DStars RSM C250 big adventure

DStars

So do you have the LEDs installed or did you decide to just move on? If so, how was the install?

I haven't the LED's yet. Even though on Steve's website they said the lead time was only 2 days, it finally shipped today, over 2 weeks (including the Thanksgiving holiday) after placing the order. Such is life. I should get them later in the week, and hopefully do the retro fit over the weekend.

Adrienne

I'd be really interested to hear how it goes and any difficulties you have. They are a definite option for my tank as I will do anything to cut down on the amount of power my tanks are drawing - not because of the cost but because the fuses keep tripping!

DStars

Day 7 Update

I still haven't received the LED kit yet...it should have been delivered yesterday, but wasn't. Hopefully today.

Here are my tank numbers.
4966388.jpg

Not much as changed with the tank. And I am not seeing any algae growth.

I am following the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit.

Last night when I was dosing the KH-Coralline Gro, I noticed something which I don't remember the first 2 times I added this. Last night, the color of the liquid was brownish, plus when I added it to the tank, it looked like a whole lot of white specks. Is this normal for the KH-Coralline? Could it be the first 2 times I added this, I did not shake the bottle. (and the reason I do not have algae growth yet.)

Thanks

DStars

Thanks ADW.

Day 8 Update

This evening I am starting to see some light brown (with some green tinge) spots on the sand, as well as a few small spots on the rocks in a few places.

Oxylebius

Agree @adw311 it looks like precipitation. I'd follow directions if it says to shake the bottle. I'd also be careful not to contaminate the bottle with tank water (you don't want to cause precipitation in the bottle).

DStars

Agree @adw311 it looks like precipitation. I'd follow directions if it says to shake the bottle. I'd also be careful not to contaminate the bottle with tank water (you don't want to cause precipitation in the bottle).

It sounds like what I did.
What I have been doing, after each dosing, I rinse the dropper with tank water.
I guess I need to use RO/Di water I suppose.
Should I throw away what I have, and buy a new one?
Thanks

Oxylebius

@RedSeaKev - please review posts # 23 and 27 above. Possible contamination of tank water in KH-Coralline Gro, please advise. Thanks!

DStars - I always rise tank items in tap water followed by RODI water and allow to air dry. Before use I re-rinse in RODI water, shake dry. This way I'm not contaminating my solutions or tank water with anything unnecessary.

Kevin should be able to advise on what to do about the KH-Coralline Gro.

DStars

Thanks Oxy.

Day 10 Update

Much more of the brownish spots on the sand, as well as some on the rocks. Also have a few growths on the rocks (stringy branch like), have had a few for days, but they might be growing more now. See pictures below of both.

Also below are my testing numbers, as well as the dosing per the RS Mature Reef kit.

3608794.jpg

1228922_orig.jpg

7777516_orig.png

DStars

I'd be really interested to hear how it goes and any difficulties you have. They are a definite option for my tank as I will do anything to cut down on the amount of power my tanks are drawing - not because of the cost but because the fuses keep tripping!

The Steves LED's retrofit went ok. The installation is not very easy, but doable. It took two of us about 3 hours (more than the hour the instructions say :().
BUT...the lights look great, happy I did it.

Day 13 Update

The light brown algae had covered about 75% of the sand, as well as some of the rock.

Today I brought in the clean up crew.
30 small and medium small snails, 2 mexican turbo snails, 2 little crabs, and a star fish (one that goes into the sand).
I don't think so...but, should I be concerned if one or two of the snails are attached to another, or 3 are on the back of the mexican turbo snail?

I think I figured out the controller for the LED's.

I have it set start at 9am and go to 8pm. I have them all set during the day at 30%, and channel 4 (the blue only) at night at 25%.

Are these setting good for a new tank (no corals yet)?

adw311

The Steves LED's retrofit went ok. The installation is not very easy, but doable. It took two of us about 3 hours (more than the hour the instructions say :().
BUT...the lights look great, happy I did it.

Day 13 Update

The light brown algae had covered about 75% of the sand, as well as some of the rock.

