Eric's RSM650

eric w

Haven't opened them yet I will let you know.. Anyone else out there when moving the tank put it on its side (so tank standing 64 inches tall) to get it through the door..just trying to figure the best way to get it through the door..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric w

f3db3f712cadcacb794378172f38425c.jpg

Joeys Tank

I wouldn't put the tank on its side and rest it there. I would be afraid of what unexpected stress would do to the seams.

eric w

As I wait for help with the DT I have a couple questions.. Do most folks with a 650 run a chiller.. I'm planing on it already but won't know till I get it up and going.. My second question is with this rock shown do you think it is enough for my bio filter.. I bought and prepped about 50 lbs of the brs reef saver.. I was going to throw some of it in the sump but wasn't sure if I should or not.,, thoughts?? Thx

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Most suggest 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds per gallon, I like a more open look and went with one pound per gallon, if the rock is nice and porous .

Nice looking rock & scape ... don't think I would add rock to the sump ... see what others think...

I would guess you will need somewhere around 150 pounds of rock for 150 DT (175 gallons with sump)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Eric can't tell by the pics height compared to the tank, but you will most likely have corals that do best in the sand and some will thrive best 1/2 way up and some will like it near the top of the tank - might consider building your scape with this in mind - hope this helps !

Joeys Tank

On the chiller ... I don't use one, but I keep my tank in the basement, no direct light, and use LEDs to keep heat down.

On the rock/sand ... there are rules of thumb out there, but comes down to two things. What kind of look are you going for (open vs reef) and what kind of filtration system are you going for (heavy bio or heavy mechanical). Your answers to those questions will help dial in on the amount of rock/sand. In my tank, I wanted a reef tank mainly using bio filtration. Therefore, my tank has 300 lbs rock and 175 lbs sand.

eric w

Thanks.. Guess I need to think about it for a bit..appreciate the input

eric w

Another question.. I got 2 pink, 5 blue/white, and 3 actinic lights.. Can some one tell me an order they should go? Thanks

StirCrayzy

I'm not sure I can answer the "should", because there's probably no wrong way...
But you "could" start frt to back W-A-W-P-W-A-W-P-A-W

During cycling is a good time to mess around visually with what you prefer, by swapping them around.