Let's Trade Frags

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The weather is getting better here other than the current storm so this means shipping is getting a little less risky. Spring and Fall are the best times to ship because less "extreme" temps because you would be surprised how many times these things sit on docks and in vans even during an overnight trip.

Newjack

To clarify, I haven't gotten my frags from a retailer, they all came from another reefer from AL.So, I'm not sure what the deal is here w/shipping, but I need to know b/c I have some frags that I want to send to DianaKay.
do not mention anything live on box or in person.companys that ship live stuff have permits and cleared through custems if its out of country. If they ask, tell them its thin glass containers with food. I learned thus the hard way. You have to pay alooot of money for permits shipping live stock. You want to back with cold or ice back wraped in a towel, against the bag or container with air and take water. In a sterofoam cooler then something else to pack it in place and right side up. On all sides of the box, write in big bold letters: parishables, fragile, handle with care, and this side up. This way you didn't say there's live stock inside and you didn't say there isn't. You just said its fragile, witch they are. And there parishable, witch they are.

Iamonlyme

Question if u pack with ice packs can't that damage the corals? Just remembering the lost of my acropora from temps dropping :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newjack

If your shipping somewhere really hot like GA summer or south flordia you can take a cold pack, wrap in a towel or 2 and that will keep it cool without a sudden cold shock. Just like you do when you put ice on an injury.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never used any cold packs but I've used many heat packs before. Warmer weather no packs but cold weather heat packs.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah i'd be iffy on running a cold pack.....if the weather was that stinking hot i might wait to ship them. Dropping it off for shipment at the end of the day and delivery by 10:30 am dodges a lot of the heat problems.

Now heat packs - for sure!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This is the box I'm planning on using for shipping:
7ce8825a0a6d87b08fd39ff0e9128924_zpsd664b42b.jpg

I don't think it needs anymore details other than: "Fragile Perishable & this end UP" when sending FedEx Priority Overnight.
IMO best options are to mail early in the week in case a connection is missed.
If mailed on Thursday for Friday delivery, one missed connection could mean a layover until MONDAY.
(Been there & had it happen :( )
There won't be any weekend deliveries unless you specifically PAY EXTRA for Saturday delivery.
Hold for pick-up at a nearby FedEx location might work better than drop off delivery also.
Just ideas....if you have any, please share.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I try to do exactly what Bryan mentioned. Minimize in-transit times to the best of your ability.

With that being said I've had some luck with shipments left on the dock for 24hrs with minimal loss in mild weather.

One trick I learned a long time ago was to attach the coral frag to the bottom of a styrofoam piece (usually broken from some shipping dunnage and cleaned up) so that no matter how the box is turned the odds of the coral staying submerged in the water is greatly increased.

Iamonlyme

Ok mailing to Atlanta Friday :) taking in all the info hopefully newjack will let us know how they do when they arrive :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I "float" mine in styrofoam as well.....best way to ship!

Keep in mind when you're looking at shipping boxes/coolers. You pay for weight OR size, whichever is larger. For instance a 12x12 box defaluts to 11 pounds.....even if you only have 4 corals in it........and you'll pay for 11#. @ overnight shipping you're talking $130!

Keeping the box as small as possible is the key.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok mailing to Atlanta Friday :) taking in all the info hopefully newjack will let us know how they do when they arrive :)

You might want to wait until Monday unless you're opting (and paying) for Saturday delivery guaranteed.

mikecc

Might put it on an airplane for less than that, really. Dude in Tampa with the live rock said he could put it on a plane in the morning and I can pick it up at the airport that afternoon. !00 bucks for 1st 100 lbs, minimum. I think was the price. Dont know how tho.

Shipping methods by trial and error, luck.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Airport to airport is great for Live Rock but I prefer home delivery for Frags :)

mikecc

Airport to airport is great for Live Rock but I prefer home delivery for Frags :)

It goes airport to airport anyways. To get to me by fedex it goes to truck to airport to airport to semitruck to truck to me with a warehouse in there a time or three. Now just airport to airport would be best. Much less convenient, for sure, much more complicated too, I have never done it in this manner. I have never shipped corals, or had them shipped to me. I go get them myself and bring them back, but I am not adverse to shipping stuff.

Wife goes to town everyday anyways, and airport is a straight shot down the street from her shop, and she is always at my beck and call, so no problems on getting to our little podunk airport. I bet once you done it a time or two and familiarize yourself with their procedures...ie freight drop off and pick up locations and times and such.

Who knows when fedex guy is showing up?

Fedex much easier tho from the shippers point, IME. I duuno.

Oxylebius

I try to do exactly what Bryan mentioned. Minimize in-transit times to the best of your ability.

With that being said I've had some luck with shipments left on the dock for 24hrs with minimal loss in mild weather.

One trick I learned a long time ago was to attach the coral frag to the bottom of a styrofoam piece (usually broken from some shipping dunnage and cleaned up) so that no matter how the box is turned the odds of the coral staying submerged in the water is greatly increased.

That is exactly how I shipping sps to Diana.

reeferman

Very good considerations....I'm fixing to find out what shipping is going to be pretty soon.
Plus, I've heard that if you tell FedEx what's in the box....They may refuse to ship it. They have rules against shipping live animals. We may need to refer to contents of the box as "fragile aquarium decorations" :dunno:
I don't know any of this 1st hand YET.

if you take it to the FedEx hub[the main office where trucks load from],they will accept it without having to lie about the contents.the "regular" FedEx stores around town cannot accept them,only the hub can.ive been telling them at the hub that its corals or fish in the boxes for years without incident whereas regular FedEx stores almost always turn them down so i quit trying.

Newjack

oh I will but yeah I prefer to wait till Monday incase theres a delay. Text me when your ready for info!

reeferman

do not mention anything live on box or in person.companys that ship live stuff have permits and cleared through custems if its out of country. If they ask, tell them its thin glass containers with food. I learned thus the hard way. You have to pay alooot of money for permits shipping live stock. You want to back with cold or ice back wraped in a towel, against the bag or container with air and take water. In a sterofoam cooler then something else to pack it in place and right side up. On all sides of the box, write in big bold letters: parishables, fragile, handle with care, and this side up. This way you didn't say there's live stock inside and you didn't say there isn't. You just said its fragile, witch they are. And there parishable, witch they are.

like i said above,you can absolutely tell them its corals or fish but ONLY at the hub.thats the only place FedEx can accept live animals.i have been using FedEx for shipping corals/fish personally and for a business and never lie about the contents.i know my hub is employed by caring individuals when it comes to live animals but your mileage may vary.