FishinBobs 90 gallon reef journey!

BLADEYAMAHA

Well couple days have passed and nitrites are finally dropping!!! Went from "Barney purple" to light purple! Cleaned all my sand and going to grab another 40lbs or so to make sure I have enough I want around a 2" sandbed in the tank and 5" in refugium!! On a brighter not I got my order from rapid led today!! Little disappointed Missing my power cords and 4 blue LEDs(might be backordered) and had 4 faulty royal blue LEDs( looks like someone went to 2 of them with a grinder) and the other 2 I dunno just won't light up!! Anyone else have any problems with rapid led?

Tanks finally leveling out

Temp. 78.5
Ph. 8.1
Ammonia. 0ppm
Nitrites. .5ppm
Alk. 8.4
Cal. 390ppm
Mag. 1200ppm

Going to start getting everything leveled once I start my PWC's.. Getting closer WOOT!

Great!

FishinBob

Well started my led build and it's going amazingly easily... I have barely any soldering experience (besides gps for my boat some misc car audio and the occasional o2 sensor) tinned all the wires and all 52 LEDs(all 4 pads) in a couple hours just some basic Internet reading an keeping that tip clean was all that was needed!! In that moment I decided 56 LEDs didnt seem like enough so I ordered another 12rb,12cw plus 4 neutral whites, 4 420 uv bulbs!! Lol 82 seems like enough so total 36 rb, 36 cw, 4 blues, 2 reds, 2 greens, 4 neutral whites, and 4 uv bulbs and I have a semi broad spectrum fixture!!! Here are a couple quick
pics
c6e4e868-ddec-1dad.jpg
c6e4e868-de06-5ce9.jpg

c6e4e868-de2a-40f3.jpg

BLADEYAMAHA

Well started my led build and it's going amazingly easily... I have barely any soldering experience (besides gps for my boat some misc car audio and the occasional o2 sensor) tinned all the wires and all 52 LEDs(all 4 pads) in a couple hours just some basic Internet reading an keeping that tip clean was all that was needed!! In that moment I decided 56 LEDs didnt seem like enough so I ordered another 12rb,12cw plus 4 neutral whites, 4 420 uv bulbs!! Lol 82 seems like enough so total 36 rb, 36 cw, 4 blues, 2 reds, 2 greens, 4 neutral whites, and 4 uv bulbs and I have a semi broad spectrum fixture!!! Here are a couple quick
pics
c6e4e868-ddec-1dad.jpg
c6e4e868-de06-5ce9.jpg

c6e4e868-de2a-40f3.jpg

Even Better!

FishinBob

Thanks blade an matt!! Blade I have read through some previous posts u made about the 3 watt 420 uv LEDs I heard they we not to noticeable except in like a moonlight mode... I have heard in small amounts they help sps color up a bit what's your thoughts? Yeah started attaching to heatsink and soldering up and noticed I need some nylon washers and a new tip for the iron... Going to try and get most of one heatsink done minus the LEDs that are being shipped now total of 40-42 LEDs per heatsink!!

FishinBob

Well had to test a string tonight... Got the day off tomorrow so im going to finish as much as I can on this heatsink and wait for parts Tuesday!! Here's a quick pic for anyone following!!
c6e4ea3e-84fe-3df9.jpg

FishinBob

Took a break on the LEDs for today I need the rest of the kit to finish... And I noticed that I have some shorts where the screws hit the solder pads so I'm going to need some nylon washers.. But then shouldn't be more than a couple days and should have a good first test then jut need to make a canopy so I can hang them and enjoy my work!!! On another note I added my sand and DSB in my fugue finally looks like a tank!!! Tank has finally cycled I believe!!

Temp. 78.7
Ph. 7.9(need to up tonight)
Amn. 0ppm
Nitrites. 0ppm

Havnt tested nitrates or phosphates yet but once the sand settles I will!!
Here are a couple pics!! Also I like this caribean pink sand but my powerheads blow it around to much might have to add a bag of crushed coral ;(
Sand added to tank
c6e4ea3e-f754-c2b2.jpg

DSB and some mangroves
c6e4ea3e-f776-77d5.jpg

The whole shabang
c6e4ea3e-f79c-5c3b.jpg

FishinBob

Well continuing to build my led panels got a bit sidetracked last night and built a 14 LED fixture for my 10 gallon reef tank I'll get some pictures later tonight wow is all I can say it's bright and I love that shimmer!!
The fixture
c6e4ea3e-19dd-25f2.jpg

Waitin on some nylon washers and have to get some main wire then i should be able to hammer these fixtures out!! 90 gallon has finally cycled!!! Added some cheato and a couple snails last night for the he'll of it!

