Greg and Mellina's Tank (RSM250)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Greg

Waht you think of a Mandarin in your tank?

I've thought about it but I'm still on the fence. They are such beautiful and spectacular creatures and I would hate to starve one to death. If I could find one that I knew ate frozen food as well as pods I might go for it! :)

ziggy

I was chatting a little about it with Diana. I was wondering if a store had one and they said it eats at the store, whether it gave confidance to ask to come back and actually watch it eat the frozen to see they were telling the truth.

You think that might work?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would definitely want to see it eat frozen before I purchased it.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I completely agree with Greg, I ask to always see my fish eat before I buy them :) Even if they aren't a fussy species, if your lfs oblige happily you've got a good lfs :) Once the fish has been feed I wander the rest of the store and give the fish a chance to clear itself before going into a bag :)
With fussy species, it's definitely a good idea!! The other question you want to be asking with these types of fish is how long it's been in the store for because that's another factor that needs considering. With a mandarin I'd have a little breeder box/net in the tank so you can give it special attention for the first few days to make sure it's happy and eating before it disappears into the tank :)

Tokalosh

PODS and a mature uncompetitive environment is key!!!

If you have any type of Wrasse or Scoot then I would think twice, also if you have a UV hooked up to your tank you can forget it.
These guys love a well matured semi dirty environment with lots of tiny creepy Krawlies, otherwise you will watch them starve to death in front of you.

A very beautiful fish but requires constant TLC.

Tok

Wolffman64

PODS and a mature uncompetitive environment is key!!!

If you have any type of Wrasse or Scoot then I would think twice, also if you have a UV hooked up to your tank you can forget it.
These guys love a well matured semi dirty environment with lots of tiny creepy Krawlies, otherwise you will watch them starve to death in front of you.

A very beautiful fish but requires constant TLC.

Tok

Amazing pic!!!

KarlyBoy

I have a mated pair of Mandarins, well they appear to be in separable so I am assuming, they are dating seriously, the female took Mysis whenever it was going, the male less so til last week, then after taking cyclopeeze, he took to the Mysis, they can be coaxed onto it if you are patient, mine are both fat little boogers ...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a mated pair of Mandarins, well they appear to be in separable so I am assuming, they are dating seriously, the female took Mysis whenever it was going, the male less so til last week, then after taking cyclopeeze, he took to the Mysis, they can be coaxed onto it if you are patient, mine are both fat little boogers ...

Love hearing from enthusiasts when they say they have fat Mandarins, maks me :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Love hearing from enthusiasts when they say they have fat Mandarins, maks me :)

I want one, actually I'd like to have a pair. But I want to know....should I add them at the same time?
I could be happy with just one but they might be happier as a couple. My tank-a-versary date is coming up soon and I should have plenty of pods in my refugium by then maybe. :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I want one, actually I'd like to have a pair. But I want to know....should I add them at the same time?
I could be happy with just one but they might be happier as a couple. My tank-a-versary date is coming up soon and I should have plenty of pods in my refugium by then maybe. :)

Sorry but I have no idea, hopefully one of the experts will chime in.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I was thinking of getting another one as well but have no idea what the sex of the one I have is

males have a much longer dorsal fin..You can have a male and a female or two females in a tank together, but two males will fight... but it's hard to tell when they are young

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I was thinking of getting another one as well but have no idea what the sex of the one I have is

My take - see how this one does for six months, if he's still going strong, fat and happy, add another one.