Help Picking New Fish plz

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I just got 2 PJ cardinals and a royal gramma!!!! 10 mins until they are released!!!!

Pufflife I would suggest that you get some good books to read on how to properly keep a marine tank. I would start with "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner and another good one would be " The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta.

When you add 3 fish simultaneously to a tank your not allowing enough time for the bacterial levels in your tank to adjust to the increase in bio-load, this can lead to an ammonia spike and kill your fish. I would keep a very careful eye on your ammonia levels ! Are you using a skimmer ? How much LR do you have in the tank ?

Yes i know its not always a good idea to add a few fish at once, but its been done, and i was given an offer i could not refuse. Yes i have a skimmer, and i have 25 lb. of lr

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes i know its not always a good idea to add a few fish at once, but its been done, and i was given an offer i could not refuse. Yes i have a skimmer, and i have 25 lb. of lr

Yes it has been done but we're not talking about a large tank we're talking about a 28 gal, add the rock and sand and it's alot less. Your obviously going to do what you want and don't appear to be looking for advice so I will end my participation and hope that it does work out at least for the sake of the animals :surrender:

If i werent looking for advice and i were just going to do whatever i want i would never have gotten rid of those puffers. I would still have a predator tank if i werent taking advice. Look, im sorry, but i really think you have the wrong idea.

lcstorc

Puff,
The only thing we know is what you have posted and a lot about keeping marine life. You may think we are harsh or wrong but you have been given good advice from quite a few people who have been doing this for many years. You really need to understand more about stocking limits as well as how the bio-filtration works in the tank. I can tell you now that in the same situation I would have passed up the offer too good to resist if I were in your situation. It is just too much bio-load for that tank particularly all at one time.
Robert gave you some great ideas on books. They will help you understand your tank much better.
We are only trying to help you and your fish. There is no other motivation for us.

I know you guys know what youre talking about. I understand that. I dont want to come across as somone who doesnt care about the welfare of the fish... but i do have an alternative method to fishkeeping. Ive read books, and alot of what ive read has turned out to be bogus. Im sorry, but in my experience, thats the way its been. "Naso tang is a great starter fish" "You dont need a filter if you have enough live rock" Reading stuff like that has given me cause to use an alternative method. Please understand that.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was offered a free queen angel not to long ago. My clams would have loved that~ Sometimes you need to say no.
Alternative methods for a new reefer scares me. If you have read the right books then you would not be rushing into stocking your tank like you are.
You say you know we know what were talking about and want advice but don't want to follow it. Sounds like blabber to me.
When a guy like Cheeks throws up a flag you just lost a great resource. I have learned a lot from him and value all he has to say.
Try to keep an open mind and do whats being suggested. You too might be as successful as him one day.

Umm... frankie, i guess perhaps i didnt make this very clear.... im not new... However, point taken. The thing was, it was too late... i already put them in the tank. But, i will try to keep an open mind in the future. I apologize.

Ok i want your opinion. In a while, could i possibly add a false perc?
I will be sure to take the advice of any reputable member.

lcstorc

Remind us what you have currently in the 28 gal tank.
If I remember correctly (and I may not) your tank is already seriously overstocked.
The rule of thumb is one inch of full grown fish per 5 gallons of water. Even if we stretch your tank to 30g and don't count displacement for sand and rock you should have no more than 6 inches of full grown fish. This method is calculated to take advantage of the fish growth as well as the tank maturity, As the fish grow the tank matures allowing the larger bio-load created by the larger fish,
For example in your tank I would recommend perhaps a clown pair and a small goby or perrhaps 4 gobies os similar sized fish, Not both I said or. You can make slight adjustments for particularly thin fish such as some gobies but the more you stretch it the more maintenance you will need to do on the tank.
Anything more than that is just asking for trouble.
Don't buy fish planning on a future upgrade. Get the upgrade and then the fish. Sometimes things happen (like to me) and the upgrade doesn't happen. Now I have to make some tough decisions about getting rid of some of my favorite fish because they are just getting too large. I was planning to have another much larger tank by now and I could have easily fit the fish into the two tanks. Now as they get bigger and bigger I have more issues. This is coming from someone who has a 120 tank w 29g fuge and 29g sump. Lots of macro and a skimmer rated for over 400g. About 200lbs of LR. No matter how good the equipment you can only stretch things so much.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think (stress thing) all he has in there now is the "2 PJ cardinals and a royal gramma"

If this is correct that's a good start. Now go slow... allow the tank a few weeks to mature and adjust to these fish. It took me 6 months to get my 90g tank stock to the ratio your 28 is now with just 3 fish.

Keep in mind that if you push your bio-load over it's current ability to be efficient you'll create a cascading effect on your water conditions which will snowball into sickly fish. If you go slow and let the system "mature" between stocking your tank, your fish and your WALLET will be better off in the long run.

Hang in there... you've been given some GREAT advice and it sounds like things are turning in your favor now. Go slow... learn as you go and all will be better off in the end :)

lcstorc

Assuming Al is correct, IMO after allowing the tank to stabalize (several months) you could add the false perc but then you are done stocking. Even that is pushing things and you will need to monitor very closely and do frequent water changes.

lcstorc

Only your testing can tell. If you have zero amonia, zero nitrites, and low nitrates (< 20) you are doing fine. These levels are based on a good test kit not strips or relying on the lfs to say if your water is "good" or "bad"