DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Took a "sofa end" picture of my tank to show the UGLY green BRYOPSIS & GHA on the sand bed and behind my rockscape. Hopes are to UPdate with a better picture with less algae growth when Tux & his soon to be buddy (YES, I am planning to add another tuxedo urchin this week :cool:) have time to make rounds to help get this under control.
image.jpg
The green in the front far corner is not Algae...it's my GSP. :D
Thankfully all the GHA on my sandbed is behind my rockscape.

Thanks for reading my thread UPdates Y'all!! :cruiser:

Oxylebius

Di, I wouldn't recommend two urchins in a 66g tank, the tank is too small. Yes, they will make faster progress on the algae, but once the algae is gone they will slowly starve to death. It can take over 6 months or more of them starving before they die and they won't show any signs that they are suffering until one day they loose a few spines, and then a few days later they loose all their spins and die.

I've worked with urchins for too long to recommend a second in your tank.

Unless you supplement their diet with algae. Some of these urchins are particular on what algae they eat. So, you may be buying all kinds of different types of algae before you find one they like. I hope that they like what you are growing in your sump, b/c that would make it a lot easier for you to feed them.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Di, I wouldn't recommend two urchins in a 66g tank, the tank is too small. Yes, they will make faster progress on the algae, but once the algae is gone they will slowly starve to death. It can take over 6 months or more of them starving before they die and they won't show any signs that they are suffering until one day they loose a few spines, and then a few days later they loose all their spins and die.

I've worked with urchins for too long to recommend a second in your tank.

Unless you supplement their diet with algae. Some of these urchins are particular on what algae they eat. So, you may be buying all kinds of different types of algae before you find one they like. I hope that they like what you are growing in your sump, b/c that would make it a lot easier for you to feed them.
I grow great amounts of Chaetomorpha in the refugium....do you think they will eat that @Oxylebius Sue? I would be willing to supplement them with Algae sheets & could house one or both in the refugium if needed.
I just want the Bryopsis under control on a continuos basis without having to dose Kent Tech-M to keep my magnesium levels high. I hate testing MG.

Oxylebius

Stick with one urchin for a good two months first. See how it does on the bryopsis and GHA. In that time also test out if it eats your Chaetomorpha. After two months re-assess how well the urchin did cleanin up the algae. You may find that you don't actually need a second urchin. You may find that the one urchin can keep the algae in check.

Joeys Tank

Great advice from Oxy. While it will make a great clean up on the algae by having two, I would be ready to move one back to the LFS once it starts to clear up. Ideally, one will make a great dent in it given time (you are already seeing progress in a few days) as well as find a nice balance with the tank. Finding a balance with two, and then reestablishing a new balance when pulling one out may be an interesting swing in the tank.

Go with one for a while. You can always add a second later if the first just isn't making enough progress. Also, any loose frags will be picked up and transported :)

Oxylebius

I grow great amounts of Chaetomorpha in the refugium....do you think they will eat that @Oxylebius Sue? I would be willing to supplement them with Algae sheets & could house one or both in the refugium if needed.
I just want the Bryopsis under control on a continuos basis without having to dose Kent Tech-M to keep my magnesium levels high. I hate testing MG.

Let the urchin clean up what you have growing in the DT first. After all that algae is cleaned up, then you can supplement the urchins diet with the Chaetomorpha. Not before. You want that urchin to target the algae in the tank, so no need to feed it while there is still algae in the tank.

Watch to see what algae it targets first. You may find that these urchins do have preferences of what kinds of algae they like to eat. If it is consuming one type of algae but passing up other types, make a note of that. If/when it comes time to buy another urchin, you may want to go with a different species that will eat the algae that your tuxedo passed up. So, buying another of the same type of urchin (another tuxedo) may not help here. You'd want to select a different species.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Let the urchin clean up what you have growing in the DT first. After all that algae is cleaned up, then you can supplement the urchins diet with the Chaetomorpha. Not before. You want that urchin to target the algae in the tank, so no need to feed it while there is still algae in the tank.

