Dive into my 90!!

rebekwl

I never got around to starting a chronicle on my 55 gallon, so I figure I should go ahead and start one now for my new 90 gallon.

Bluespotjawfish let us borrow a ton of containers and even tested our water for us. (Thanks Lorraine) Our perameters were WAY off so Lorraine helped us get them all in check. We found out that our Hydrometer was WAAAAAY off and our SG ended up being 1.029!!!! It's time to buy a refractometer ASAP! Our pH was very low too at 7.65 and is normally at 8.2. She also gave us some goodies to keep the Alk, Calc and Mag in check, YAY!! Now I must go and buy the much needed test kits. I should have them already, shame on me.

We started Saturday by filling up the 45 gal Brute with RO/DI water. We also filled up a 30 gal overnight to make sure we had enough. After the 45 was full we added our salt and let it mix overnight. I also rinsed the new sand on Saturday and (against my better judgement) put it in the bottom of the tank, to get a head start.

We started the official switchover at 8am Sunday morning. We first filled up a 30 gal container with fresh SW and transferred all of our LR to that container. Then we put some water in 3 smaller containers for our fish and corals. While catching the fish I realized that my Scooter Blenny was hiding under the sand somewhere, finding him was quite a task. After they were all transferred I realized that my Bi-Color Blenny was missing :( he's my favorite fish. I looked for him in the rock container for a while, but gave up quickly because we still had ALOT of work to do.

After transferring all of the fish to their temporary headquarters, we pumped all of the water from the 55 to the 90. After that we transferred all of the sand from the 55 to the 90 (again, against my better judgement). Once that was done we filled the tank just full enough to cover the LR and then transferred all of the rock fro them 30 gal container into the new tank. I attempted to wiggle the rock down to the glass, what a pain that was, I still have alot to do as far as the rock goes. Why didn't I put the rock in before the sand like everyone told me to? I have no clue!

After the rock was in the tank, some dug down to the glass, most not, we filled it the rest of the way with water, or we tried to anyways. We were out of SW besides what the corals and fish were being housed in. I had a tiny bit of salt, but I knew it wouldn't be enough so I was off to the store. Lorraine told me I should have more salt on hand. Did I listen? NO! So as I'm getting ready to walk out the door the phone rings. It's Lorraine asking how things are going. I told her I was heading out to get more salt and she offered to bring over some SW and salt to help us out. This woman is a God send, let me tell you!! So hubby goes to HD to pick up some misc gadgets while I wait for Lorraine. It was 10am when she called and I figured we were almost done. HA, who was I kidding!?!

Once Lorraine got there we were on a roll again. She helped with everything and gave us some great ideas that made everything come together. She helped with the lighting, the plumbing, pouring water, testing water, setting timers, and so much more!! We finally finished everything around 4:30 or so and put all of our babies in their new home. I was looking into the tank, hoping to see the Bi-color Blenny pop up and there he was!! He must have hidden in the rock the whole time, I'm so happy he's still with us.

So after a hard days work and one small flood, plus a few sprays in the face (LOL), we have our beautiful 90 gal all set up and ready to go!

Now I have a few things to buy and I will be set (Maybe :) ):
Refractometer
Calcium test kit
Magnesium test kit
Alkalinity test kit (that I can read, the one I have is horrible)
New Skimmer (Any suggestions??)

I can also get alot more fish, YAY! I can't wait to fill this thing up. I don't have any pics yet (I know, I know) but will get some up here as soon as I get home from work!

Thanks again Lorraine for all of your help! It would have been a disaster if we hadn't have had your wisdom to guide us! :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
* *Splash* *! I'm doing the backstroke in your 90! Great start to a chronicle, we all wish that Lorraine were around to help out. You're a lucky girl! I can't believe how far you have come, pat yourselves on the back!

Cassette87

Awesome! I had a feeling while reading through that, that the blenny would turn up:) Glad to hear everything is off to a smooth start! I enjoyed reading your chronicle "intro," and can't wait to see your new setup develop!

bluespotjawfish

:whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr: I like this thread already, except you didn't give yourselves enough of the credit, and you left out the part about how much your toddler was able to help us. Rebekah had all the hard work done by the time I got there and William was able to jimmy-rigged the canopy like there was no tomorrow. I'd still be sitting there looking at it because I would be afraid to do what he did. I would have to disagree with you on the listening part too. I think you both listened very well and had your own great ideas. It's hard to believe some people's crazy ideas sometimes. I can just hear you thinking about the water comment... "Why in the world would I need more water than my tank holds, you expecting a flood?"

