Hey ya'll!

Spoiled

I am Lori and I'm a Fishaholic:D ...I am currently changing from a FOWLR to Reef and spend any free moment reading, reading, reading every article or forum that i can find.I'm Happy to have found ya'll and welcome any and all advice ♥

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS! Glad to have you here!

Tell us more about your tank(s) and your goals!!

Spoiled

Well..I have a 55.It is 5 y/o but this is the second time I am re-doing it.The first time was after a bad incident with food that killed everyone in the tank in a matter of an hour.I decided to move the tank after that and started over.
I currently have 45lbs of live sand 35 lbs of live rock an Ehiem filter 48"T5 lights(2 blue acintic 2 10k white 6 blue LED moonlights)an Eshopps skimmer and we are building(haven't started yet) a sump.and I'm fixin to replace my power heads as well.
I have always had fish my whole life and also have a 55 FW tank that hold a Blood Parrot and a central american Cichlid(we call him a Tom-Fish because his name starts with the letters TOM) he came from a fish guy i worked with (I was a MGR at a LPS)He got a few of them at a swap meet,mine was the only one to survive.Needless to say Mr Tom fish too a liking to the parrot and next thing i know the tank was empty of all other fish (a firemouth and a pink convict)and there were 300 fry.I was stunned..I thought Parrots were sterile and nothing was even remotely right to foster breeding..Luckily the LFS told me that it was doubtful they would survive(280 did)that the ones that might would get eaten (not by my well fed parents)A nice man who donates fish tanks to special needs childrens classrooms took all but 5 (could not catch those 5).
So...I probaby left a bunch of things out but for now thats about it.I just want a nice tank with as much color as i can manage.As far as fish go I'm thinking a Canary Wrasse (i just luv them)a Strawberry psuedochromis a Royal Gramma.I have no real idea as to what corals to put in.I try and research everything but for now I just want to get the tank right before I choose what way I am going with That lol.As much as I have read I still have no idea as to who i can put with who etc...ok I'm done I talk wayyyy toooo much :bigbounce

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Best wishes with the new tank! Would you mind sharing what caused this bad event, as it might help others out to avoid it happening to them:

"....... a bad incident with food that killed everyone in the tank in a matter of an hour."

Was it spoiled food or?

Thanks!

Spoiled

I'm not sure xactly...I was brand new at saltwater..and it was so fast I would swear it was poisoned.I literally lost like everything but my one yellow tail damsel in a matter of an hour,I always have saltwater waiting in a 35 gal container for changes..so i did a water change...but they were literally dying as I was draining the water and being new I had no clue of anything and panicked.
I should probably explain a lil bit about Me to ya'll first.I absolutely love all life forms lol.Honestly! ever since I was young anything lost..lonely and lookin for food managed to find it's way to me.People leave things on my doorstep.Anyway anything that graces my life I will research untill theres nothing left to learn (theres always more)and do whatever i can to make sure it has a quality life.So It was always a dream to me to have a SW tank with colors.Maybe it is a Pisces thing lol.Needless to say I take Loss of life, be it something thats been with me a day or a year ,very personally.So loosing all those fish was heartbreaking and of course I blamed myself.
As far as the food goes it was being sold in a Store and only one other person had the same issue and went to the same "other" store .I was a manager of a LPS and unfortunately we really did not have much in the way of Marine products other than tanks etc..completely geared to FW tanks..But we had a great fish guy who had been in the fish buisness for 30 years or so.So I vowed to start over with as much knowledge as I can'
The 55 I have now is 5y/o It has a yellow tailed damsel that lived thru the incident...Every time I get started I run into something that i have to change or fix before I can start to stock the tank...which leads me to the present.Building a sump changing power heads and unfortunately now a Stand reinforcement/modification(the one side of the stand is seperating)sooooo...looks like Frankenfish(hes lived through incredible things)will go to the QT tank to hang out whileWe Drain the tank and re enforce the stand to make sure the lil seperation doesnt end up a huge ol mess.Recently I changed from CC to DSB...I had not seen Frankenfish for a month..he is roughly 5 or so now and had been through alot so I assumed (u kno the old saying about assume right?)he was dead and had been cleaned up by the crew...so i drained it 50% took out ething but the base rocks scooped out the crushed coral...put in the live sand..and around 3 hours later i see Frank knocking on the glass...we both kinda freaked out.I have a better chance at catching a winning Lotto ticket than good ol Frankenfish.
Anyway I'm sorry guys for all the bad spelling/punctuation...I'm better at texting lol..Also sorry for such long replies..but everythings got a story.♥

Spoiled

well...next week I will be draining it AGAIN fixin the stand so it is stronger than ever and starting over...so I will start with pix then...I think the first will be Frankenfish flippin me the middle fin ...lol

Azul

Hola, Lori and Welcome to RS! Wow you've been through quite a bit. Good Luck with your new tank! :hallo: