DStars RSM C250 big adventure

DStars

Been lurking here for a few weeks, and I wanted to start my own tank thread.

Growing up, my family always had a fresh water tank. Either a 20-30 gallon tank built into our den wall, or a tank in our kitchen.

About 3 years ago, I moved, and then got a 36 gallon FW tank which I enjoyed but always wanted to try a SW tank.

In the spring of this year, my 12 year old nephew said he was going to get a SW tank, so I gave him a early birthday gift so he could get a bigger tank. I think he has a 24g cube.

At that time, I knew I was moving the end of June, so I decided to bring my remaining fish to my fathers tank, and start fresh at my new place. My plan is to have a mixed tank of corals (which I know very little about) and some fish.

After getting settled in my new apartment, I started researching about SW tanks, and if I could convert my old 36 gallon bow front to SW, and figured it would be better to go with a whole new tank and system and found out about the RSM C250 and RS here. Finding RS has helped me greatly in choosing the RSM.

I picked up my C250 two days ago from my LFS. I also ordered from them 40 pounds Reel Reef rock, 40 pounds of live sand, and one bucket Tropic Mainland BioActive Salt.

I also bought a small RO/DI system. Coming in the next few days is Tunze 3155 ATO system as well as the LED retrofit kit from Steve's LED's which I will install right away. I also have a water test kit coming,and a Milwaukee Digital Seawater Refractometer. I already got a TDS meter for my water.

I have the tank stand almost put together. I am wondering if I should pre-drill a few holes in the back of the tank stand on the right side, and or one between the left and right sides. My thinking is that I will not need a chiller with the Steve's LED retrofit. But will have a 4.4 gallon jug of RO water below for the ATO system. Should that go in the right side? (and is why I am asking should I pre-drill some holes now before the tank is set).

I am sure I will have a ton more questions, and want to thank everyone here for the help I already have received lurking, and in the future.

DStars​

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Welcome to the RSM Club on RS, Cheers for starting a tank thread ! Sounds like you have been doing your homework and are off to a great start ! :nessie:

Adrienne

Sounds great. If you are not intending to put in a chiller I would just put your ATO container on the left side of the cabinet. My chiller sits on the left and we drilled a hole through the back of the right hand rear panel for the ATO on the right. I use 4-5 litres per day of RTO over the summer which I think is just over 1 gallon?

DStars

Thanks for the welcome Nano and the tip Adrienne.

I have the stand all together, and the pumps, heater, ect in place.

I still have the ATO to set up (that will be later today.)

I think I will wait to fill with water till I have the Steve's LED retrofit all done. That way I can easily get the wires and cords neatly placed in the back.

I think I will drill a hole now between the left and right sides, just in case I need it in the future.

DS

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi adw,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

DStars

I have a quick question.

I am about to set up my rock scape and fill with water.

I saw in (I think) Petco a cement or epoxy for the rocks.

Do I want to "glue" the rocks together now, when I am filling for the first time? (I have about 60 #s of Real Reef rock)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I thought I was going ... but in the end & after changing the scape a 1/2 dozen times, I ended up not doing it, my Marco Rock locked well no avalanches in several years now - if this helps any

DStars

Thanks Nano. That was my thinking also. Also, I think it was Roy's tank thread, where he said he took out his rocks to scrub them when he had a bad case of GHA. It would have been tough is the rocks were all connected.

Day 0 Update

I have about 50 #'s of rock in (picture below), as well as 60 #'s of sand.

I am making my own RO/di water, so I likely won't have it filled for a full day.

Here is my rocks so far.
5465127_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Adrienne

Looks great. Do you have the rock stacked against the rear or is there a gap enough for you to get your hand down to clean the glass? You will likely move the rock several times to get the look you want. My current set up is just stacked but my new custom build which is a slow process will have the rock joined by acrylic rods :)

DStars

Yes, I left about 4 or so inches behind the rocks to get to the back. I just tested I can get to all of the back glass.

Do you folks think I have too much rocks. On a few other threads, some people only go up around half way. My top rocks are around 75% to the top.

I am getting the Steve's LED's retrofit. Will rocks that high be a problem with them?

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

Adrienne

I have about 30kg in my tank which is a bit too much. 1kg = 2.2lbs Sorry I cant help about the LED with your rock as I run the stock lighting but as long as there is good lighting cover I can't image so.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice looking porous rock, on the height, imo - I think that is about perfect, some corals love the sandbed, some will like it 1/2 way up & others will do the best up high.

If you are like many, you may change it up several times while the tank cycles... I did, caves & swim throughs are nice :nessie: there more than one way to go & no one right way, there seems to be about 50/50 on this... but I don't clean the back wall & have my rock so close that there is only room for fish to swim around, for me this added stability a few pieces even tough in places and one huge reason I wanted a more open area sandbed up front, lots of great corals love the sandbed. Again no one right way here imo, just some feedback & thought... great start !

DStars

Day 1 Update

First, I am using and following the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit.

Finally finished topping off with water later in the evening, and turning everything on.

My salinity is 1.024 and temp is 72 degrees ( only had the heater on a few hours)

Like most people, I am confused with the protein skimmer. I don't have much going on here yet in the beginning. I have bubbles filling the circle part, and the rest of that rectangle box is totally filled with water. Is that correct...or I shouldn't worry yet about this.

Thanks.

Adrienne

Sounds about right for the skimmer. Optimum for bubbles is to have them coming around midway up the circular part - most of the skimate (sludge) collects in that part and the collection cup is more for when you have a surge of nutrients causing it to bubble over the top. It is a fairly fine line between too much and not enough ime, and I still have the white tap on top of the air hose even after 15 months to keep it in check.

DStars

Day 3 Update
Yesterday I started the Red Sea Mature Pro routine, and continued today.
Also today I got my Tunze 3155 ATO hooked up. I was adding salt water to raise the salinity a bit.
Below is a new picture with the tank filled, as well as my tank log.
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

5213945_orig.jpg

8041321.jpg

DStars

I love the scape. It kind of reminds me of mine. :)

Thanks Pat. While I was waiting for my tank, I read your whole tank thread. I guess I liked your rocks and copied them somewhat. :)

I am still debating if I should do a few deli shrimp to help things out, even though I am doing the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit.

Thanks all.