DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
image.jpg Ordered and arrived FASTER than PRIORITY MAIL & shipping was FREE....I'm SUPER EXCITED! :woohoo:
(My cat is excited too...We may figure out how curiosity can get the cat in BIG TROUBLE! :)
5E41DF8B-8A2C-441F-AB24-E986F330F87A-8634-00000DE2D71758B1.jpg

Now to get set up....with lots of patience & help from YOU ALL, thanks in advance. It's been 18 years since I had a reef tank...going to need advice!

Acanman

My RMS250 Arrived TODAY!

If i had to do over again i would have researched the reefscape and spent as long as it was need to take with glue,epoxy,screws to make some awesome formations.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Everyone! Getting excited to see what my tank looks like tomorrow. I went to the LFS today & found out how easy it is to spend $374.12 and NO FISH or Corals brought home, YIKES!! Bought my salt, 2 (20lb ea) bags of Figi Pink live sand, 17 pounds of live rock, 10 pounds of not-live rock & liq.green food that has to be refrigerated for live rock nutrition. My CAT is already WAY MORE EXCITED than Me. He got really close to taking a swim, LOL! Just wanted to UPDATE & share a photo of the awful white sand storm. Everything seems to be going good. I only had ONE EXTRA PART that I don't have an idea where to put. The DVD did NOT WORK that cam with my RSM250 :(
E94FD039-01F1-4B0D-8263-D10796A228EE-10746-00000FDC8D62F91B.jpg

7F6CBDEE-FEC2-4245-9AB1-F28AD8203943-10746-00000FDC97B5D8A3.jpg

This is going to be SO MUCH FUN! :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
LOL! Glenn, exactly right! How'd you know? Water is clearing up & I need to go back to the LFS or get on-line & order all the stuff that I thought might have come with my RSM but didn't. Like, test a test kit! LOL!
So where does this piece go? Is it important? Thanks for your help, afraid I'm going to rely on it for a good long while. :)
B93DD709-110C-4973-8363-65D1601AB0D0-10869-00000FEB95B56413.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thank You BOTH!! I will get that put in shortly. :)
Some more ???'s
What test kit do you recommend?
Back 15+ years ago, we stuck thermometer strips to the outside of the tank. Is that what is used now? I need one.
ATO's ....this sounds like a great thing to have. Opinions with RSM 250? Do you use one? Pros, cons?
I'm slowly realizing I need lots MORE STUFF....all before I can even put a fish or Coral in. I'm all about ordering & taking my time cause the tank has to cycle anyway.
I did dream last night that I woke up & had a 4-stripe, a 3-stripe & a domino damsel swimming in my tank from out of the live rock. That was CRAZY, LOL! Was wondering how I was going to get them out of there & BACK TO THE FISH STORE! :)

Only test kit brand I've used is Salifert. Regardless of brand here is a list of must have test kits.
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Phosphates
PH
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magneseum

I'm assuming you already have something to test salinity, if not get yourself a refractometer. For temperature you can get aquarium thermometers, not strips and put them ib your display or hide it somewhere in the filter area.

Great start and keep the updates coming.

The API kit is good starter kit. I would still highly recommend at least a phosphate kit. If you have some extra coin laying around an alkalinity kit is a good investment too.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
UUGHH, I sure am thinking that the live sand I bought is absolutely TOO FINE. I hope I'm wrong to think it but I would have thought my water would have settled it & cleared up more by now. That stuff sure looked more course in the bag at the store but it's extra fine & blows around. Should I give it time or take it out & find some course sand? Also, I think my bags of charcoal are blocking the flow from being floated up to the top. I don't want to even try to move my live rock into a reef scape cause I'm not wanting my tank to look like I poured a gallon of milk in it, more than it already does :(
Things will get better & clear up, RIGHT?

modulok

It will clear up. But as far as it blowing around you'll have to use rocks and try to minimize the sand movement. You can also add Loc Line and spread the flow around more so its not so strong in one spot.