How much flow through your sump do have?

StirCrayzy

I went with quiet one 4000 3/4" return, for my current tank.
With vibrations in check, you can't even tell it's on.
I did buy an extra impeller when I found out none of my LFS carry the spares.

cracker

I got the QuietOne 5000 today. It is barely a trickle compared to my last QuietOne 4000 HH. Sorry but my instincts tell me this smaller pump just isn't going to get it. I need the flow Man! I did a cursory search for the 4000hh I had and didn't find one.If anybody runs across one pleas let me know. In the mean time I will see how the less flow thru the sump works. I think I will see it in the skimate I get. Stir how big is Your tank and how many outputs do You have? Thanks.

StirCrayzy

What is the HH designation.?

I only have 65g, and split the 3/4 return into 2x 1/2" loclines at the top. Est near 800 gph with head loss.
I have my drain split to feed fuge , so only about 200 gph through there, the other 600 goes through socks on the other half of the sump.

Since I don't skim, I can't really say much on the dwell time aspect of this debate.
What I would do if I had the space, is let the skimmer output over a short wall into another section of the sump so it pulls from one chamber and puts into another. Great care is needed in this because if skimmer pulls more than return volume, it will run dry. Tuning the drain/return to overflow the first chamber would be critical in this scenario.

cracker

Good Evening Folks, Stir the HH stands for High Head pressure. Frankie I run the pump submersible . The flow thru the sump now moves like pondwater! This new pump is lost in the large diameter return I have. If I use .smaller pipe I think I will get better results, ???

Frankie

RS STAFF
No. Smaller lines will speed up the return water but the amount of water will be the same going over the overflow

cracker

I agree Frankie, At least I would get better water movement. I'm looking for a bigger pump,I can't take this slow flow thru my sump!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree Frankie, At least I would get better water movement. I'm looking for a bigger pump,I can't take this slow flow thru my sump!
@cracker I just had to change out my Quietone return pump because of a break. I bought a Sicce that is equal in size and flow. The flow is a tad higher and the pump a bit more quiet.
3f6007abba9c9caf82994b9599d41eba.jpg

Really liking this new pump!

Last edited:

cracker

Frankie, So You like Your Sisse Syncra? I'm getting some serious flow out of my Water Blaster. I can actually see water moving over the baffles! LOL

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah man. I am digging it.
Glad your getting the flow you were hoping for. That's what it really comes down to man. What makes you happy. This is a hobby. We should be happy.