Joey's RSM 650 Tank Thread

Joeys Tank

Checked my Apex Fusion this morning and low-and-behold I am finally getting readings out of my ORP probe. Time to watch the gradual rise in value until it settles down and breaks in.

Tonight's picture is that of a hitchhiker fish I found. He finally settled down a bit for me to snap a shot. I spotted another fish, but it is way too small for me to ID at the moment (about 1mm long).

Tiger Goby

salty23

Whats your ORP like joey? Mine was reading 420 before I did my water change, just checking in with others to see what is a good value to have.
by the way your tank and live stock look like they are coming together very well! congrats!

Joeys Tank

My ORP is currently 281. I still see the trending upward of data, not a large slope upwards but still going up. Over the last couple of days of data, I can see indicators in the data (spikes and drops of about 12 points) which are attributed to turning off the pumps, cleaning out the black sponges, WC, etc. Once the readings level out and I settle in on a baseline, I will let you know what that number is.

On the topic of black sponge ... I am using the sponges on the MP40s to protect the propellers and prevent life from getting pulled in a chopped up. It is amazing how much garbage is collected in those. I washed them thoroughly yesterday (or so I thought). When I put them back in the tank, I still had particulates float off. Yay to more filtration.

Thanks for the props on the tank. The Mrs and I decided to take advantage of one of the many Labor Day specials going on and we put in an order for $150 of coral. All frag pieces, but we have 12 on order. They will be the first pieces that we actually stock in the tank that didn't come with the LR/LS.

Purple Death Palythoas
Hot Pink Mist Zoanthids
Cats Eye Zoanthids
Blue Ridge Heliopora
Toxic Pools Brain
Red Eyed Monster Turbinaria
Green Tip Torch
5 various colored Acans (to start up a garden because I love looking at everyone else's gardens)

Not bad for 6 weeks of reefing experience. We will see where it takes me.

Joeys Tank

Jolly good evening, all.

The first batch of coral is set to arrive in three days. I assume the nervous feeling is natural? :)

Tank started getting some nice diatom growth on the glass. Yay for natural silicates removal.

Choff

Very exciting the first coral order!

Have you planned out your procedure to introduce your corals?

Everyone is a bit different, but I float the coral for 15 min then dip for approx 8 to 10 min. They then get a tank water rinse and then a tank water soak for 10 min. A final rinse then into the frag tank. I have a set of tuppers I use only for dipping as well as a separate turkey baster that I use.

I recently started removing the plugs and putting fresh ones on. Most HH come in through the plug and a recent vendor gave me aiptasia and bryopsis! I nipped the aips in the bud, but I'm afraid the bryopsis has taken hold. Currently dosing tek m to rid myself of it.

Post some pics when they arrive!

...stupid auto correct

Joeys Tank

I shudder to say this but I currently don't have a frag or QT tank. Honestly, I am still taking heat from the Mrs. with the initial 650 setup :)

I do plan on floating to acclimate to temp, dripping them to acclimate to tank water, dipping with CoralRx, and giving each a thorough inspection. I think this stage is where most of my nervousness comes from. Things happen during shipping, I accept that. I worry about me making a mistake and rushing a piece into the tank and introducing problems down the road.

Choff

Oh you don't need either of those for corals. I think there might be 1 or 2 folks who qt their corals. I only put mine in my ft first so I can figure out where to place them in the DT.

The reason I only temp acclimate is that if they can survive 10 min in that dip water then they can handle going straight into the tank water without the need for drip acclimating. Have you smelled coral rx yet ? It's a toxic smelling brew for sure. The first time I used it I thought for sure all my corals would die. I wimped out and dipped for maybe 3 min. Now I do 10 and don't even think about it.

...stupid auto correct

Joeys Tank

Thanks for the heads up on the toxic brew of Coral Rx. Means I will be dipping out in the garage instead of the basement.

Pat24601

I only temp acclimate my corals, but I also only buy from what I consider trusted sources that I feel (correctly or not) have already been monitoring for disease and pests. My LFS specifically told me not to do anything like drip acclimate or dip corals (fish are a different story) because they feel it stresses out the coral and (potentially) does more harm than good. They also feel they act as a QT tank for me.

True or not we will see, but so far so good.

salty23

My ORP is currently 281. I still see the trending upward of data, not a large slope upwards but still going up. Over the last couple of days of data, I can see indicators in the data (spikes and drops of about 12 points) which are attributed to turning off the pumps, cleaning out the black sponges, WC, etc. Once the readings level out and I settle in on a baseline, I will let you know what that number is.

On the topic of black sponge ... I am using the sponges on the MP40s to protect the propellers and prevent life from getting pulled in a chopped up. It is amazing how much garbage is collected in those. I washed them thoroughly yesterday (or so I thought). When I put them back in the tank, I still had particulates float off. Yay to more filtration.

Thanks for the props on the tank. The Mrs and I decided to take advantage of one of the many Labor Day specials going on and we put in an order for $150 of coral. All frag pieces, but we have 12 on order. They will be the first pieces that we actually stock in the tank that didn't come with the LR/LS.

Purple Death Palythoas
Hot Pink Mist Zoanthids
Cats Eye Zoanthids
Blue Ridge Heliopora
Toxic Pools Brain
Red Eyed Monster Turbinaria
Green Tip Torch
5 various colored Acans (to start up a garden because I love looking at everyone else's gardens)

Not bad for 6 weeks of reefing experience. We will see where it takes me.
I am wondering if something is wrong with mine it's always above 400. However usually after wc it'll be around 320 or so. Hmm

Joeys Tank

I doubt there is something wrong with your's Salty. I believe mine is still breaking in. My ORP is up to 312 now and I don't think it has settled down yet.

Choff

I find it odd too, but my orp always drops after a WC. I use to be in the 430 range and every activity had a different impact. Changed carbon, orp goes up. Clean detritus out of sump, orp goes up. Put my arms in the tank for extended periods of time, orp goes down etc. after I changed out my live rock to vidarock my orp dropped to 280 and it's been slowly climbing up to my present 330.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newo11

You do not need to drip acclimate coral. I would never, ever add a coral without dipping it first. You do not know what's he conditions were in the tank that it came from. A health coral can survive a dip.

Coral that has been shipped is going to be stressed. The dip is not going to do further damage and may in fact help with some issues that may be occurring. Getting it into a stable environment is important but not at the risk of putting the rest of your livestock at risk from worms, bugs, bryopsis, dinos, aiptasia or other unwanted pests that can hitch hike in on your coral.

I agree - a clean frag plug helps. But these things can and do come in on the coral themselves. Dip, dip everything, and try to come to terms with the fact that you are going to lose some coral no matter what you do. The dip is not going to make it any worse and will only protect your tank and all of the other established livestock in it.

Coral is a lot hardier than we think.

Joeys Tank

Here are two pics of a new addition to the tank.

Toxic Pools Brain Coral

One of the starfish came over to give it a hug, welcoming it to the tank.