Eric's RSM650

eric w

Hi all,

I really need some help from smarter folks than myself. Im going to run a dedicated pump to a manifold for my chiller and reactors if needed. I have about 10 feet of horizontal run and about 10 feet of vertical run... about half of the vertical is going down not up....i will have 2 90 elbows...i will also have 3 more bends but not elbows as i will be using flex pvc.. i need at least 500 gph for my chiller...my manifold is a 4 port...not sure what to rate reactors at in regards to flow...one will be for carbon for sure...not sure i will need any more reactors...so the other ports will be closed...i will be running 1 inch pvc the whole way...can someone help me in regards to pump sizing...is this considered a closed loop? really lost on this one...thanks

Oxylebius

Hey Eric, you may get more feedback if you create a dedicated thread for this request. Instead of this request buried in your reef chronicle. You can always link to it from here as well.

StirCrayzy

I would say get a 900 gph pump as you'll probably lose half of that at 10' head. Should have enough flow left to run a couple reactors .

eric w

Ok well i went head and did my plumbing for my manifold.... i will be pulling from the left side of the sump and then dumping into the chamber with the return pump. You can see i plumbed everything except for the final lines to the pump (that i still need to size and buy) and to the return pump chamber....my question is the way i have the manifold setup..will it work....in regards to lets say a reactor for carbon...if i adjust the flow with one of the gate valves can the output be plumbed into that bottom manifold piece....will the water be able to flow correctly doing this....or do i need to plumb the reactor output through the wall to the sump?? Thanks againIMG_0638.jpeg IMG_0637.jpeg IMG_0636.jpeg ...

eric w

Haha.. Not the best with it.. Do you have any idea if above will work?? I'm just not sure if I can plumb in a reactor from the top to bottom.. I think I should be able to but just not sure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveR11

Haha.. Not the best with it.. Do you have any idea if above will work?? I'm just not sure if I can plumb in a reactor from the top to bottom.. I think I should be able to but just not sure..

No idea I'm afraid Eric. All this marine kit is new to me.

I was plumbing today - I have an RO/DI storage tank and was trying to plumb in another tank to mix salt water in. The pump moves RO water into the salt tank and then circulates it to mix the salt . Tried a leak test and it leaked so out with the silicone sealer.... Your pipework looks much better than mine!

StirCrayzy

This method I think has a couple flaws.
1. For better recirculation in sump, I would pull FROM the return section, and dump back into the normal inlet of the sump.
2. Water will follow the path of least resistance, so more flow will always bypass your reactor unless you add a valve to control/limit the flow beyond the reactor valves. That will force water to go through the reactors only.

I think you will always want some flow to bypass, because the water exiting the reactors into the bottom manifold will create some suction and could possibly cavitate air in the pipes behind the connection (in the bypass area) otherwise.

eric w

Thanks.. I'm going to get a variable speed pump that is large.. That way I can dial it back.. And I have the one gate valve at the end of the first manifold so I can control flow after the reactor valves.. The only place I can see to pull from is the left side of the sump as I'm buying a submersible pump.. Anyhow thanks again.. Hope it works!!!

StirCrayzy

Sorry, I totally read your sump in/out backwRds :duh:
and looking at your manifold the first time I thought it was just another outlet for a reactor.
:facepalm:
I stand corrected on both counts, carry on.

snappa53

4c866ab42430794f2a9351c4305710ce.jpg

Haven't posted much lately.. But this cleaner is awesome.. U can clean along the glass under the sand bed.. I still have a regular float cleaner but this is a must

I've got the same Tunze cleaner - it works without fear of scratching the glass - brilliant!

DaveR11

Eric i did u had a hard time putting that last leg support on after putting the sump on?
R u did before u set ur tank on top?

Hi Felipe,

I remember having the same problem with mine. I had put the tank on the stand and then fitted the sump followed by the last aluminium leg (part P?). I've lust looked back at my thread and can't find any specific comment but I think it was a tight fit. I may have unscrewed one set of the black plastic feet, got the leg in position and then screwed the plastic feet back on.

Best of luck, it will look fabulous when it is finished!

Dave

Hi Felipe,

I remember having the same problem with mine. I had put the tank on the stand and then fitted the sump followed by the last aluminium leg (part P?). I've lust looked back at my thread and can't find any specific comment but I think it was a tight fit. I may have unscrewed one set of the black plastic feet, got the leg in position and then screwed the plastic feet back on.

Best of luck, it will look fabulous when it is finished!

Dave
Good idea.. Thanks Dave