FishinBobs 90 gallon reef journey!

FishinBob

Hello all!!! Well this is my first SW tank after months of research and collecting up parts for my tank I finally got it all set up... Here's what I got!

90 gallon tank
Custom DiY solid oak stank
2 40watt t8 bulbs 1 blue, 1 10k
(will be upgrading to DIY LEDs here in the next week or 2, going with 56 Cree 3watt LEDs on 2 6x20" heatsinks)
Custom DIY 40 breeder sump/fuge
Mag 9.5 return pump
4" felt filter sock(to thick I think)
Reef octopus xs 200 skimmer
2 hydro korola 1400 powerheads
300 watt heater
40lbs of pukani dry rock from BRS
45lbs of dry Fiji base rock(roughly)
85lbs of rock from floridaliverock.com
(teaming with life both good and bad)

I read that the pukani from BRS leached phosphates pretty bad so I soaked them for about 4 weeks prior to adding just to help reduce them!
Drove to Tampa to get the live rock from Dale at floridaliverock last weds and since the tank wasnt ready started curing/removing hitchhikers in separate totes! Got about 5-7 majano's off(injection of boiling water/vinegar)... About 10 gorilla and stone crabs off... And a bunch of bristles which were small but still wanted to limit amount In tank... And one cute but mean mantis!! I know of a couple more critters in the tank as
Of now but I'm removing them as I see um! Also removed most of the sponges and decaying matter every so often to help speed the cycle! Well got the tank all set up filled and got basic parameters in check.. Rock is cycling in tank right now.

Temp. 79.5
PH. 8.1-8.2
Salinity 1.023-1.024
Ammonia 1ppm(maybe tad more)
Nitrites. 0.25ppm

Using seachem stability and prime as directed by LFS to help with bacteria production! Got about 27 gallons of saltwater bubbling now for a water change! Havn't scaped or added sand yet still trying to get those last crabs aptasia and majanos!!Please any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated!! Here are some pics!!

Tank all set up and cycling! WOOT!
c6e4eba9-4f70-670e.jpg

c6e4eba9-4eb1-7220.jpg

40 gallon custom sump/fuge
c6e4eba9-4eda-9339.jpg

Some pictures of the live rock
c6e4eba9-4f1a-2d2c.jpg

c6e4eba9-4fb9-fa46.jpg

More of the rock cherry pieces
c6e4eba9-4f3d-c22f.jpg

FishinBob

Thanks can't wait to start scaping it out love the look of the pukani but love the growth and life of the live rock!! I'm completely hooked!!! Welcoming the addiction with open arms!!!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I saw fishing Bob n I had to check it out. Nice build Bob. Thanks dude. Keep it up

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

FishinBob

Thanks guys much appreciated!!! Well did a quick ammonia test this morning and it dropped slightly to 1ppm or less I had planned to do a 20% water change today since I thought the ammonia was climbing a bit should I wait it out for a day or 2? Mainly wanted to remove some of the grime built up on bottom of tank!

Day. 8 cycling rock day 3 in tank

Temp. 78.5
PH. 8.0
Ammonia. 1ppm
Nitrites. .25ppm

FishinBob

Well ammonia is starting to drop a bit and nitrites are building up couple more days and I will be doing the aquascape and adding my sand and doing a large water change. Need to buff the ph but guess and test alk, cal,mag tonight!! Loosing some of those beautiful sponges but guess that's par for the course!! Anyone know where I can get sponges online? Well got my order all tallied up going with 56 Cree 3watt LEDs on 2 heat sinks 24rb,24cw, 4 blues, 2 reds, and 2 greens.. All on dimmable drivers! Added those extras Just to add a bit more spectrum! Will probably add another 24 LEDs later down the line but figure 56 should work for the basic mushrooms and softies!!

Ph. 7.9
Temp. 78.6
Ammonia. .25-.5ppm
Nitrites. 3-5ppm can't quite tell color

tnwillia

Slower is better I'd give the tank 30 days minimum to cycle weather it needs it or not, just my .02. Good luck!