Today I brought in the clean up crew.
30 small and medium small snails, 2 mexican turbo snails, 2 little crabs, and a star fish (one that goes into the sand).
I don't think so...but, should I be concerned if one or two of the snails are attached to another, or 3 are on the back of the mexican turbo snail?

I think I figured out the controller for the LED's.

I have it set start at 9am and go to 8pm. I have them all set during the day at 30%, and channel 4 (the blue only) at night at 25%.

Are these setting good for a new tank (no corals yet)?

Glad to hear you got it installed with out much of a problem. Perfectly normal for the snails to do that, unless they died, but even then they are only doing their job. If not, they will go their separate way in time. As for the light output, I would say since nothing is really in there that is fine and lower output might help keep algae at a minimum during your cycle.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it helps here is how I have my Steveleds...

The Typhon channels are as follows:

Ch1 - front white

Ch2 - front blue

ch3 - back white

ch4 - back blue.

Schedule is blues sunrise at 9am, whites rise at 9:30 am.

Whites sunset is 8pm and blues at 8:30.

Sunrise/sunset duration is 2 hour.……….

I started at 35% & raised them about 5% every two weeks am currently at 60%

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I use my leds as moonlights, so I actually ramp down to 1% at night if I remember right... I will check again in the early morning - must better than the stock moonlights, you can actually see the tank at night

Confirmed it's 1 % for moonlights

Last edited:

DStars

Any further updates?

Thanks for asking....I will do two posts with my updates.

Day 19 Update

I purchased and added 2 Snow Onyx Clowns, 1 medium Toadstool leather, and 1 medium Zoanthid (this one is nice, with a few blue pods (not sure what they are called.)

2807494_orig.jpg

1451265042.png
6301444_orig.jpg

The clown fish are a bit hyper, bopping around, but in a small area, and rarely go outside of one (front) corner of the tank. Plus they don't seem to be eating much.
I first tried some pellets - New Life Spectrum Thera+A Regular Formula. I tried dropping them in, then lowering my hand into the tank. Then I also tried a turkey baster to lower the food (after putting in tank water). Either way, they would take a few pieces, but not much. Tried that for 3+ days. Then today I bought some frozen Mysis shrimp. I thawed in tank water (about 1/3 of a cube), strained,and rinsed in tank water. Then I tried the turkey baster, and they didn't seem to want to eat them.

Back to the corals...
The zoanthid looks to be doing well...it bothers me when I see a snail climbing on top of him...but I guess that's normal.

About two days ago, I look at the leather, and see a problem...

First, it was all closed up during the day (with what seems like snail poop accumulated on top...but more than the snail I have could do...but then I see a small gash or hole (maybe 1/2 long) in one of the seems. I do not think it was there when I placed it in the tank, but that was the first one I placed in the tank...but could have missed it...or even damaged it when I placed it in my tank. (BTW, I did do a Coral Dip (from Coral Rx)). I blew off the stuff on top with the turkey baster, and moved it to a different location (rotated 180 degrees). That seemed to help. Then a day later (this morning), I see strands of mucus coming from the area of the gash/hole. It seems to be opening up fine though. Here are some pictures of it.

6438929_orig.png

5169235_orig.png

Thanks for any suggestions of help.

DStars

Day 23 Update

Here are my water tests from yesterday:
pH 8.2
KH 2.5
NO2 .05
NO3 15
NH3/4 .1

Today I added 4 frags (all small). The first 2 below opened up nicely already. The 3rd partially opened, but I think the current is too much where I placed it, and will likely relocate in the morning. And the 4th not sure what it is, and will see in the morning if it opens up.

1998140_orig.jpg

7537161_orig.jpg

92453_orig.jpg

4081502_orig.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just catching up on your tank progress. Congrats on the purchase and success so far.

As far as the leather is concerned, sometimes they will not open and shed a layer of 'skin' as they grow. Also, if your toadstool is anything like mine, it will drop buds, or chunks off the main coral, which grow in to new toadstools. When it starts, sometimes a tiny hole will develop and spread until a chunk falls off. I don't think I've paid for anything at my lfs the last couple of years, but used the credit I get for my toadstool frags.