Temp. 79.5
Ph. 8.2
Ammonia. 0
Nitrites. 0
Nitrates. 20
Phos. .36

Will be doing after my first PWC here in a few days gotta start bubbling some saltwater!! What do you guys recommend for first PWC? 20 gallons?

FishinBob

Still waiting on a few parts to finish up the fixtures about 50% done with both just need washers and blue LEDs and maybe another driver do I can dim the reds, greens, UV's, and blues then have the royal blues and whites on their own dimmers soni can fine tune the color!! Here is a quick pic of the 10 gallon fixture its 14 crees 7 royal blues, 5 cool whites, and 2 blues! Love the color excited to see what the big heatsink looks like!
Before with 2 par8 5k fixtures
c6e4e920-8aa0-9e83.jpg

After with the crees the picture do no justice!
c6e4e920-8af1-ecab.jpg

no optics hung about 10-12" from water line lowering to about 6" once I get a splash shield and corals acclimate! Hope to be done with the 90 gallon fixture by the end of the week...hoping!! Then canopy and livestock!! WOOT getting
Closer every week!

FishinBob

Lol yup but life happens so it's all good I kinda like the sit around and wait approach!! Besides gives me time to save some monies so I can buy more stuff Hahah

FishinBob

Hey guys been trying to keep my head down and get this project going!! Added a light to the fuge used the 2 par8 5000k lights for now untill I save some monies and make a small Cree fuge light... Also added some cheato and snipped back some of the grape and feather calupra in the display and added to fuge also added a bunch(too many mangroves prolly red, black, and white) have a nice steady diatom bloom added a few mexicans and like 10 astreas! Killed a few aptasia and learned I was killing light bulb nems not majano's! Recently have seen couple Isopods and am removing any one I see and feeding to the mantis(I got a video too) sorry I'm pretty excited!!
Tank stats:
Temp. 78.5
Ph. 8.1
Ammonia. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrates. 15
Phosphates. .68
Cal. 420
Alk. 8.2 dkh
Mag. 1150. (raising slowly)

Hoping the macros will start working and ina couple days do a 25 gallon PWC as my first change! Well led is coming along just have to solder 120 more connections and wire it all up!!

Fuge setup
c6e4e940-b710-fe1b.jpg

c6e4e940-b72c-1d10.jpg

The money makers WOOT almost done!!
c6e4e940-b75c-cce3.jpg

FishinBob

Getting closer everyday... Finished both heatsinks wired one whole heatsink in 3 hrs... Took me
Longer to route the wires...tomorrow hopefully wire in the molex 12 pin connectors to the ballasts and the individual heat sinks( want it plug and play so I can add or change colors as wanted).. Only problem I have is that each heatsink has 18 of each rb, 18 cw, had to split the last 2 drivers between both heatsinks so will have to make a y adapter so I can run one heatsink at a time need be! I'll quit rambling!!
c6e4ea82-0298-470a.jpg

c6e4ea82-02b6-56a6.jpg

FishinBob

Well finally got it alll wired up just have to make my final wire solders then loom it and call it a day!! I have a short somewhere they all light up but when one string gets power the other string lights up lightly!! Need to address that then over the tank they go!! Here are some quick pics iPhone doesn't like all that light!
!
c6e4e832-f879-a51a.jpg

c6e4e832-f897-e0b5.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Very clean good work dude. Lets see those things over water.

,......im Matt n i support this message

FishinBob

Thanks matt!! Believe me i want some tank shots too!!! Yeah one project down another to go now I just have to build the canopy!! Here are a few more pics
Whites,neutral whites,greens & reds
c6e4e832-e3e8-a45c.jpg

Royal blues and blues
c6e4e832-e41a-bb9c.jpg

All on 100%
c6e4e832-e434-d127.jpg