FishinBob

Thanks tnwilla, that's what i was thinking make sure it's able to take a bio-load!! When would you recommend adding my cleanup crew? ...Glad to get some advice from someone... As they say patience is the key!! Gunna test all other parameters tonight and adjust

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Hey bob, i know im late to the party but hey better late then never. Any way, not to take away from the tank by any means because it looks great! I do a fair amount of wood working myself and i have to say kodos to the stand. I really like the way you kept it so simple yet made i look super classy and professional. You would have no problem putting the finest piece of art in that stand and yet people would still be hard pressed to focus exclusively on just the art. Super job!

FishinBob

Tnwilla thanks a ton great read saved the PDF... I'm using the complete red sea lineup lots of great reviews ...all test kits and supplements. I have had a 10 gallon up and running in my room for about 3 months now have a hammer, some polys and ricordias and have been getting used to the test kits and ca/alk/mg dosing to prepare for the big tank.... Just realized tonight it's 120% larger so the 10ml dose on the small tank is now 120ml lol it goes fast!!! Thanks a ton bear!! That's exactly what I wanted not to over the top but still a bit classy! I'm ordering my LEDs on Monday then I'm going to build my canopy next week so once the LEDs are done just hang and forget it!!

FishinBob

Little update today I started scaping the rocks untill my back hurt! Turned out alright wish I had a bit more of the live rock and wish my pukani wasn't bleached white but time will
Come! Here it is so far might mess with it tomorrow!
c6e4eb99-fc01-ffe1.jpg

Tanks on day 12 cycling nicely finding more life daily!!

Temp. 79.5
Ph 8.1
Ammonia. 0ppm
Nitrites. 5+(using API so it's off chart)
Alk. 8.5 dkh
Cal. 380ppm
Mag. 1190ppm

Adding stability and prime daily...and waiting it out! Cleaned all my sand today too only have about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket so Gunna prolly need more for a good sandbed and a DSB in the fuge! Anyone use the fuge mud/miracle mud... I'm planning on 5-10 mangroves and have read it's quite beneficial for root growth in them anyone got any input?

FishinBob

Thanks blade that's all I needed haha I didn't want to anyways... Yeah just wanted some smaller live pieces to fill in and give a bit more color... Can't wait for the cycle to finish ... I actually want a bit more plant life think thats gunna be my first investment ...love the halimeda and other greens adds some contrast to the coraline!!

FishinBob

Well took the plunge today ordered 56 LEDs from rapidled today got 2 6"x20 black heatsinks 24 royal blues, 24 cool whites, 4 blues, 2 greens, and 2 reds and 4 royal blue moonlights all on dimmable drivers! Will be putting 12rb,12cw,2 blues,1green,1red and 2 moonlights on each heatsink! Total of 60 LEDs including the moonlights! Was going to add another 12rb but figured the reason I'm DIY is so I can upgrade later!!! WOOT now I need to get in gear and make my canopy!!

FishinBob

Yeah me too!! Love the look of LEDs and the ability to add colors such as red,uv,green,cyan and more are great can't see spending 1.5k on Pre-builds and have no expandability.. But then again I love building stuff doesn't matter what it is!

FishinBob

Well couple days have passed and nitrites are finally dropping!!! Went from "Barney purple" to light purple! Cleaned all my sand and going to grab another 40lbs or so to make sure I have enough I want around a 2" sandbed in the tank and 5" in refugium!! On a brighter not I got my order from rapid led today!! Little disappointed Missing my power cords and 4 blue LEDs(might be backordered) and had 4 faulty royal blue LEDs( looks like someone went to 2 of them with a grinder) and the other 2 I dunno just won't light up!! Anyone else have any problems with rapid led?

Tanks finally leveling out

Temp. 78.5
Ph. 8.1
Ammonia. 0ppm
Nitrites. .5ppm
Alk. 8.4
Cal. 390ppm
Mag. 1200ppm

Going to start getting everything leveled once I start my PWC's.. Getting closer WOOT!