire for the front glass. I am not sure but I think the sides are regular glass or my eyes playing tricks on me.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

Great new additions! It's good to see some life! Can't wait to see the new ponies and blue spot!:D

lcstorc

As the time gets closer I have more and more questions. LOL I thought I had done my research and I have but questions keep coming up.
First, has anyone tried a feeding station?
I have read about them and love the idea but when I tried with my previous ponies the mysis just floated out of the station. How do you keep the food in so they can eat from it throughout the day while I am at work.
Also I am confused about mysis and mysid shrimp. The only ones that are available locally are Hikari mysis which is what I used previously. Now I found PE Mysis and they look a lot better and have a much better protein content but I hear they are freshwater and not salt. Any suggestion on what their primary diet should be? I want to be sure to be ready when my babies come home. Ok I swear only one more in this post. I know I need to quarrantine and have a 10g tank to do so. Do I need to treat them with anything during the QT or just observe and monitor.
Thanks for all of your help.

panmanmatt

1). Soak the food in saltwater before feeding. This will make the food sink. Freshwater will cause it to float. You will have to train the horses to eat from the feeding dish, QT is a great time for this then just transfer the dish to the display tank with them. You really don't want the food laying in the dish all day as it will start to break down and rot.

2). I feed Hikari myself as that is what my horses eat the best. PE is larger and is a FW shrimp. I know Dan uses both but is slowly converting over to Hikari as the price of PE is going up again. I would personally stick with the Hikari.

3) Just observe and feed. QT is the time to doing any food training and makw sure they are eating and healthy. It will also give you and your horses time to get acquainted without the distractions of other fish.

You will hopefully always have questions so don't worry abut asking them.

lcstorc

I know I said that was the last question but here I am with one more.
The return for this tank is not very strong at all which is great for the ponies. I do however have a number of dead spots behind the rocks and low down on the substrate. I am leary of powerheads since the tails or even ponies can get sucked in. Is there anything else I can try? I was thinking maybe another pump in the sump but this one feeding a manifold or spraybar. Not sure that will get down to the bottom though.
Any ideas?