Favorite way to Cycle a new Tank

How do would you cycle your tank.

• Aged saltwater, insert agranite sand and uncured rock to begin cycle

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Aged saltwater, insert sand begin cycle, cure live rock for 2 weeks in bucket than insert rock to fi

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • aged saltwater, cure live rock in tank to cycle, add sand than finish cycle

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other- Please insert method

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

mbdave

Wow lots of methods, good ole live rock is what I use for tanks. If the rock is un-cured there is no need for a dead shrimp imo. Heres a little tale for you guys I exported fish from Guam when I lived there and we "me, and the two guys who did most the diving" had a very large holding facility. Typhoon Paka came through and we dumped it and put everything away to to keep it from getting blown over to Saipan, needless to say the bio media was bone dry for sometime and we had to cycle the system again, I helped Stan the diver put it all back together then I asked him what we will use to cycle the system, Stan smiled and urinated in the sump, ammonia at its finest.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I will be doing a new method for zeovit this time around.
Initial 14 day cycle by Korallenzucht
Day 0:

Install an appropriate sea water tank, install the sump, install necessary PVC tubing and make sure to give the glue enough time to dry !

Day 1:

1. Water
Fill the system with reverse osmosis water, if possible use the RO unit with a filter resin as last stage. Warm up the water to 20-25° C and install current pumps at the same time.

2. Current
We recommend a smooth and broad flow, about 20-30 times of the tank’s volume per hour. Also well approved is the combination with Osci-Motion – they create a very natural shifting streaming due to the pivoting pumps.

3. Sea salt
As soon as the water temperature is around 25 °C add salt slowly into the current and adopt the salinity around 34 %o. Live rock can be added as soon as the salt has dissolved completely and the water is clear.

4. Live rock
It is very important to use fresh and clear live rock, approx. 10 % of the tank’s contents After you bring in the live rock in the tank, the sand bed is next. At this time the skimmer is started as well as the ZEOvit® filter and the tank needs light now!

5. Sand bed
Now you can add a shallow sand bed. Use crushed Coral Sand or Aragonite. Do not use Live Sand in combination with the ZEOvit® system. Soak the material in reverse osmosis water for 3-4 days before use and replace osmosis water daily. If the PO4 level of the water is close to zero the sand is ideal.

6. Start the ZEOvit® filter and skimmer
Use 1 liter ZEOvit® for each net 400 liter (100 US gallons) of water tank volume. Do not exceed flow rate through the filter of 400 liter (100 US gallons) per hour maximum per each 1liter ZEOvit®. Start your protein skimmer.

7. Lighting and other technical equipment
Start the lighting min. 10 hours per day. Start also all other technical equipment now.

8. Dosage
The addition of ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power can be started now.

ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 liters/25 US gallons
ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 liters/25 US gallons
Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 liters/25 US gallons

Day 2 and Day 3

Dosing break.

Day 4:

Dose ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power as recommended on the products label:

ZeoBac 1 drop / 100 liters/25 US gallons
Sponge Power 1 drop / 100 liters/25 US gallons
ZeoStart2 0.1 ml / 100 liters/25 US gallons 2 x daily

Day 4-10:

Different algae phases can appear, like some brown slime algae followed by some healthy green algae. Use the same dosage like described for day 4 above. Double check Salinity.

Day 10:

First herbivore fish (max. 2 per 200 L) can be added, also sea urchins and turbo snails. You should also be able to add the first not to sensitive corals like branching Montipora. Add now the Activated Carbon.

Activated Carbon:
As soon as the first animals are stocked into the system, add the Activated Carbon: 0.5 – 1 Liter per 1000 liters as recommended. Replacement interval 30 days.

Day 11-14

Keep dosage as described for day 4. Test Carbonate Hardness and Salinity carefully. More corals can now be added into the system if the basic water parameters are in the recommended ranges. Additional fish can be added but should be done very slow. Also fish feeding has to be done very carefully in this phase as biology is not very stabile in this phase. Do not add more fish than 1-2 fish per 250 liters per week. After additional 4 weeks you can add the rest of the fish which where planed for the system.

Starting from day 14:

ZeoBac 1 drop / 100 liters/25 US gallons 2-3 x weekly
Sponge Power 1 drop / 100 liters/25 US gallons daily
ZeoStart2 0.1 ml / 100 liters/25 US gallons 2 x daily

The dosage needs than eventually be adjusted depending to the general look of the tank, the parameters or the corals. Later on, additional products can be used. We would recommend to start wit the regular water changes at week 4 – 6.

seabass

I thought the deli shrimp was a werid method when i first heard it(thats how i did it also just threw him in there on a rock),but then I think I read a post about just taking a pee in it lol?Is that something that has been used?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Frankie - going to start a thread on the 14 day cycle?

seabass - yes, it's been done but I've never seen any specifics on how often to "dose", etc. LOL!

Reddog170

Get my water mixed, put in sand then water then rock. Bring it to temp, toss in a shrimp and wait. Then test and wait.... Thats it.

nightfire76

STEPS TO CYCLING WITH ALTERNET METHOD

well on day one what you do is pee in the tank or sump if it is running, onn day 2 you do the same all the way til day 14, once you rech day 14 you have to make sure you have eaten brocolli to up the natural salts found in it to there by intriduce a pure form of natural elements and this is dont for another 10 days where you will find that if you test the water there is no ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are very high....once this happens you do a 100% water change and you are ready to go....just an fyi....boys try not to do this infront of your gal friends as it might cause a slight amount of weirdness not to mention is there is a camra present there might be blackmail in valved....and a word to the ladies that think about this....no you may not want to try this alternet method of starting the cycle because honestly God did not build you with the proper equipment to do so LOL ok ok ill addmit that this is not the real steps for it but hey why not have a laugh? LOL