How much flow through your sump do have?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Agreed, sorry I cannot put time into this right now. I am working but will go over the whole thread tonight.
Keep adding input! We shall all learn together.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I will write as I read through the pages.
First I wonder if Fordemups still follows along!
Then I wonder how many people have sped up then slowed down their return pumps and how many times!
Ok, reading Dave's first post and thinking on it, I kinda agree. The flow rate should be over 4 x per hour. This insures good filtration of all the water in the display tank.
I still think matching skimmer pump rate to the flow rate is ideal but agree again not necessary.
Cracker played it safe in his post and is correct on both counts. :)
#11 I still agree with because of personal experience. I don't care what the books say [emoji14]
#12 is spot on reefer gladness.
Then things get complicated so I post a video of my sump to derail, distract and prove my point. (Love my sump!)
The op appears again on page 3. We haven't lost him yet!
Then I post a blubber in #27 making it seem mechanical filtration is all that is needed.
Ok, I think this is where I lose the benifits of biological filtration in my posting.
Let me clean that up. Biological filtration is the key to our hobby. All other filtration is added benefit. I agree I went off rail here.
Mechanical filtration has gone so far over the years that it is possible to rely solely on that.
Correct, biological filtration is happening everywhere in the system, live rock, sand or not. The water itself is teaming with life. The problem is I mainly focus on mechanical because I like to over feed. Not just the fish but the corals also. This being said the biological filtration just can't keep up so I get aggressive with the other end.
I reverse the roles and see biological processing as the bonus filtration.
Most of you here also don't use probiotics, and rely on more natural ways. I need to keep that in mind.
Carry on good reefers! I am leaning!
Is it just on my end or is post #35 strange?

Frankie

RS STAFF
@Jay Morris Ok I figured out why post #35 looks strange the op deleted his post. I never saw a deleted post on taptalk so that is why it looks the way it does. For the members it probably isn't even there.
Sorry to cause you to do that Jay Morris, maybe just some editing would have been better. Your post had some good points just was a bit brash in places directed at me so I replied in kind causing you to delete it.
Maybe I should have sent you a private message instead of reacting in kind.
If you like I can restore it. Your input is welcome here. Let me know.

Fordemups

Great info on this thread. Thanks very much.

Decided that I should increase flow a bit and I've added some mechanical filtration to the sump in the form of filter wool in a drilled pot. This has reduced the turbulence in the first chamber, which, even though it's picking up a lot of crap in the wool, has caused my Tunze to perform better and collect more itself.

Just waiting on a new overflow to be delivered now as my homemade one is lacking flow and I can't figure out why I'm not getting max flow out of it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Glad you got something out of it Fordemups.
Just be sure to change out that wool often.

Big Dog

I'm assuming all overflow to the sump goes across the fuge here, correct? I'm a firm believer that all flow across the fuge is not beneficial, lower flow is better IMO. I've had a 180 setup for 4 months right now and my filtration and water parameters have never been so good in 20 years of reef keeping. I utilize a split 75 gallon sump with return chamber in the middle, fuge chamber left (24 gallon of the sump area), skimmer chamber right, no socks, no sand in the fuge. All overflow goes to the skimmer chamber which is agitated with one Koralia 4 (no detritus layout). In the return chamber I run a Mag 18 back to the DT along with a Mag 7 that supplies first my chiller and then feeds the fuge.

In all those years I've never run less than .25 on nitrate, now none. I've been running split fuges for 6 years now and always ran sand in the sump and never agitated the skimmer chamber prior to this build. I'm trimming cheto bi-weekly ............

cracker

I have been doing some serious cleaning of my rock. It was bad. I have a lot of debri floating around at the moment. I'm running socks on all my outputs trying to filter as much out as possible. So now I have the return and powerheads on high. After I get all this crud out ,I'm willing to back down on the return to see how it works. I had this opaque slimy film over everything!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Backing down on the return is fine imo, flow in the display is another matter though. You need to have good flow within the display so the detritus stays in solution allowing the detritus to be lifted up and out of the display.
Looking forward to your findings brother!

Frankie

RS STAFF
What pump runs your skimmer? Knowing the pump and it's gph ability is how you know the flow through your skimmer

Snelly40

What pump runs your skimmer? Knowing the pump and it's gph ability is how you know the flow through your skimmer

Aquamaxx EM200:
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Volume Rating: 240 Gallons
  • Footprint: 6.7" x 9.8”
  • Height: 22.8”
  • Chamber diameter: 6”
  • Outlet size: 1” Quick-Precise adjustment valve
  • Pump (included): Modified Sicce 2.0
  • Pump power consumption: 22 watts
  • Air Intake: 190 GPH (720 LPH)

cracker

I just ordered a quiet one 5000. according to the big site's head loss calculator , I get 816 Gph. That isn't exactly high flow at 4 times an hour for a 200 gl tank. Honestly I'm not happy with the turnover rate. However, my over flow boxes are 10 by 6. one in each back corner. I had almost 3/8" of water column flowing over them. Maybe the lesser flow will allow just the very top to of the water to skim over the boxes. I do have a hydor 4 way controller with with 4 1500 powerheads. in the tank. Any OP's would be appreciated.We shall see!

Frankie

RS STAFF
@cracker
Yes! If you are not skimming the top off then slowing it down would be best. Getting that slick of oil and waste out and good surface agitating is key to a healthy oxygen exchange.
Flow in the tank can come from other sources.

cracker

Thanks Frankie, I just wish I had built bigger overflow boxes. I'm still not happy!

Last edited:

cracker

Snelly, I just read that You ordered a QuietOne pump. How do You like it and how big is Your tank? I'd like to know the size/diameter of You return line.

Frankie

RS STAFF
@cracker I also use mostly quietones. They are a good pump for the price and I like the impeller design.
That being said. The new ones I have bought do not seem as quiet as the ones I bought 8 years ago.
It could just be my exposed system though. Nothing is behind doors on my build. I am going to install glass doors and see if that helps.