Fraser's Seabray Adventure

Hello, my name is Fraser, and I have created this thread so as to catalogue this Seabray Adventure.

Not being satisfied with 'smaller' I decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my Red Sea Max 130D to a brand spanking new 48 x 18 x 24 Seabray!

I would have preferred a deeper tank, but owing to the morons who converted my apartment only allowing a space of 23" for access to the stairwell, (which should be a minimum of 24"), I could only get away with a standard 18 incher boohoo .. (whoever said bigger isn't better should be shot hence the title for this thread - god I sound like Dr. Ruth ha ha)

My new Seabray and sump is a whopper and totals 350 litres, (next to my Red Sea Max at 130 litres), so this should prove loads of fun :)

Here is the equipment so far :)

Seabray 48 x 18 x 24, Cabinet and Sump
Turbofloter Multi SL in tank sump
Eheim 3000 return pump
Vortech MP10
Hydor Evolution 4000
Rena 200w Smart Heater
2 x Marine White Aquaray 1000HD tiles
1 x Reef White Aquaray 1000HD tile
2 x Marine Blue Aquaray Strips

The cabinet finish is called Black Pamplosa which is a slate grey oak effect and matches everything in my flat, (which is completely colour co-ordinated of course lol) ... looks stunning!

WEEK 1

I bought 20kg of fully cured live rock and 2 bags of Fiji Pink Caribsea live sand, (as in this tank I am having a shallow sand bed) and added the salt water. Each day I dosed ZEOstart, to help control the Nitrates and after monitoring Nitrites, Nitrates and Ammonia, all three within 7 days reached zero. Calcium was 430 and KDH at 9.3 and Phosphates 0 ... so without any sort of spike I am good to go!

I am also planning on adding another Aquaray 1000HD Ultra Tile over the right side of the tank in a few weeks time, when funds allow. At the moment the light is not evenly spaced yet and the right side is looking very blue.

WEEK 2

I transferred all the contents of my Red Sea Max, (Rock, Fish, Inverts, Crabs, corals) over to the Seabray ... Took me four hours in all with 45 minutes of acclimatising for the fish and inverts ... the corals were transferred immediately as the temperature and salinity were the same in each tank. No corals have been placed on the right yet until I get the new HD Ultra Tile.

I wil continue to monitor all levels on a daily basis but am confident on the success of the move. From here I will update on a weekly basis and will post photos as and when something new happens ....

Enjoy x

Seabray01.jpg

Seabray02.jpg

Seabray03.jpg

Seabray04.jpg

Seabray05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
That is a very nice looking tank, will be following along :D

Wow that yellow in the other room there is disturbing :) lol

bbe22

Sharp looking tank, keep the pics rolling in please.

WEEK 3

Well as mentioned above I have been monitoring all levels on a daily basis and everything looks good.

The Nitrates have jumped up to around 15 but that was expected after disturbing the substrate in the Red Sea Max and probably also when transferring some of it to the new tank to help seed it ...

'Wiggles', 'Fred and Ginger', 'Charlie' and 'Guyliner' are ecstatic over the move, (not however while it was happening), but they have all settled in well and are loving their new home. Even 'Nip & Tuck' and 'Rennie' are completely happy which is a good sign.

Ginger has once again taken up hosting her Mushroom but I am a little miffed to see that Fred is following suit by trying to take up resindency in my Frogspawn :-( I hope he doesn't irritate it and cause harm to it, especially after losing my Cataphyllia when Ginger used to host that :-(

Will watch and see how it goes...

Today I am picking up my new HD Ultra Tile, yaaaaay, and will probably buy something else whilst I am down at my LFS .. am thinking about a Blood shrimp or two or maybe some more snails ....

On another note I found a new crab .. eeeek .. it is black with sharp looking pincers, (not like the discs on my emeralds). I managed to take the rock out of the tank and flush the crab out with RO water .. scary looking thing about the size of a 50p, (a bit bigger than a 25c coin) ... It is now in my sump and I will try and get a photo of it later to show you all and get some advice if it is a nice crab or a nasty one :)

That's all for now ....

LOL how very dare you Eric .. it is 'sunshine' yellow and really brightens up my kitchen LOL, (I suppose it does look a trifle severe in the photo)

cindyp

whats this got to do with gay men?? I musta missed something????

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Well I'd say you successfully achieved brightening up the kitchen :D

Nowellsy SNR

Great tank Fraser!!

Well done cant wait to get my next tank my 250 seems small now lol

Introducing my newest tank member .. 'Blanche'

A little skinny at the moment but ever so friendly and swam up to the front of the tank at my LFS ... and I couldn't resist .... won't be long before Blanche gets a good meal inside her ...

Blanche01.jpg

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Awesome setup Fraser. I'll be tagging along even though you have sort of deserted us :smirk:. I like your "how very dare you" line, I take it you are a Catherine Tate fan?

Thanks everyone.. it is really exciting watching the new tank evolve.. am continually checking on a daily basis all the levels and everything is going clockwork at the moment and will hopefully continue to do so ;-)

Found this little buddy today in my main tank, I guess he may have come in on the new live rock ... he is about an inch long and as I moved from left to right he slowly turned on the spot matching my movements before burying himself in the sand ... quite cool in a FREEEEEKY sort of way!

Does anyone know what kind of crab he is and whether he is reef safe or not ... I quite like him but for now I have gone and put him in the sump until I know whether he can be trusted in my main tank or if it is best to return him to the LFS ...

Any suggestions?

scarycrab.jpg