Electric shock and livestock

Bob 2128

Mass livestock extinction last night. One of my glass submersible heaters exploded, and although I caught it quickly the resulting electrical charge introduced into the aquarium killed all my fish. My question is: Will there be any residual "byproducts" remaining that would necessitate stripping the entire aquarium down? Or can I begin to restocking in the existing environment?

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

Bob 2128

Lost a maroon clown, yellow-tailed damsel, yellow tang, six-stripe wrasse, bicolored blenny, coral-banded shrimp, a zooanthid colony, some purple mushrooms, hammer coral, lemon tree, and numerous sand-sifters. The extinction was so total that I think I'm just going to use this as an opportunity to start from scratch with a larger system. Total bummer, though. I've had the clown for 12 years, the tang for 10.

Bob 2128

Unfortunately, no -- I never replaced the outlet with a GFCI. One of those things on the checklist that never materialized. Over the weekend I took the whole thing apart. This is the first time I've been without a marine aquarium in nearly 20 years. I'm trying to find a bright side, though. There have always been limitations to what I could accomplish because the hobby has developed so much over 20 years. Now I can get a brand new start with updated equipment and a larger aquarium. I'll have to deal with the withdrawal over the short-term, but I'll be back!!

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Yea you have to run a grounding probe in your tank. It should be a must for all reefers or aquarium keepers. Best 10 bucks you will ever spend.

Mojo

alfaman

I have a rsm250 red sea tank, what do I need to install? I am confused as to what a GFCI is. I assume it's an rcd.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just buy a grounded powerstrip. Just has to have the built in circuit breaker.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk