Kyle's RSM 250

kyley

Hi All, just dropping in to say hello... Works getting crazy busy largely b/c I'm opening my own office (opened Friday) and hiring a local team (been working with remote colleagues before). This means I won't be at home with the tank all day (yikes)... Anyway, I'm excited too because I'm planning to get a picotope-type aquarium to keep at the office. I think Juan has run one? I'd like to get something around 6-8 gallons, but not finding much in that size. The JBJ Picotope 3 gallon looks nice, but I'd like to be a bit larger than that. Would like to be able to keep three 2" fish and able to support some soft corals. Any suggestions? Can't find much off-the-shelf, so may need to have someone build a tank for me and buy lights / filter for it... Take care,
--Kyle

kyley

Thanks Terry, that's one I'm considering, but starting to think more about an open top one with an ATO. I'm worried about fan noise (especially with 50mm fans) - wanting something nice and quiet. How is the noise on yours? How are the lights? Will they sustain & grow soft corals well?

I kind of like this "EcoPico" too but it would be kinda pricey for a basic tank and would probably need a light upgrade, definitely a filter upgrade:
Ecopico desktop aquarium

The Fluval Edge 6 gallon looks nice, but not sure about the two halogens, difficulty cleaning or doing anything in the tank, etc.:
Amazon.com: Fluval 15395 Edge 6 Gal. Aquarium Set Pewter: Kitchen & Dining

The Finnex 4 gallon looks nice, but a bit smaller than I'd like:
Amazon.com: FT1202BK: Finnex 4 Gallon Aquarium, Blue White 3U Bulb w/ moonlight LED & Filter - BLACK: Home & Garden

Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Kyle - my JBJ 6G still runs very quiet after 2 years. A small amount of fan noise, but nothing loud. Mine's been taken over by Kenya Tree, but mushrooms and zoas were doing well till the Kenya Tree blocked all the light. The Fluval is really designed to be a FW tank, and would most likely need a better lighting mod, even for soft corals. I haven't read anything on the other two tanks.

kyley

Hey Jim, not yet, but I'm probably going to go with the Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon or JBJ NanoCube 6 gallon like what Terry has... I want a little tank that I can carry small amounts of water in my car with to do water changes.

I just noticed one of my cleaner shrimp is carrying young 'uns for the first time (as far as I know)! Lots of eggs on its underside - I'm sure will all be food for the fish, but pretty cool! Take care,
--Kyle

kyley

Hi All!
How's everybody doing? Just dropping in with some quick updates:
1. On a personal note, the "new office" I was opening up (discussed on this page), got shut down along with me and my two new hires, just 2 months after opening. It came as a real shocker - I was the longest term employee there and personally launched / operated 3 successful lines of business there. But, I wasn't meshing well with the CEO and I'm two time zones away from the main office. Anyway, I'm now working on getting a new business of my own started.
2. I bought an 8 gallon Oceanic BioCube for that office, and have it home with me now. I have my first nem in it (a Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone) and two Sexy Shrimp hosting in it. I also have a Hi-Fin Banded Goby and Randall's Pistol Shrimp paired up with it. Two other small inhabitants - a Bumble Bee Shrimp (about 1/4"!) and a Pom Pom Crab. I have a Tail Spot Blenny in quarantine that will get added to this tank probably today! I'm planning on 3 fish in this tank (but they'll all be tiny). The third will probably be a 1" max Red Spotted Goby.
3. My RSM 250 tank is doing great. Over a year and a half in now. I haven't kept a "regular" sea star (just a serpent star), so tried a Fromia recently. Unfortunately it only lasted about a month :( It died while I was on a 2 week vacation (just got back) in Orlando, Puerto Rico, and a 7 day S. Caribbean cruise. Everything else was great though after 2 weeks of me being away - whew! I have a Yellow Tang in there now (and it's doing great - eats like a pig) - it had Black Ich appear right after I got it, and I've nursed it back to health.
4. I started an online album for my aquarium. You can take a look here:
Kyle's Aquariums

Here's are some photos of recent additions and first the 8 gallon tank:
11-06-16-fts-8g.jpg

Tail Spot Blenny (in QT):
tail_spot_blenny-02-QT.jpg

Hi Fin Banded Goby & Randall's Pistol Shrimp (in 8g):
goby-hi_fin_banded_goby-01-flicker.jpg

Sunshine, our (small) Yellow Tang (in RSM):
tang-yellow-03-sunshine.jpg

Bumble Bee Shrimp next to a Trochus Snail (in 8g):
shrimp-bumble_bee_shrimp-03_trochus_snail.jpg

Yellow Sea Cucumber (in RSM):
sea_cucumber_yellow-01.jpg

Sexy Shrimp and Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone (in 8g):
anemone-maxi-mini-02-sexy_shrimp.jpg

Funny swimming over a new Fungia coral (in RSM):
ocellaris_clown-04-funny_fungia.jpg

Gotta run for now! Take care,
--Kyle

jpsika08

Great pics Kyle, the 8g is really nice.

Sorry about your business problem but good luck on starting your own.

Hope to see more of you soon :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That was sad to read about the job loss - way too much of that still going on! :( Best wishes on getting your own successful business going.

The tanks looks great and terrific pictures - nice ones of the Sexy Shrimp and Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone, and that teeny tiny Bumble Bee! I bookmarked the album to check out. Thanks for the update!

imaccat

Hey Kyle, sorry to hear about the job, I now work for myself having worked for a large corporation for well over 20 years and I love it, so hopefully it will work out for you.

Love the photos!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey Kyle - thanks for checking in & with some really great pics ! Lovely fish & corals & new additions !

Good Luck on getting your new business started!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Kyle, terrific to hear from you again. Once again, sorry for the job loss but i'm sure you'll bounce back. Congrats on the new tank and inhabitants, they look so cool especially the nem. Did you end up planning that trip downunder? I see you did a Carribean cruise so maybe you changed your mind.