Josh's 40g breeder

jkef2010

Well guys & gals,

I have a little bad news, I'm getting out of the hobby FOR now. This was a last minute descion since I will be joining the navy in a few weeks and my wife will not be able to care for it while away. I will stay on the fourm so I can keep in touch but Iam shutting my tank down.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I hate to hear this Josh...I know you've loved this hobby from the beginning.
But THANKS FOR stepping up & SERVING OUR COUNTRY!! That's a very brave & honorable thing to do.
Please do stay in touch & let us know how you are.
BEST WISHES BUDDY :crowd: :hug1:

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If the 6 line fails to do the job on your flatworms (and most do) a yellow wrasse picked my 125 clean. I've used flatworm exit more than once in the tank but no matter how many of them died, a few always seems to survive. I don't know if it's eggs hatching after the treatment or what. Any way, I bought a yellow wrasse due to advice from a friend and he/she feasted relentlessly. Your only issue if you decide to go that route is the 6 line and the yellow will not play nice together. The 6 line will kick the crap out of the yellow wrasse. 6 line's can be bullies once they settle in so keep an eye on him.

jkef2010

Hey Everyone,

I know I know its been a long time since my last post. Life has been hectic to say the least but my tank is still doing real good. At this point I am having a huge issue with Algae tried everything to get rid of phosphates and still cant I mean I've tried the phosphate sponge, phosphate reducer filter pads, both, No lights, cut back on feeding if I cut back anymore there going to starve....NOTHING is working. If anyone has any ideas i'm very willing to give them a shot.... on a good note I've added some new addition's. 2 blue green chromes, a arrow crab, and a hammer coral (favorite all time coral other then a nem) All seem to be doing great my xenia is rowing crazy its has done split into two though I cant get my GSP to grow its not dyeing but its not getting bigger. Thinking i'm going to ass a blue clove polyp next. Well I will check back in with everyone shortly

HI Diana- How have you been? Hope the tank is doing good!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Josh...Glad you checked in! Good to hear your tank is doing good except for the phosphates.
I've had "number" issues with phosphate as mine stays at .16 I'm adding a sump & refugium, hoping that will zero them out. The addition includes a higher end skimmer in the sump. I'm excited about my addition, it should arrive from LifeReef builders THIS WEEK! :woohoo: Maybe installed & running by the end of next week :D
My tank is now a MAJOR MONEY PIT :LOL:

jkef2010

Just thought I would say hello to everyone and let everyone know I'm back in the hobby.

So after coming back I'm starting all fresh again, was going go do BB < bare bottom> decided against it. So I have a little less live rock this time around about 20lbs last time I just put such large pieces I didn't leave very much room for play so this time I got some room for corals and such, ATM the tank is cycling going to add some sand tomorrow then I will add a photo to log it r y journey all over again lol, I'm so mad at myself for getting rid of it all in the first place. But it will be much better this time around more picture heavy lol.

Last edited:

jkef2010

Any advice to make the aqua scape better looking is greatly appreciated. I just ordered sand today so should be here in a few days will post new pic then.

Last edited:

jkef2010

So there are some changes that will be taken place in the next few weeks, first I bought a new set of LEDs for the tank so getting rid of those crappy PC bulbs, second I've decided I'm going topless :p. I will be getting a new return shortly as well as a jabeo 10 wave maker for some better circulation. I am also in the process of building a new stand and a floating canopy ( if I can pull that off not real handy) I will be posting before and after pictures of the adventure.

Again thank you for helping me during my advanture and I look forward to sharing the expirence with everyone.

jkef2010

So it's been a while since I been here and updated my journey.
We as of right now the tank is doing good,md one have much life in it a few coral and a chomis. I'm in the process of upgrading it to a 40g breeder with a 20g long sump. That's all planned to take place next weekend. I been getting all the equipment in Order before buying livestock. The 40g is going to be primarily a softie and lps dominated.
My sump is going to be half refug as well want to make a little area for mangroves and display macro algae. I'm going to try to add a diy ATS to it as well. None of the tanks are being drilled I bought a eshoppsmoberflow box to go on the 40g so there is a lot of changes taken place with in this next month. I hope everyone is doing good. I'll post pictures as I get them. Thanks.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good Luck with your changes & all that DIY stuff Josh!
You are way more brave than I am...be sure to test the overflow box with power off & on to make sure it's flood proofed. That would worry me more than anything else. Coming home to more water on the floor than in the tank woud be a nightmare.
Hope to see pictures & all good updates soon! :thumbup:

jkef2010

Yea that's what worries me the most as well, least I know there is always someone home in case, still worries me though lol. Thanks

jkef2010

The tank and my diy stand prior to swapping.

