Live rock ranch???

devind

Answered my own question. What he sent as premium Deco Live rock, was in fact low quality sand choked, dry, round, sparsely porous baserock. I emailed him, and he responded quickly telling me to call the next day. I called 3x and he never picked up. I left 2 messages and he never responded. DO NOT BUY from this guy. He's a Shyster of the first order. I am currently disputing the charge with My CC Company, and filing a complaint with the Attorney General's office in Florida for Fraud.

Robzilla

Good to know. I am willing to pay a little more to get quality from known and trusted companies.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear about the bad experience and please don't take this as me "defending" the seller (cause i'm not!!) but:

$3 a pound where shipping is included is really cheap for rock.........he may be guilty of bad advertising because what you described is clearly not premium deco rock but you may have gotten what you paid for.......as Rob said, it may be better to pay more for beautiful rock from trusted sellers......this guy seems to be a bozo.

KT535

Has been struck by the ban stick
It is so easy to be drawn into buying something with a well worded advertisment and a low price! Then the taste of a great deal sours when the package is opened!! Before I buy ANYTHING online now, I do a search. If I come across a post like this one it makes me realise the importance of message boards. If I don't find any info, good or bad, then I won't buy at all. Thanks for sharing!!!!

devind

I talked to the guy, he said he's gona go out this weekend and pick some fresh stuff and hand pick the best pieces to send me 50lbs at no extra cost. we will see next week when it arrives what it looks like.

MantisMan

Yea false advertising is illegal. But, the line as to what actually dictates this is usually skewed. I got my rock from TBS (tampa bay saltwater). His rock has plenty of stuff on it (good and bad) but also its VERY dense, hard to break and not very porous. If I were to start over again (which i will someday soon) with a bigger tank id get very light extremely porous rock and cure it from ground zero myself. In retrospect having cured rock sent to you is great, but I think its more rewarding to watch things grow and evolve in your tank from nothing, to bursting with life.

"He who sees things grow from the beginning with have the best view of them."
- Aristotle

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I agree MM! When I did my 90, I ordered it direct and #50 direct looked like a lot more than #50 of the base rock we see today - much more porous and lighter. Although I love knowing that my base rock is clean and no unwanteds, getting "ocean rock" with such diverse life is really fun! Next time around, I think I'll pay for the really good stuff, although the downside is the destruction of our reefs......base rock has its benefits!

catran

Nice Rob, something for me to think about when (if ever) I can get my RSM 250 going! Maybe even some BRS dry rock seeded with that. I'd still like to see it in someone's tank though....

MantisMan

Fantastic alternative!! An example of searching and studying right there!! Rock looks great. I have sooo much rubble and busted rock thats just sitting outside waiting I may not actually need to buy any more. LOL youve seen my tank its CROWDED. Cant wait to get something bigger!! My 55 will eventually be my sump if that shows what my next upgrade will be ;) SLOW BUILD this time and far off in time.

"IDK why I bought all this honey!! reefing is one helluva drug!! ;)

devind

I talked to the guy again, he said he would be willing to send me the 50 lbs of select rocks, but coming out of winter they would look very similar to what he sent me(my bs alarm was ringing the whole time he was talking). So, he offered to refund half my purchase price. So now, im going tomorow to the LFS 80 miles away and getting some figi rock to SEED the dry rock BOZO sent me. they are having a special right now, figi live rock for 5lbs a pound, fully cured...i figure i can get 30 lbs and seed what i have.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
devind - bummer on the "deal" you got. I suppose half back is better than nothing, if you get it.

Rob - Pacific East Aquaculture live rock is highly rated - an RS sponsor too.

Brien H

I'm not sure about the issues with Marco listed above, but when I was setting up my 90g over a year ago, I emailed Marco several times to see about placing an order. No reply to any of my emails so I looked elseware. It did work out in the end however, because I found reefcleaners and John over there has replied to every email I've sent, normally within the hour. Not to mention the rock and all CUC/Macro orders I've placed have exceeded my expectations.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I used Marco Rock in my new RSM 250 ... my e-mails had quick responses & talked personally to Marc, seemed like a great guy to me - he is a RS Sponsor and I have read 100's of post from RS members that Love his rock, his support & his service.

John at ReefCleaners is great too & so is his rock, John is also a long time great RS Sponsor !

Last edited:
I have been tagging along on this thread and thought I would chime in. I have been buying my LR from the same guy for the last 8 years. The rock is really high quality and comes fully cured. I know what you are going to stay, that is impossible. But, it's true! :) During a couple of moves the last few years I needed to cycle quickly and this rock really came thru. It's a little more expensive than some but well worth the price. Marty is a great guy and runs an honest and straightforward biz. Check him out!

Last edited by a moderator: