FishinBobs 90 gallon reef journey!

FishinBob

Well got the moonlights wired in today... Just have to start the canopy this week and then stain and seal then install!!! I have been working building stands and setting up a LFS so I have about 500-600$ credit to get my tank stocked can't beat that!!! Best way to fuel my new addiction!! Seemingly freebies!!

FishinBob

Yeah got lucky ... Was trying to buy some sand on craigslist met the guy to pickup come to find out he was married to my gfs good friend from high school... Long story short they were opening up a store and I got recruited!! So once I'm all ready and he has his livestock I'm Gunna have a heyday!!! Gunna start with some duncans, hammers, misc zoas,bubble coral, a few mushrooms and a couple choice acros don't know what kind yet!!! Boy am I ready!!

FishinBob

Well been working a ton and havnt been really able to just relax and tank watch.. Did a small 10 gallon pwc and leveled off the cal,Alk, mag and tanks looking great have some algae very little mostly growing jn fuge! Trimmer back the grape and tether calupra and placed in the fuge also and wow it took off! !mangroves are growing like crazy and cheat has easily quadrupled!
Tank about 1.5 months old
c6e4ea23-834d-3fe5.jpg

Fuge is almost overgrown
c6e4ea23-8273-8eb1.jpg

I think this is coraline growth on dry rock
c6e4ea23-82c5-1f72.jpg

A whip gorgoanian which opened up
c6e4ea23-82e8-895c.jpg

Sponges are coming back and halimeda is growing nicely
c6e4ea23-838a-8063.jpg

Some stony coral and the peppermints
c6e4ea23-83d5-1540.jpg

Hard to see but a light bulb anemone got some peppermint in hopes they might keep the baby aptisia and LBA at bay! While I kill the larger ones
c6e4ea23-841b-3a48.jpg

Some other stoney corals forgot the name but starting get a teal center!
c6e4ea23-84a4-aad9.jpg

Soon as I get a little free time canopy and cabinet doors are sketched and led fixture it about complete waiting on a paycheck to finish it off... Good things reefing is a patient hobby it gives me an excuse!!

FishinBob

Thank blade and goby!! Got the wood today got it ripped down need to figure and hinge and hold open device... Lol I was thinking linear actuator for opening the canopy and drawer sliders to hold the lights so I can adjust as needed... Little hands on and figure it out from there... I'll grab the cannon and get some nice pictures!!

FishinBob

Well wish I had some more to talk about my tank but nothing has changed really... Peppermints have completely destroyed the rest of my aptasia as well as picked on a few feather dusters .. Those critters are mean!! Got some coraline growth on the glass that's nice but still havnt finished my hood :/ still working at my LFS for store credit here I come!!! Built a custom stand for a 350 gallon tank overall 9' tall 11' long and stand it 4' to bottom of tank it's HUGE!!!
c6e4ea38-51a2-81ee.jpg

Then some moldings
c6e4ea38-51ba-82f4.jpg

Me holding up the bartop for a quick view
c6e4ea38-51e7-c421.jpg

Only another week or so then I finally get to finish my project!! Then start my stocking!!!! Wooot!!!

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looks amazing!
That's almost exactly what I want to do with my 350, any chance of some bracing pics? :)
And you said tank is 4' off the ground?
Is the tank about 30-36" tall?
If so, how tall are you? (for eye level reference)

Thanks a ton.

....Color by Technicolor....

FishinBob

Looks amazing!
That's almost exactly what I want to do with my 350, any chance of some bracing pics? :)
And you said tank is 4' off the ground?
Is the tank about 30-36" tall?
If so, how tall are you? (for eye level reference)

Thanks a ton.

Thank sk8 it's my new pride and joy!! Yup it's a 350 acrylic 8'long x 2'wide x 34" tall. I'm 6'1" and bottom of tank is 49"! We used a 2x6 top plate doubled with 14 vertical braces also doubled made of 2x4 also used 2x6 steel corner braces to remove any excess wobble with a 3/4" top. added a 2'x8 platform to the back for maintenance and added support! We WAY over built the stand we estimated 5000 lbs(on the high side) should hold double that just to be safe

FishinBob

I will grab some pics tonight of framing and basic construction... Have to finish sanding and attach the bartop then a coat of stain and then the task of filling 350 gallons and washing it a couple times!! Also made a 12 x 20 gallon holding tanks and a stand for a L shaped 300 just have to finish the corner 90 then off to the races!! He'll after this project I might as well start a custom stand company lol!!

FishinBob

Beautiful work!

Thanks tn! Takes a while but gotta love the finished product!!! Lol wish I had time to finish mine got the wood for my doors for my stand going with a oak trim and maple inlay to add a little POP! It's awesome that I can combine all my passions into one hobby... Saltwater(fishing for fun and a living) woodworking( for fun and a living) and just general building stuff that led build was a task considering I havnt really done any serious soldering! Can't wait to get my hood up and light those Badboys up!!! I'm glad I got into reefing, my wallets not though lol

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Very cool. Thanks.

Can't wait for pics... :)

FishinBob

Heres the rest of the 350 stand it's a mess but we are almost to staining yeah I know waaaaaayyy overkill but Hahah it works
c6e4ea38-9c82-bdb7.jpg

c6e4ea38-fed7-9f36.jpg

c6e4ea38-feed-8237.jpg

c6e4ea38-fefd-3fe4.jpg