Joey's RSM 650 Tank Thread

Joeys Tank

That goniopora is sweet!

Haha, I got a big kick out of it when I saw it.

Someone was asking about Fiesty. He is still serving out a life sentence down in the sump. He swapped out his sponge hat for a green afro of chaeto.

It's pretty neat how he uses his back legs to hold the items on his back.

Joeys Tank

Uhhgg. While I was uploading pics to photobucket to create the "green afro" post, my computer was hit by a nasty virus. It created over 800,000 files on my computer (about 123GB of data). I have been running Norton to clear it up for the last 60 hrs. First run went from Friday night to Sat mid-afternoon and ended with an error message. I ran it a second time and noticed the added files. Disconneted the computer from the internet and Norton ran about 30 hours, still ended with the error message. Started another scan this morning and will research fixes at work today so I can continue the battle tonight.

Pat24601

Ohmygosh. That sounds really, really nasty. Do you have a recent back up if it comes to that? (Very few people do...)

Joeys Tank

I kept backups on the hard drive but not an external one. The virus removed all backup versions from the drive :)

Sneeky little bastard.

LakeLivin

Great looking tank you got going there! A little advice about computer viruses and malware.... switch to Mac if you can. I was a PC guy since "PC's" first came out with just "floppy drives" but got tired of all the virus and malware problems that killed my PC's performance by needing all the virus protection software constantly running in the background.

I switched to a Macbook almost 3 years ago and it still runs as fast as it did the day I bought it with no issues. There was a bit of a learning curve getting used to how things work differently than a PC but did not take long. I'll never go back to a PC and wish I had made the move long before I did.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^ I have had PCs for year, still do, but I spend all my time on my MacBook Air I got 2 years ago & just Love it !!!

thought the learning curve to a mac would be hard, it's simple & so friendly, will never go back.

Wolffman64

Great looking tank you got going there! A little advice about computer viruses and malware.... switch to Mac if you can. I was a PC guy since "PC's" first came out with just "floppy drives" but got tired of all the virus and malware problems that killed my PC's performance by needing all the virus protection software constantly running in the background.

I switched to a Macbook almost 3 years ago and it still runs as fast as it did the day I bought it with no issues. There was a bit of a learning curve getting used to how things work differently than a PC but did not take long. I'll never go back to a PC and wish I had made the move long before I did.

Lol mate, have you opened a can of worms!! :laughroll

I do love some of Apple's products (have had iPhone and iPod's since they were first released) and I fully agree that they have a great interface, are nice to work with, but when it comes to pure processing power, grunt, versatility and flexibility, PC's are still way ahead.

As an example, a friend of mine runs an animation design company, and while Apple/Mac has very good graphics software, only PC's can cope with the power needed to render their products. Also, I can't stand the company Apple, with their way of making every product, application and accessory proprietary, so that you have to buy their own overpriced products.

I have had and have built my own PC's for the last 15 years, and (knock on wood) with a good anti virus and firewall program, have never had any successful virus coming through. If you choose the right products, you will not even notice that they are there performance wise.

Even if you have a Mac, you should still have a good anti-virus product. AVG is a really good product, and the base version is completely free.

I will get down from my soap-box now :away: :laugh: and we should probably agree :hug1: that as long as you have good virus protection it's a personal choice what computer to use.

Sorry mate, didn't mean to destroy this tank thread with my ranting's, but I couldn't resist.... :nekid:

Joeys Tank

Hmmm, it has been almost 4 weeks since I added the first round of fish. Thinking about doing round two. Peaceful fish still sitting on the list are:

Clown Goby, Citrinis
Royal Gramma Basslet
Sailfin/Algae Blenny
Fathead Sunburst Anthias
Red Stoplight Cardinalfish x2

Happy with the last round from Liveaquaria so I will give them another shot (in light of recent purchases from others, I may hold off on the royal gramma). The dilema is the $225 for free shipping :) May have to go with a couple fish and some coral pieces to push me into the realm of free shipping.

As always, I love hearing everyone's thoughts.

Joeys Tank

I love the coloration of the Bartlett, but read that they can be semi-aggressive. Any issues with yours?

Choff

My anthias are aggressive only to each other and the chromis. They don't mess with anyone else. I have resplendents.

...stupid auto correct

zigman

You've got a cool hammer too, I like the neon green color. Torch was also on my list. Course my tank is 1/3 the size of yours so I may eventually need to pick and choose.
What is the acclimate box you are using for the fish? I use plastic buckets and air tubing for drip acclimation for corals but have just been floating the fish in bags and adding tank water. Course I now have a 25% mortality rate since I lost 1 in 4, so maybe should revisit my methods. No QT tank either for me. Livin on the edge.

Wolffman64

You've got a cool hammer too, I like the neon green color. Torch was also on my list. Course my tank is 1/3 the size of yours so I may eventually need to pick and choose.
What is the acclimate box you are using for the fish? I use plastic buckets and air tubing for drip acclimation for corals but have just been floating the fish in bags and adding tank water. Course I now have a 25% mortality rate since I lost 1 in 4, so maybe should revisit my methods. No QT tank either for me. Livin on the edge.

I haven't got a QT either, but I really wish I had place for one.

When it comes to acclimatising, I always drip acclimatise fish and invertebrates, you shouldn't really take any shortcuts there. When it comes to corals, I just put them straight into the tank (after dipping them). My logic is that if they can survive a dip (which they do) it is just a waste of time to first acclimatise them.

Joeys Tank

Agreed with Jan on both counts.

Drip acclimate fish, dip corals. Really wish I had a QT also, but I am slowly working on the Mrs. to move beyond the RSM 650 purchase. It is a battle I am slowly winning. "Hey, sweetheart. Come here! You have to watch me feed mysis and brine shrimp to the fish". Slowly winning :)