Kyle's RSM 250

reeferman

man Kyle,so sorry to hear about the losses.i doubt its from underfeeding,i have lots of shrimp,stars,crabs and snails and only feed a couple times a week and all my critters thrive.adding extra food probably wouldnt be best with the cyano and down skimmer.youll have everything back in great shape in no time!btw,from your pm,not a bad price for everything you are getting.i was thinking a lot higher price tag.i wonder how well the half cabinet sump would perform?i forgot my calcium reactors taking up the left side.

mlags62

Hey Kyle,
Sorry to hear about your impellers. Actually, I just shut my skimmer off b/c it was making a loud grounding noise. The kind of noise that means my impeller went bad. Oh well! Sorry about the shrimp and snail. My hawkfish killed my two shrimp. They're one of the more interesting critters to watch.

kyley

Hey Guys,
Thanks for checking in. I've been really busy with work, but since someone asked I'll post a quick response... I don't like to post in my thread if I'm not also catching up with others and trying to help out :) Don't have time for that right now.

Anyway, things are going well in the tank right now.
  • Bad news first - my Kole Tang died. First fish I've lost in the DT... :( He started hiding and having less of an appetite and had gotten skinny, and a day after I realized this he died. I had noticed sooner that he wasn't eating his veggies - I just figured he was preferring to be a carnivore. Anyway, my suspicion is he had an internal parasite after talking to some LFS people...
  • My BSJF (Spot) looked like he was going to die from the same thing (wasn't eating, hiding, and just didn't look good). He also had a white, stringy poo... I would have been crushed if I lost him too... But fortunately I was able to save him. :) I dipped the food in PraziPro and also fed some Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Food to all the fish and eventually got Spot to eat some too. They've been fine since. Spot has been one resilient fish! This stuff is supposed to be reef safe (even according to Lee), but I was still hesitant to use it.
  • Cyano is pretty much gone again - yay!
  • I finally got my new lights. I tested them out Saturday with different combinations. While I didn't like the "blue" look of lethal's tank in pictures, now that I see it for myself in person, I really do like it! It just doesn't photograph well IMO... My own pics don't look that great either. Anyway, I'm only replacing a couple bulbs at a time a few days apart, but I tested with all of them in. I'm going with front - back:
    1. ATI Blue Plus
    2. ATI AquaBlue Special
    3. ATI Purple Plus (tried w/ another Blue Plus and liked that look too - but thought this would be better for the corals).
    4. ATI AquaBlue Special
    5. ATI Blue Plus
    6. ATI AquaBlue Special
  • I got 2 new cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp to replace the two shrimp that died. So far so good with these ones.
  • I thought Phil the Porcelain Crab had perished - took him out, then found it was his molt! I'll post a pic sometime... Amazing - I knew the shrimp did this, and I guess I should have known the crabs do too - but this was shocking - all those narrow joints - don't see how it pulled itself out!
  • No new skimmer or sump / fuge yet, but still planning to get them.
  • I got a new HD camcorder and have taken some vids of the tank that I plan to post soon - when I find some more time.
  • Nano-Reef sent me replacement impellers for my skimmer pretty quick. I have those running for now until I get the sump / fuge (which will still be awhile).

That's all for now - hope everything's going well in your tanks. I'll catch up with everyone when I have more time. Take care,
--Kyle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey Kyle - thanks for the nice update ! Sorry to hear about the Kole
1346.gif
, really good to hear Spot making it and the cyano pretty much gone !
1085.gif

Congrats on the new lights & thanks for sharing details

Cleaner shrimp rock ! Look forward to pic & vid when you get time - All the Best !

reeferman

sorry to hear about your tang but good news on the other fronts.are you using Microbe Lift Special Blend?my sand bed has never been cleaner since i started using it.

kyley

Hey Reggie, yes, that is what I've been using to help get rid of the Cyano - Special Blend.

I forgot one other update... I moved my Neon Goby (cool little fish!) and Green Clown Goby to my DT. The Neon Goby is doing great (another sick fish I rescued and nursed back to health in the QT :) , but I'm pretty sure the Green Clown Goby perished... :( It somehow swam between my chaeto basket and the glass. It looked smashed so I tried to get him out. I'm afraid in the process I smashed him even more, and I haven't seen it since... This was the least social fish I've had, and I never once saw that fish eat either (but had it for over a month in the QT so it had to eat some of the food). Maybe it's still in there somewhere, but I doubt it. Take care,
--Kyle

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Kyle, thanks for keeping us updated on your tank. Very sorry to hear about your losses but very glad that your bsjf has come good. Glad you like the light setup... you have nearly the same as me. You're right about the blue not photographing very well, it does look much better in person and it has really grown on me. Looking forward to a fts when you have the time:)

Kyle,
Sorry to hear about your Kole Tang, but really glad Spot's doing okay. He really must have nine lives. You were my inspiration for finally set up a proper QT. Thanks!
Alice

clka

I'm really sorry to hear about all your losses, I know how tough that is, but glad there is good news also...don't know if I might have missed a pic of your neon goby, but would love to see one, that is a possibility for our tank also.

Cheryl

Max250

Hey Kyle. Have you been considering biopellets? You don't need a sump for that just a reactor, pump and the pellets. Not many 250 owners are using them. Your skimmer would need to be up to the job though. What do you think?

Kyle- Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck, it's sounds like everything is getting better though. I cant wait to check out some of those HD vid's