LuckyInk's 40g Breeder

tommyboynj

Nice. I really like how you use the shelf to suspend the lighting. Im going to file that one away for use of I ever go led

dgodwin

I'm setting up a 40g breeder in my classroom, also getting back into reefing after a 5 year hiatus. Can you give me more details about the rapidled lighting? How many and what kind of LEDs? How high are the LEDs suspended from the tank? Etc? I like the look, and I'm thinking of going the same route, but I really don't know anything about LED technology. I had 4x55w pc retrofit kit over the tank last, and would love to use the same hood if I can. Thanks!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm interested in the same info.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Bah! I feel like a jerk for not checking back on this thread. Sorry for the delay.
Check out this 12 LED retrofit kit if you want to ease into LEDs. 12 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit
This kit would be more than enough for a 40 Breeder: 24 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit
I just ordered a second kit (for a total of 24 3 watt CREE LEDs) and will add it to the tank to help support the photosynthetic corals and SPS I will add later this year. Right now the lights are about five inches over the water, but RapidLED sells lenses to help with higher mounting with more water penetration.
So long as you have plenty of room for an aluminum heat sink you should be able to use the same hood. They don't need much room and don't really get any hotter than PC bulbs.