LuckyInk's 40g Breeder

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Hello once again RS!
After a six year hiatus (traveling nearly 100% for business) I have once again started up my 40g breeder. This is the same tank and stand I used with my first reef tank many moons ago. It's great to be back and to see all my old RS friends!

Tank Goals
My objective for this tank is to act as a centerpiece for the entryway to my new home. My previous foray into reefing mostly involved brains and non-photosynthetic corals. This one, however will eventually house SPS and zoos.

Base Setup
I have done deep sand beds and sandless tanks in the past. I have decided to split the difference and work with a shallow sand bed. Eventually I may add a DSB to the refugium along with macro algae.
I currently have around 23kg of rock in the tank. This is a 50/50 split of live and base rock. The aquascaping, in my opinion, is the most important part of setting up a new tank. With that said, I have spent the last week trying different arrangements and recently settled on the following 'scaping.

Equipment -Current and Future
Right now I am on a budget that does not allow me to purchase the lighting and fuge I would like to have for the tank. I am running temporary lighting on a 12 on, 12 off cycle. My LFS has a great set of modular LED strips that are very affordable. Once the tank is cycled the LEDs will be my next purchase.
I also have an undersized hang on filter to help remove silt and run active carbon. This will not be part of the tank for long. Eventually I will add a fuge and overflow box.
For circulation I am using a Koralia Hydor 2000 and plan on purchasing another for the opposite end of the tank. Man, circulation has really come a long way from the powersweeps I had used before!

Livestock
No stock now, but eventually I will be running the standard set-up of a cleaning crew, few fish, LPS and zoas. More on that later.

IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Back !

Nice start on the new tank - rock & rockscape look great !

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Thanks guys. The painting is one of my own. I decided to take the door off of the cabinet and cover it with this. I will more than likely paint another to replace it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh how I love the 40 breeder. Deep deep deep. Plus the height means a good ol set of t5s will grow sps. Welcome back n good to meet u.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
The lights are in. This is a diy kit from RapidLED.com. They are an awesome group that have great deals.
Added a floating shelf and more of my artwork.
IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

Now with more shimmer!
IMG_00811.JPG

TylerHaworth

Wow, I like it all the way around... Love the rockwork, the way you hung the LED's, the size of the 40B is just perfect!