Kyle's RSM 250

kyley

LOL, thanks Tammy! :)

Thanks Iain, that's Rex's "Gumby" pose, heh heh...

I don't know if I've mentioned, but I feed Rex by hand. He's usually hiding during the day, but when I put my hand in with a bit of silverside or something, he comes flying out looking for it, takes it out of my fingers, and quickly pulls it to his mouth and opens the mouth flaps (that's what I call them anyway)! Pretty cool to watch! Take care,
--Kyle

kyley

Hey Glenn,
He gets most food from scavenging, but I feed him a *tiny piece* of a silverside once or twice a week. Every time I feed the fish he comes crawling out looking to snag something too :)

Question for you guys - How do you kill off a montipora!?!? I can't believe it - I scrubbed the rock it was on with a rough brush, then took a lighter to much of it, then used my high-speed dremel with a wire brush and 2 days later it has polyps coming out!! Unbelievable!! What else can I do? :banghead: I already glued some frags back to the rock thinking it was done for for sure, but no!

I know some people use kalk paste for stuff like that, but isn't that risky? I'd have to cover about a 7" square area of the monti with it to do that...

BTW, I don't like "killing" it off, but I did save most of the colony (took to the branching part to the LFS). Take care,
--Kyle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the reply !

Good idea Eddie ! I have never had a montipora, they grow to big... sounds like Xenia if you have tried all that... eeek...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
or one of those propane torches. Hard to believe after all that you've done that it's still putting polyps out! Or maybe pour vinegar on it.

kyley

Thanks Guys. Glenn, I didn't want a Montipora cap for sure - b/c of how it shades everything. Some of the nicer encrusting montiporas I like (i.e. sunset and rainbow), but I am worried about them eventually growing over my acroporas at the base. Do you guys know if they'll do that? Or will they stop where they meet?

Anyway, this montipora digitata was my first SPS frag - meant as a test of my tank for SPS. Well, it succeeded - now I can't get rid of it! :)

Eddie, glue would work I'm sure, but that would be a lot of glue. A little bit's okay, but I have concerns about using a whole bunch (not to mention that super glue gel isn't cheap!).

Terry, propane torch is under consideration! Not sure if burnt coral could foul the tank at all? I think I'll try my dremel again first, but this time with a grinding attachment (not sure what they're called). Should be able to get rid of everything. Take care,
--Kyle

kyley

Hi All,
First some bad news; my 2nd Kole Tang died :( I think it had a parasite like my previous one, although I tried deworming and such in the QT first. I think I need to up my use of garlic, and occasionally soak food in PraziPro or something (although the fish don't want to eat it then). I think I mentioned my firefish had disappeared for a few days, then showed up looking fine. Well, it disappeared about 7 more days (really thought it was dead) and reappeared last night. This time it doesn't look good at all - super thin (because it doesn't come out to eat!), but no noticeable disease. I don't think it's going to make it, but I got it to eat yesterday (and fed food soaked in garlic / prazipro). I'd try to catch it, but no chance since it hides so quickly... :(

I also thought I'd post some new pieces I got from my LFS - they really got some beautiful stuff in! 2 beautiful zoas growing on this rock:

NewZoas1.jpg

It looks even better in my tank than in this photo. I have a lot of nice zoas in my tank, but these really stand out!

I also got a frag of his Strawberry Shortcake acro (yes, I already have one, but thought I'd see if this one will hold its green color better in other parts of the tank - I put it on a small rock I can move around). Showing a lot of green here; it's more pink on the other side:

strawberry_shortcake2.jpg

And I got a war scoly to go along with my bleeding apply scoly (in the background): :)

war_scoly.jpg

I also got a couple polyps of spiderman zoas (no good pic) and these (I think they're "true blues"?) - also not a good pic:

true_blue_zoas.jpg

...and a Superman Montipora (placed in an area its growth won't be a concern!):

superman_monti.jpg

Take care,
--Kyle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
so sorry to hear your little cole didn't make it !
239.gif

Lovely war paint scolly - I have been wanting one too & very pretty zoas - superman monti got some great color too !

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Very sorry to hear about your Kole, they are a beautiful fish. I have a similar problem with my firefish, always seems to be hiding but at least he comes out for food. Nice new corals too!