• No. I do not think it is appropriate~

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Admins too !
050.gif

Shamus

I've only entered one...and seeing the pics of many members of this site (not just moderators or admins) know I have to get up to snuff on pics. I love seeing all the cool pics - the more the merrier...more pics to enjoy! I say let them in!

livebait

I really don't see why they couldn't to begin with considering the photo's are voted on by RS members and not 'judged' by a few. That is a silly rule. IMHO the real change to this contest should be the fact that there's only one general entry mode/category/pool, whatever the word I'm looking for is. Meaning why should I take the time to upload a photo from my el cheapo point and shoot, compete against ppl with obvious skills and high dollar equipment knowing I don't stand a snowballs chance in *explative* of winning. I'd like to see a point and shoot/cameraphone entry level or at the very least allow uploads from sites such as photobucket. This hobby is expensive enough and even if I could I wouldn't drop a bunch of paper on cameras and equipment.

chipmunkofdoom2

I don't think it's an ethical issue... from hanging around on RS for a while, I know for a FACT that none of the mods here would manipulate the contest results for their gain. I can't seen any of them doing it. We have very upstanding staff here.

Now strategically, since I know most, if not all, of the mods have killer reefs... I think it might be in our best interest if they remain prohibited :contract:

Just kidding :D I voted yay!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I really don't see why they couldn't to begin with considering the photo's are voted on by RS members and not 'judged' by a few. That is a silly rule. IMHO the real change to this contest should be the fact that there's only one general entry mode/category/pool, whatever the word I'm looking for is. Meaning why should I take the time to upload a photo from my el cheapo point and shoot, compete against ppl with obvious skills and high dollar equipment knowing I don't stand a snowballs chance in *explative* of winning. I'd like to see a point and shoot/cameraphone entry level or at the very least allow uploads from sites such as photobucket. This hobby is expensive enough and even if I could I wouldn't drop a bunch of paper on cameras and equipment.

This is the point of it being a contest. seeing if your skills not only in reefing but photography are worthy of winning. I tried for years here before I won one before being a mod.
Woodstock also was just learning photography back then and look at how many rewards she has won in her learning over the years. It took hard work. I believe we were both using el cheapo point and shoots back then. I still use one sometimes. ;)
What I am trying to say is you should try and enter if you have a desire to. Not everyone does though. Like BigAl. He rather do other things.

livebait

This is the point of it being a contest. seeing if your skills not only in reefing but photography are worthy of winning. I tried for years here before I won one before being a mod.
Woodstock also was just learning photography back then and look at how many rewards she has won in her learning over the years. It took hard work. I believe we were both using el cheapo point and shoots back then. I still use one sometimes. ;)
What I am trying to say is you should try and enter if you have a desire to. Not everyone does though. Like BigAl. He rather do other things.

I did. Had to show my #1 favorite. But even if I had mad skills the quality from a Kodak digital would not (imo) ever be that of a high quality camera with a macro lens. My Aqua-vu takes better stills than my Kodak. If it wasn't cased in lead I'd get some real underwater close ups lol. Winning's not my issue, if it were I'd have my brother-in-law over and take pics for me. That's his thing and makes his living doing it. I was just (whining) suggesting leveling out the field a little.

DaveK

This post raises some good points.

As for the RS membership voting of photos, this is ok at times, but at other times you want a qualified, small committee judging photos. Art of any form is very subjective, and what one person likes, someone else might not. Also, a good judge can separate the factors that went into a good picture, For example, was the picture just another photo, or was the photographer really trying to say something? Also, was the picture artistically done?

I also agree about the camera and equipment aspects. My own camera is modest, and my skills worse. My skills I can work on, but like many others, I just can't afford to be involved with a really first rate camera and additional products needed.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
.......Maybe I'm wrong but I was thinking that there was a "winner" clause somewhere in that you can't win again for X number of months or something after a win. Did I dream that up (it's not the first time if I did).

:)

I see no problem with the moderators or even the admins being allowed to enter. But, I think BigAl made a good point - I think it should be limited as to how often a person can enter and win - maybe once a year.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can actually take good pictures with a point and shoot, if you play around and to get the best angle and lighting.

A lot of a contest can be bases on the subject as well like the pose, surroundings, sometimes a good photo is just paying attention to detail.

Kodac Easy Share Pics
picture165.jpg

picture182.jpg

picture184.jpg

picture152.jpg

picture788.jpg

Not great but not terrible either.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can actually take good pictures with a point and shoot, if you play around and to get the best angle and lighting.

A lot of a contest can be bases on the subject as well like the pose, surroundings, sometimes a good photo is just paying attention to detail.

Kodac Easy Share Pics
picture165.jpg

picture182.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's funny yall are talking about cameras. I've got a fairly decent DSLR camera but rarely even take it out of the cabinet. I take 99.1% of my pics with a point-n-shoot. I just take a LOTS of pics every time and hope for one that's not a total embarrassment to me and my tank :)

Cavinca

No problems from me. I'm not big on using a judging committee though. I like the "close to community" feeling the Reef Sanctuary site portrays.

If their was anything that could change about the contest, I think it would be the following...

1. Making ALL entries anonymous.
2. Moderators allowed to compete.
3. Adding a Summarized "Bio" of the Winner's Tank featuring whatever they'd like. More pics, list of inhabitants, Age of the Tank, etc. A link to the winner’s page could be paraded under the Photo of the Month.
4. If its not there: A “Winners cant compete for X amount of time unless otherwise noted” clause

tektite

On one hand, yes, everyone should be able to participate.

On the other hand, many of the moderators are not only expert reef keepers, they are also expert photographers. The end result would be that we would end up with them winning most of the photo contests. This would make it look like they were "fixing the race", and I believe that this should be avoided.

I don't think people should be excluded because they can take good pics/have a good tank. That's kinda the whole idea of the contest.

After winning though it is a good idea to be excluded from winning for x amount of months.

It would be really cool to see more pics and hear more about the winning tank, great idea.

Comboverguy

I think that for all of the helpful advice the moderators freely give us, they should definitely be able to enter the competition. People who give of their time and knowledge to help further our education at least deserve our assumption that they are good, fair people. Thanks mods.

zigginit

i think it would best to do blind votes, i mean the pics have no name attached to them, i know it would change the way the contest is done but thats kinda what this whole discussion is about anyways. some people here have very good reputations and i think thats great but it could swing votes and not only be about the pics.