Help Picking New Fish plz

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes the Valentini does stay relatively small but I would never recommend keeping 2 puffers in such a small tank as aggression issues will certainly arise leading to stress and disease. Also Puffers are messy eaters and high waste producers as has been mentioned, excellent filtration is necessary for these dirty fish, a Protein skimmer is a must IMHO. Although I like LA I would beware of recommended tank sizes by them or any other business.

Also isn't the Leopard Puffer a brackish water fish ? If so don't know how well they would do in a marine type setup.

Yes the Valentini does stay relatively small but I would never recommend keeping 2 puffers in such a small tank as aggression issues will certainly arise leading to stress and disease. Also Puffers are messy eaters and high waste producers as has been mentioned, excellent filtration is necessary for these dirty fish, a Protein skimmer is a must IMHO. Although I like LA I would beware of recommended tank sizes by them or any other business.

Also isn't the Leopard Puffer a brackish water fish ? If so don't know how well they would do in a marine type setup.

Yes they are my lfs keeps them in salt ive had him since late february... its simply a matter of slowly acclimating them to saltwater.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm sorry I just can't help you pick another fish, your bio-load is already high and adding anymore fish is a recipe for disaster. Also puffers can be aggressive once established so any smaller fish will be continually nipped or worse.

plecosword

Puff, is there any way you could get a larger tank for them? Puffers have teeth, I thought they were peacefull, it ate my guppy!:smck: but that was a long time ago.

anyway, seems you want to know what fish are compatible with puffers, This should help you learn what fish can live with each other.
Marine Compatability Chart

Yes, i actually had previously looked at that, which is what made me unsure of whether it would get along with a pseudo... It says with caution... that probably means that with a leopard, it would be bad news... Cheeks, i understand, you dont want to help something you dont agree with. Not a problem.

funkpolice

I can sympathize with your desire for lots of fish, but like it's already been said, they need more room. Maybe you can get a few more smaller tanks, or a bigger tank at least. Fish are just like cats and dogs, you have a responsibility to provide the best living conditions you possibly can. If you can't change your tank situation, maybe give back the puffers and get a few really small fish. My royal gramma is a really cool looking fish with a ton of personality. I hope everything works out good for you, but you're heading down a dark path in my opinion.
bill

plecosword

I can sympathize with your desire for lots of fish, but like it's already been said, they need more room. Maybe you can get a few more smaller tanks, or a bigger tank at least. Fish are just like cats and dogs, you have a responsibility to provide the best living conditions you possibly can. If you can't change your tank situation, maybe give back the puffers and get a few really small fish. My royal gramma is a really cool looking fish with a ton of personality. I hope everything works out good for you, but you're heading down a dark path in my opinion.
bill
That's exacly what I was going to say about getting another tank(s).

These fish are small enough to be in my tank... i only want 1 or 2 more fish... that are small... thanks for the politeness, though.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
whats wrong with that?

I don't know maybe the fact that some of them will grow 2' or longer in length ? I think that would be a problem in a 28 gal tank don't you ? Or that they will swallow anything they can fit in their mouth including smaller fish ?

phillsy4

Puff your the kind of guy who should do a slow build over the course of a year or two of a 150 or bigger predator tank.You can pick up some things used and take your time and build your perfect tank little by little,that way you can get all those bad as predators your looking for.

plecosword

Puff your the kind of guy who should do a slow build over the course of a year or two of a 150 or bigger predator tank.You can pick up some things used and take your time and build your perfect tank little by little,that way you can get all those bad as predators your looking for.
yeah, check out craigs list! you will always find crazy steals! really, people just give stuff away there!

Well, thank you for these posts, guys, but last night i descided im going to turn my current tank into a peaceful F/O and take back my puffers... see any problems with a 28 gallon holdng certain peaceful fish (such as a royal gramma)?

plecosword

Well, thank you for these posts, guys, but last night i descided im going to turn my current tank into a peaceful F/O and take back my puffers... see any problems with a 28 gallon holdng certain peaceful fish (such as a royal gramma)?
Good job Puff! Im proud of ya! (it was a hard desicion for me too, I still want a zebra eel)

Royal gramma is semi aggressive, should be ok with most peacefull fish.

lcstorc

Very good decision. Be sure not to overstock with the small fish. It is easy to do.
Personally I love clown gobies as small colorful peaceful fish.