Josh's 40g breeder

jkef2010

Well just tested my water and all seems well.
Salinity- 1.021 want to take it to 1.025 for my GSP but don't wanna do a water change so soon just did one Saturday.
PH-8.0
Nitrite-0.25
Calcium- 500 ( Seems a little high)
NH3/NH4 ( Ammonia)- 0
Nitrate- 0

If you see anything wrong or have any advice please let me know.

jkef2010

I want to say sorry I have not updated in a while. Added 2 more blue leg hermit crabs there about the size of your thumb nail. Just put a GSP in there ( I love that coral the way it looks is so cool). My clown pair are doing beautifully they love there little flower pot. My brittle sea star and banded shrimp are doing good getting bigger and bigger after each passing day. I do have one question. What is a good feed schedule atm I'm feeding once or twice a day I don't know if that's to much with such little inhabitants in the tank. Here is a FTS of the progress of everything little has changed maybe the rock scape but nothing to much. This little girly is my female clown and she is getting bigger each day also, She like to be abusive to her mate more often then I like Just let me know what you guys & gals think. Any advice is much appreciated as its all a learning process for me

jkef2010

Having a huge issue with theses Flatworms there really a Pain in the A**.... I don't want to use chemicals in my tank I'm going to get a six line wrasse maybe a blue velvet but I don't want to stave it so I may get it then sell it to anyone on here who wants it for 1/2 the price as long as there in MD if you have any suggestion's please please please help/share. :cursin:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hope someone comes along with advice for your flatworm issues. I am clueless for that.
As for bringing your Salinity up....try adding SW for top offs until it gets up more. This will get it up S-L-O-W-L-Y And that's what you want. Bringing it up with a water change can be TOO FAST in smaller tanks especially. You can kill your fish brining it up real fast. It's good to just mix up a gallon or two of SW for daily top offs to raise it up. You do need to raise up from you last post of 1.021, that's a little too low.
I love seeing your clowns enjoying their little clay pot....they look precious! :D

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Bringing up the salinity is easy and like DianaK mentioned, just take your time and bring it up slowly. Add a little salt to your top off water over time. Nothing to it.

Flatworms are a PITA. I've had them in my tank twice over the past 18 months thanks to a local reefer that I buy ummm (used to buy) frags from. My wrasse doesn't even acknowledge the fact that they are in the tank.

I've been told by some that they have painstakingly siphoned them all out one by one but I I have no idea how true it is.

If you decide to nuke them, flatworm exit works really well but you need to follow the directions on the box. I've used it on both occasions with great success and no loss to the tank other than the FW's.

GL!

theplantman

My six line wrasse eats flatworms, I had some showing up prior to putting him in and now I cannot find any. If you are having a large population explosion then the tank is most likely running too nutrient rich. Also better to use the flatworm exit now if you plan on doing it. Flatworm populations are notorious for getting out of control and then there will be a sudden die off which can pollute your tank and kill inhabitants if you are not there for an immediate water change.

jkef2010

Well i'm only seeing about 4 a night from very small to sometimes a little large as I see then I suck them out. I'm going to try the six line wrasse first if that is unsuccessful I will do the Flatworm Exit. I want to try to keep the tank chemical free for as long as possible.

jkef2010

Want to post some updated pictures of the tank. I just added a six line Wrasse to the tank very interesting fish to say the least. As well as a Pulsing Xenia ( spelling) Frag. Love that coral its soo neat. Also two pink schooling fish not sure what they are so I will post in here and as a ID to find out. Hope you all enjoy. The cloudiness in the picture is not the tank its my cell phone camera lens it needs to be cleaned. My other favorite coral My GSP My coral Banded shrimp ( thinking about getting rid of him/her) The best I could get of the six line wrasse he's found him self a hole and made it his home. This is the fish that is unknown I got 2 of them they where $10 each. This is the same type of fish just the other on and a front view

jkef2010

Well I just wanted to update my chronicle with a few pictures. My Gsp was pouting for a few days and had me a little worried but he's slowly opening up and getting a little bigger, I no longer have my CBS ( coral banded shrimp) At the moment I'm looking for a new home and someone who can maintain and take the time for 2 beautiful Purple Queen Anthia's Hate to get rid of them but I don't want them to perish due to my lack of knowledge and skills. There is a new inhabitant that I cant stop watching I'm so excited to have him. Its a Orange spotted Goby. I been trying to find more info on there care but can't seem to find any. I will be adding a Yellow Watchmen Goby in the upcoming weeks I been wanting that fish since before I started my tank. My clowns are getting bigger and are in love with there home ( thank Diana my clowns thank you as well).

Its a bit blurry but my clown fish decided he wanted to Photo Bomb my picture and thought it was really fun he stayed doing it for about 10 minutes until I took the picture.

This is my new guy. He is so cool looking.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Love the "photo bomb" :D
clowns are just too precious & ours are spoiled to getting to host clay "flower pots" :yup:

jkef2010

Just a Few more pictures of my tank members. Tried to get good ones but the lens for my camera is not very good on taking tank pictures better then my phone though.

My Feather Duster I don't know what type it is ( if you could tell me it would be appreciated)

My pulsing Xiena (Love this thing)

A Snail Eating some Green Algae on the glass.

jkef2010

Well I got a Randells Pistol Shrimp a Few days ago to go along with my OSG Orange Spot Goby. It was a instant bond. The goby is very protective over his new friend and his friend loves to reconstruct my sandbed I managed to get a picture for the first time in 4 days of them together. Its not the best but he is very shy. I will attempt to get better as he gets used to his new home.

jkef2010

Well looks like i'm redoing my RockScape. My pistol Shrimp during his construction last night almost caused a little in tank rock slide. So I will be redoing my rock scape to better anchor my rocks.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well looks like i'm redoing my RockScape. My pistol Shrimp during his construction last night almost caused a little in tank rock slide. So I will be redoing my rock scape to better anchor my rocks.

That's sounds like a good reason to NOT put one in my tank. I'm not fond of re-doing rock scapes :yup:

jkef2010

well I thought it would be a little interesting to read my thread again from start to finish. I Must say I've been taught so much over the past few months from everyone here at ReefSanc. My tank has come a far way since then and I owe a lot of it to the help I've gotten here from everyone. Thank you all for all the help and i'm glad I decided to join ReefSanc and being able to watch other tanks grow and help as I've been.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It's been FUN following your progress & seeing your pictures. I can see you jumping into a much bigger tank someday & I hope I'm here to follow along once again :D RS is a good place for ALL OF US....We understand each other & it's so EXCITING to share what we love so much :thumbup:
KEEP THE UPDATES POSTED JOSH!

jkef2010

well guys & gals,

Sorry its been so long since I've updated anything just been real busy. The tank is still the same have not added anything or taken anything I did add a skimmer tho. I plan on adding a sump shortly I want the better filtration but before that I will be adding a upgraded lighting I want to upgrade to LEDS so its better for the inhabitents as well as heat. That should be happening with in the next month or so I will post pics as I go along doing it. But everything is going good. Hope all is well with everyone & their tanks.