Joey's RSM 650 Tank Thread

Seed

I received an email this morning from Scott Kohler at Red Sea North America asking me about my delivery experiences. I forwarded him the email I sent to both R+L Carriers and Acrylic Aquariums Direct on 8 July and mentioned that I didn't receive a reply or ackowledgement from either company over the last 10 days.

I had an issue with R+L Carriers as well. More about their scheduling. They only hold for 3 days and deliver during the WORK week between 12-4pm. Some of us actually work from 9-5 weekdays here, and don't have the option to go home or take a day off to wait for a tank. They need to use a place that offers Saturday delivery or early or late delivery windows. I had to rent a damn truck and go pick it up myself as their open til 7pm, otherwise they would ship it back.

Joeys Tank

Starfish looks awesome. Just scary he's soo close to the power head haha

That's one of the reasons why I leave the black sponges on the power heads ... to keep my sea life from getting sucked in and chopped up. Another reason is it makes a great filtration system with all of that water volume moving through it. I rinse them out every other day and pull a lot of junk out of the tank.

Joeys Tank

Received my first round of fish today. Got them all acclimated and settled in.

Spotted Cardinalfish x4
Blue/Green Chromis x4
Midas Blenny

Joeys Tank

After about a week of settling in, the Midas is non-stop swimming instead of hiding in his little crevice. So sleek in its movements.

Joeys Tank

Tank has been operational for two months. Started adding coral frags and fish over the last month (in addition to the large amount of life that came in with the rock). Today was the first day I used the Red Sea kit to test Mg, Alk, and Ca. Reading several threads about some people having issues with the measurements, I was a little anxious.

Here were today's readings:

Mg: 1300mg/l
Alk: 10.2dKh
Ca: 460mg/l

Very pleased that the weekly WCs have been doing what they are supposed to do. No wonder why the goniopora is smiling.

Joeys Tank

There was a new post in the Reef Hitchhikers ID thread titled "Kind of Worried".

To establish premise, the post is someone trying to ID a growth as aiptasia or a type of anemone. The details of the post made me do some self-evaluation.

I have spent a fair amount of time researching HHs (the good and the bad) ... hey, what else are you going to do during a tank cycling? Now, with the large amount of rock/sand I have in my tank and the fact that it came up from the bottom of the ocean, I have had several forms of HH.

I have been worried about crabs, mantis shrimp, aiptasia, etc. Watching constantly for the crabs, trying to trap them with shrimp/prawns in a glass only to have one of the several starfish come along, scoop up the bait and continue on their merry way. Scanning again and again for aiptasia outbreaks and so on.

One reply to the above mentioned thread could be summed up with "stop worrying". Hmmm, what a novel concept. I noticed over the last couple of weeks, I haven't been as worried. I see a crab perched on top of my gonioporas tugging away and munching ... you bet he is coming out (Fiesty). I see a mantis shrimp ripping into a few snails ... yep, he and the rock he was in comes out.

I am taking a more relaxed approach to things. Instead of worrying about what might happen, I am addressing the issues. Just wanted to share a different view I have taken on.

Joeys Tank

Posting a pic of one of the two Red Brittle Sea Stars in the tank. Being nocturnal, I hardly ever see them under the lights so it is difficult to catch a pic of one. However, they definitely love when I feed the tank mysis and brine shrimp.