Watch to see what algae it targets first. You may find that these urchins do have preferences of what kinds of algae they like to eat. If it is consuming one type of algae but passing up other types, make a note of that. If/when it comes time to buy another urchin, you may want to go with a different species that will eat the algae that your tuxedo passed up. So, buying another of the same type of urchin (another tuxedo) may not help here. You'd want to select a different species.
I am glad you posted this Sue! I just posted a request of info on the subject of my Bryopsis to inquire from @Paul B in one of his threads.
I have noticed that my little Tuxedo Urchin is cleaning off a very small area of the LR but he seems to be only wanting the purple coralline algae. Which is OK with me, I love watching him!! He is a cool little guy but I realize that I do not need two of them. Thank you SO MUCH for helping me, I appreciate all the help I get!!

Oxylebius

Maybe it is time for a Foxface? The world’s heavyweight champion of algae eaters, the Foxface (Lo vulpinis). Seriously, they will eat virtually any algae.
:grrr:

Like with many cuc they will start off eating what they like first.:yummy: When that is gone, they move to other algae species. Then it’s the hair algae, which they will cropped short enough for snails and hermits :hermit: to finish. This fish will not likely get to the root system of gha, but the cuc will be happy. If all other forms of algae are gone, then they will eat bryopsis and bubble algae. Yes, even bubble algae! I've read cases of this. My foxface goes for all algae in the tank, but not cyano. They will not eat slime (cyano) or dinoflagellates. They will try to eat diatoms, but the foxface does’t have the correct mouth structure to be effective. Oddly, some aquarists have reported that the Foxface didn’t do their jobs. It is possible that these aquarists fed too much, didn’t have enough patience, or had a hopeless problem. :( You're problem isn't hopeless b/c it isn't out of control.

I know what you are going to say next, you don't have any more room for a :fishy:. Right?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yep, no room for anymore fish....but I am going to try Elysia Crispata Sea Slugs.
I need to take care of having enough room for the fish I already have.
IF it would be an easy thing to do, I could remove my 3 Blue-green Chromis to add a Foxface. But I have raised the 3 of them from tiny babies & I kinda love them for that reason. They are getting so much bigger...They are the fish that really made me realize why tanks need fish limits.
We will see what happens with the Elysia Crispata addition. Getting my MP10 covers out of storage. :winky:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:woohoo:Order is placed.....
My
Elysia Crispata Sea Slugs should arrive on

WEDNESDAY 07-22-2015 :D
Healthy crop of BRYOPSIS awaits them :cool:

I sure hope to defy the odds of them surviving in my tank. At a cost of nearly $22. each, I hope they pack them securely with maybe some algae in the bags. Not that I want more Bryopsis in my tank :stars:...or do I :lol: :confused: ....they have to have it to survive right :confuseded:. My thought of Bryopsis being good :hammerhead:

I plan to try to keep them alive in my refugium where they can eat (suck the juices from) Chaetomorpha that grows fast in there.
:ponder2:

It will at least be an experiment :fishy: :rolleyes: Waiting for Wednesday :smile:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Just three more hours & my little lettuce sea slugs should be delivered. Excited but I already know there's a great chance that there won't be a very lasting existence for them due to their somewhat stupidity :D and the flow rate of my tank.
I do plan to use the safty covers on my MP10s & turn them down for a few days. Pictures may follow later today :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Slow drip acclimation has started....
image.jpg
Added some chaeto to help them feel more at home.
They sure don't look very
GREEN at this point.
image.jpg
I assume they are very stressed...jet lag :concern:
I got 5 and only one was upside down & looked a bit lifeless.

I think they are pretty little creatures. May get better pictures in a few days.
Back to ready-ing the tank....:cruiser:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yeehoo: All 5 are ALIVE & just now put into my DT. :yeehoo:
Not real sure how long I want to leave my MP10s off....my corals look a little weepy without the strong circulation.
These Elysia Crispata Sea Slugs are very elegant looking ruffled up creatures. Very interesting!
Hope they color up more & help with this TOTALLY AWFUL OUT OF CONTROL BRYOPSIS!!!
image.jpg