Joey's RSM 650 Tank Thread

Joeys Tank

Since I am hesitant to use photobucket, thought I would see if I could link a photo via Facebook.

So far, no luck.

Joeys Tank

Busy couple of days with the tank. A few days ago, I saw one of my fromia stars sitting on top of one of my Acans. I thought, cool, he's cleaning it off. Ate the whole thing, he did. I grabbed him and put him in the sump for indefinite time out. The next day, the other fromia was doing the same thing.

While poking around, I found three half-dollar size crabs. I made it my mission to catch all of them. Down into the sump they go.

From my FTS pic in the previous post, you may be able to see how the sandbed is a little low on the right side. The nozzle positions for the circulation pumps and powerheads pushed the sand around. I wanted to wait a few months until it all settled down. So, I added another 10 lbs of sand to fill in the area. The grain size is slightly larger, 2-5mm, and over the last couple of days it hasn't blown around.

Joeys Tank

Was cleaning the tank this morning and I noticed the piece of goniopora on the right side of the tank was missing. Great, I know these guys have a tendency to blow around in my tank so I started searching around behind rock. Finally I give up looking and step back from the tank a couple of steps. Yep, there it is.

Choff

Interesting in the fromia, a friend just the other day said ib should get a couple.

To funny on the urchin. You sure got a lot going on!

...stupid auto correct

Joeys Tank

Interesting in the fromia, a friend just the other day said ib should get a couple.

To funny on the urchin. You sure got a lot going on!

...stupid auto correct

If the fromia was the only star in the tank (or two), I would consider it. I love the fact that of the five types of stars I have, they are the only ones that do a great job cleaing the glass. A couple stars for our size tank should be good. My issue is I have 7 and that is way too much. The fromias self-nominated for relocation but that is very likely a result of too many stars. The basket star will definitely stay and the Mrs. absolutely loves the serpent star. The banded brittle star has been a model citizen (only sits under a rock with its legs poking out) and will most likely stay. However, I need to find a new home for the two red brittle stars and the two fromias. So far, none of the LFS want to work a trade and I can't blame them. Just waiting for an opportunity to present itself.

Joeys Tank

I had read that, Seagars. Thanks for mentioning it. I don't have any acros in the tank and am hesitant at this point to go down the SPS path. I am very new to the hobby and want to become very familiar/comfortable with the reef tank first. Mainly looking for a softy/LPS set up for a while. I will definitely keep your advice in mind though if I consider adding acros (I read through here multiple times).

Joeys Tank

Wanted to post two pics of the Royal Gramma (the second one I need a plant ID)

What is the broad-leaf plant at the center top with a little bit of GHA at its base?

Joeys Tank

Thank you very much, Racin!

Still a very young tank (3 months). Daydreaming for the time when it is 2 years old.

Joeys Tank

Also, Mike.

I love the Royal also. Great color and movement to add to a tank. A very timid fish for the first week (found a very nice cave and pretty much stayed there) but has been coming out more and more to participate in group activities (feeding).

Joeys Tank

Going to have to assume the broad-leaf plant is a type of macro algae and will keep an eye on it.

Wanted to post a pic of the Clown Goby after being in the tank for a week. He is settling in well with everybody else. I am fascinated with the cup-shaped fin on his belly which he uses to hold on to the side of the glass.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Joey - I can't make out the pic well enough... but here a guess you might look at

Caulerpa racemosa var. lamourouxii

grape04.jpg

Might post him here... and see what others think...
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/marine-algae-plants/

Joeys Tank

Thanks, Glenn. It has a thinner brown leaf. Been a nice journey down this side of research. It's great to go searching for one thing and you learn so much about others (due to my newness to the hobby).