I'm glad to see all your babies made it. It looks like the tank is clearing nicely. Can't wait to set you up with some frags! Did you mix up your two-part solution yet? Got your test kits and refractometer yet? If so, start posting your results so we keep you in check. Let's start with what the pH is today...

rebekwl

Thanks alot everyone!

Scott, I certainly am lucky to have Lorraine to help out!!

Blue Eyes and Boozeman-pics are soon to come! I spent forever resizing them last night and then my computer started acting up. It would log onto any site except RS, figures!! They will be posted tonight!

Thanks Cassette- I always like to add a little suspense, LOL!

Lorraine - Yes, she was very helpful wasn't she, lol. I was surprised he was brave enough to modify the canopy too, but he did get the great idea from you!! And the way the lights hang in the canopy, perfect!! I was hoping not to need any more water, but I was worried once you said that you would have more salt on hand, that we would run out, and we did!!

I have not bought the refractometer yet. I'm not sure whether I need to order online or not. I have looked locally and cannot seem to find one. We tested th pH last night, I thought it said 8.2 and he thought it said 8.0, so we decided it's 8.1. A TON better than before. I can't believe it got so low!! The tank was almost 100% cl;ear last night, still a little foggy, hoping it will be all cleared up tonight. I am planning on going out to get some 1 gal jugs to mix up the 2- part solution this evening, or maybe tomorrow because I will be at the store anyways. Thanks again for all of your help!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Awesome Chronicle here! Now I REALLY must get started on My 90g tank.

any chance Lorraine is up for a ROAD trip to NC? :)

Can't wait to watch the tank progress (whispers slowwwllly).

Allen :)

rebekwl

Pictures as promised!!

Attachments

• RS 7-30-07 017.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 017.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 249
  • RS 7-30-07 018.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 018.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 250
  • RS 7-30-07 019.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 019.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 242
  • RS 7-30-07 027.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 027.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 246
  • RS 7-30-07 028.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 028.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 246

rebekwl

And more...

Attachments

• RS 7-30-07 030.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 030.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 242
  • RS 7-30-07 040.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 040.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 241
  • RS 7-30-07 031.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 031.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 239
  • RS 7-30-07 045.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 045.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 237
  • RS 7-30-07 048.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 048.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 235

rebekwl

And more!! I can't get a good pic of the Flower Pot coral because it's too far from the glass. It is doing MUCH better than it ever did in my other tank.

I just brought the mushrooms home from Larraine's a little bit ago, they're not TOO happy yet, but I'm sure they will be tomorrow.

Attachments

• RS 7-30-07 055.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 055.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 235
  • RS 7-30-07 061.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 061.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 238
  • RS 7-30-07 063.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 063.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 237
  • RS 7-30-07 065.JPG
    RS 7-30-07 065.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 233

Cassette87

Looks like it's off to a wonderful start! enjoyed the pictures! I can't wait to see this thing grow, it will turn into one awesome reef :D

bluespotjawfish

Lookin good Rebekah! Can't wait for the aquascaping! The mushrooms look like the will do just fine. Do they look any better today?

:wave:

rebekwl

They do look better today. One of my power heads sunction cups came off so it is pointing down and directly at my Kenya tree which IS NOT happy right now. It made a sand dune too and my plate coral is on a slant, grrr. I have to go in there and even all the sand back out now. I have to get in there and scape tonight anyways. I can't put it off anymore, it's driving me nutty.

I posted this in the hitchhiker ID section, but am hoping to get an answer asap so I'll post it here too. Hubby surprised me with some mushrooms this evening and there are some weird squiggly looking things on one of them. I'm scared to put it in the tank so I logged on to ask about it. Any clue what it is anyone??

bluespotjawfish

Did you see what the WMAS meeting tomorrow is about? I'll go with you if you want to go...

Thursday, August 2nd 2007 at 7:00 PM
Jon Finch / Shane Heil
Water Chemistry & Testing

Join us for an in depth discussion about the "hows" and "whys" of testing your aquarium water. Don't let the topic fool you, this meeting promises to be loads of fun! Following the test demonstrations, kits will be available to test your own water samples.

rebekwl

Did you see what the WMAS meeting tomorrow is about? I'll go with you if you want to go...

Hahaha, certainly looks like something I need!! I'll talk to my hubby about it. I'm sure he wants me to sit still and hang out with him for a night, so I may not be able to. I'll let you know though!!