A macro shot of my green stripped mushroom

A macro of my pink pallys

A macro of my acro - look I'm a poet and didn't even know it lol j.k

The tank all set up and full.

I will be explaining my plans and thought on a new post later today don't have time to right now.

Also can any admin change the name of this to joshes 40g breeder. Thanks

jkef2010

So now with this 40 breeder my plans are as follows.

As far as reef wise I would like this to be mainly dominated with LPS some SPS piece and some softies. Now that I have the room I really want a zoa and Ricordia garden.

I added a diy 20g long Aga sump. It has 3 compartments one being for the skimmer which is a coralife super skimmer, second is going to be a fuge want to put some macro algae In there with a few mangroves, third is the return with heater. My return is a mag drive pump.
I'm going to be adding a jabeo rw-8 or rw-4. My lights are full spectrum LEDs right now there trial leds their the Chinese black box leds I'm putting it in a trial period to see the growth.

Fish wise I plan on starting out with a benghi cardnials (sp). I been reading a lot and would like to attempt to breed them a few times. I'm also going to try to acclimate a few mollies only because they breed like crazy and it's fresh food with healthy benefits.

Since swapping the biocube over to the 40 I used the same rock and sand and didn't know I had to wash the sand prior to swapping it over so I tbrew the tank into another cycle, which I was planning to let it be for about a month time anyway to try to give the beneficial bacteria a chance to multiply and accommodate the larger tank. I gotta add some more dry rock was thinking maybe about another 20-25 lbs and maybe some mud for the sump with a layer of sand on top.
It's going to be a journey but a fun one. I'm having a little problem with asterina star fish eating the coraline off my rocks but for the most part everything is good. The above pictures is what's in the tank from the biocube.
I don't plan on adding anything anytime soon until I have all the equipment ordered. Maybe the 2 cardnials but that's all.

Again any advice or suggestions please feel free to share. Thanks, I'm happy to be back here sharing my journey with RS

NanaReefer

I'm running the same setup, different equipment. 20wks young and going great. Loving the foot print of the 40B and the 20L sump is a perfect fit :) Good luck and happy reefing!
593527d3b9fb4662046422cf18d951a9.jpg

jkef2010

I'm running the same setup, different equipment. 20wks young and going great. Loving the foot print of the 40B and the 20L sump is a perfect fit :) Good luck and happy reefing!
593527d3b9fb4662046422cf18d951a9.jpg

Yea m limit it so much more then the biocube. I gotta add another light to it and so more LR. I'm in the process of soaking and drying and scrubbing some old LR to add. I'm trying really hard not to add any li stock yet until I get the rest of the items I need but it's getting kinda hard lol. Your tank is very nice. What lights are you using?

NanaReefer

Lights are the Reef Radiance LumenTek Pro 180 LED. Price was awesome! Total control of all 3 channels. I have them ramping up/down every 10 minutes. Great for sunrise/sunset :)

jkef2010

Okay I'm starting to get real discouraged with this tank. I am having so much more issues with this tank rather then the biocube. All my levels keep going out of wack I can get them under control for about a week and then bam! They crazy again my calcium keeps jumping up and down, my NH3 comes down to 0 then jumps to .25 out of no where. The tank seems like it's going through mini cycles and I can't seems to get a grasp on it. Unlike my Biocube I ahve not seen any pods populating. Ugh sorry just logging this head ache. It's really making me want to just get out till later down the line. Ahhhhh!!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Josh hang in there... not sure really what problems you are having...

but if it helps, I always suggest... stop all dosing for 2 months (if you are doing any) and start wc 10-15% weekly - and see how the tanks looks after doing this...