Let's Trade Frags

ma77301985

Hello everyone,

The purpose of this thread is to begin trading Frags amongst each other.
It is a great way to get to know what corals are available out there in the Reef Sanctuary Community.

I will begin by showing you what I am planning to frag.

Ideally, post a picture or video about the Coral frag you have available for trade.

If you have any specific requests just ask, someone here is always available to answer.

Here is my Leather I am about to frag for trade.

[video=youtube;B2e3rikKCtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2e3rikKCtM[/video]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Guess this might be a fun idea.
In the process of arranging a frag swap with an RS member friend maybe this week.
We could also discuss good ideas on "how to ship"...it's kinda scary to think of them being put in a box & trust that they will be delivered fast & safe to new home far away.
Being this will be my 1st frag, pack & ship...I may have more comments for this thread in a couple of weeks :)
Kinda cool that we can trade if shipping doesn't turn out to be a bummer. :cool:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Matteo is that a "green" Colt Coral? It looks very healthy and I like to colors of it.

yungreefer2410

I think it is a nepthia, they're endangered in the wild I'm pretty sure. I had a frag a few years ago that was from an aquacultured piece. Went from about 1" tall to a 4"x4" coral. Great coral

Iamonlyme

I would like to do this might need info on mailing never have done that but here is my blasto and acan colonies :)
ge4yve5y.jpg
adapu8us.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I love trading corals, I think it is a great way to keep us from going into the wild for them. The biggest problem is the shipping cost. You must overnight it which for regular schmos like us will cost about $90 not to mention a shipping cooler and a 40 hour heat pack. Vendors get better shipping prices but not us! I trade locally as much as possible

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I love trading corals, I think it is a great way to keep us from going into the wild for them. The biggest problem is the shipping cost. You must overnight it which for regular schmos like us will cost about $90 not to mention a shipping cooler and a 40 hour heat pack. Vendors get better shipping prices but not us! I trade locally as much as possible

Very good considerations....I'm fixing to find out what shipping is going to be pretty soon.
Plus, I've heard that if you tell FedEx what's in the box....They may refuse to ship it. They have rules against shipping live animals. We may need to refer to contents of the box as "fragile aquarium decorations" :dunno:
I don't know any of this 1st hand YET.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I ship mine with a "This side up" label and tell them its glass, then they put the fragile sticker on it. :)

Iamonlyme

This is good to know I am not selling the frags because of concerns of doa since I have never shipped but I would love to swap and take responsibility for the shipping cost for corals coming my way I believe that makes it pretty fair :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I ship mine with a "This side up" label and tell them its glass, then they put the fragile sticker on it. :)

I use only FedEX for anything delicate. Our UPS driver told me, with his own lips, "Fragile to us means throw gently!" Unfortunately they proved him correct with a $1200 LED fixture.

Newjack

if you start a free account with fed ex you get discounts but don't forget! They wont ship it if you tell them its anything alive. Put and tell them its perishables.

Oxylebius

All the corals I have came shipped fedex and the box always had perishable and fragile on it. This side up stickers also makes good sense to have. The other person shipping the box to me must not have said that they were coral.

AngieRN

My packages from live aquaria always say "live tropical fish, handle with care" on them. Maybe the retailers can put "live" on the box since they sell the stuff everyday, who knows...anyway, I love the idea of trading frags!

Oxylebius

My packages from live aquaria always say "live tropical fish, handle with care" on them. Maybe the retailers can put "live" on the box since they sell the stuff everyday, who knows...anyway, I love the idea of trading frags!

To clarify, I haven't gotten my frags from a retailer, they all came from another reefer from AL.

So, I'm not sure what the deal is here w/shipping, but I need to know b/c I have some frags that I want to send to DianaKay.