Glad to join the family

Hey everyone I started this hobby buying a tank at a garage sale for a fantastic price and I figured the kids would enjoy it. The tank sat for months and I didn't really have a desire to start it because fresh water fish really didn't excite me. My wife had her hobbies and I had mine and they were vastly different. Then one day I realized that my wife was in love with corals and so I figured I would turn the tank into a reef tank. I began researching the process and I was immediately hooked. My wife and I finally have a common hobby that we are both interested in. I am here to learn and share my experience with others that have fell in love with this hobby.
So thanks everyone and I look forward to reading your posts and commenting when I can.

P.S.
I'm still a newbie but I am learning fast. I have my 35 lbs of dry rock curing and look forward to entering the cycling stage.
:happywalk :happywalk

28 gal tank, 35lbs dry rock (curing)

Last edited:

kyle4201

Welcome! If I can b of any help I will do my best. Being new myself I have learned everything I know from thw good people on here. Feel free to check out my chronical & any input is welcome. Im excited to see your progress. :)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Welcome to RS. Don't be shy to ask for help and pointers :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Just started my reef chronicle. So excited to document the whole thing and I would love any advice on my methodology of curing and cycling my tank.
Can you guys tell me the most efficient way to add pictures to my chronicle?
And thank you all for the warm welcome. Looking forward to knowing some of you better.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! Looking forward to seeing your tank progression!

How long should I wait after adding my first fish before I can think about adding a coral? And do any of you have any recommendations on what would be a good coral to start off with?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Once your tank cycles... you can add cuc, 1st coral, 1st fish

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

a3upa9ah.jpg
Thought I'd post a pic of my dry rock curing setup. I have three powerheads, heater, and overflow filter to add O2 into the water. Thought that the added O2 might help with the process and growth of aerobic bacteria. What do you guys think? I was thinking of adding a shrimp also. I've been adding flake fish food but I don't see an increase in ammonia. In fact after the first serge I haven't seen any other spikes. I'm pretty sure that all of the decaying material is off the rock but I want to be sure before I move it to my tank to cycle. But I read on the package of my live sand that it helps with the curing of live rock. When should I move the rock to my tank? I kind of feel like I'm wasting time and that I should at a very least also set up the tank so that bacteria can establish on the sand while I'm curing the dry rock. Thoughts?