DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana,
First off great looking tank. I read that you are running Steve's LEDs with the C250. How exactly did you end up hooking that all up? I ask because I'm looking into getting the kit but I'm going to be running with an Apex controller and wanted to make sure I get everything that I need. Another thing is what did you end up doing for moonlights? Did you get a moonlight led strip or can you dim and change the coloration of Steve's LEDs to simulate moonlighting?

Cdeeds, my tank is not the C250, it's the older version & my night light is the one that was originally in the hood, it either stays on or comes on when the LEDs fade out in the evening. I didn't add extra night blues.

Diana....last year I had these flat worms in my 14 G tank. What I did was every night, when back home I was scratching them again the tank glass. I did that for probably a couple of months. Also during WC, if I could I was siphoning them. I never had, as you mentioned, a population out of control. One day they were gone. I never saw them back.

I can't remember if they disappeared in correlation with my addition of a 6 lines wrase. But as they came, they just gone.

I added a 6 lines wrase in my 2 tanks because in one, the SPS, I had Montipora eating Nudibranchs.

Nice tank there !!!!! WELL DONE !!!

Daniel
Ps : about the Coral war, there is a moment, in most tanks, that we run out of space. No coral relocation, so, you can let them grow freely and in the touching points, some will have a dead spot, others no. Or you can frag/prune them. You know all this, I just wanted to express a though.
Cheers ! Daniel
Thanks Dan! I think I am going to take that frogspawn out & dip it in coral RX dip or get some Bayer for dipping. Seems that I only see the pumpkin flatworms on it. I think I can control or elimate them doing that as I see them repopulating.

I love the looks of the SixLine Wrasse but I fear them becoming aggressive. A very tempting to want fish tho! How is your SixLine for aggressiveness towards other fish? :fishy:

Diana, I was looking again your pictures on this page and I do not see coraline algae growing in the back wall. Are you removing them ?

I think I will start to remove them in my tank. I like the black background. They have covered in my tank almost all the back.

Daniel

I have removed coralline algae from my back glass a few times, now I try to scrape it off as it starts in small spots. It comes & goes, sometimes it's several WC's before I see any spots of it. I don't maintain a high level of calcium because I'm not into testing & adding. I've not been forced into doing that YET & everything in my tank still looks OK enough for me ;) I feel lucky so far :D

Danreef

So far the 6 lines wrases have been excelent citizens :). I have one in the 14 G and another in the RSM250. They do not bother anyone. Neither are they bothered by other fish.

In the RSM the 6 line was with other 2 wrases. I lost one of the wrases at the very start of the tank. They have been living together for almost a year now. So far so good !!!!!

The 6 lines is very active. Always looking for food within the corals. He eats a lot of the food I provide. But he is always searching very carefully food in the corals. You can see him stopping in front of the corals, he looks them, and then continue. I am not sure if he finds something to eat :) , but at least looks like :)

Daniel

clown lover

It will clear up. But as far as it blowing around you'll have to use rocks and try to minimize the sand movement. You can also add Loc Line and spread the flow around more so its not so strong in one spot.
I found the left #1 pump single nozzle was hard to control so I modded it to 2 adjustable loc line nozzles and it seems to make it easier to control the flow. No more sand blowing around at all.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I found the left #1 pump single nozzle was hard to control so I modded it to 2 adjustable loc line nozzles and it seems to make it easier to control the flow. No more sand blowing around at all.
I have the Spin Stream nozzles on BOTH of my returns. Love the way they keep the water flow circulation spinning. Here's a thread that I reviewed them on if you'd like to see how they work:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/spin-stream-on-rsm-250.86850/
They have worked AMAZINGLY WELL & they do not take away from the good looks of the tank, require no electricity or complicated hook up. I'd vote for them being standard equipment for any reef tank. :)

Oxylebius

Getting back to the flatworm - wrasse discussion. In my experience most wrasses will hunt out and eat flatworms. Not just the 6-line. So, if you have room and are looking for another fish that won't grow more then 3-6 inches you have lots of options in the wrasse-world to choose from.

I unfortunately got your flatworms in my tank when we did a coral swap (my bad for not dipping). But, shortly after that I picked up my leopard wrasse and the flatworms were slowly decimated. Good fish :fishy2:

And I had a 6-line in my 40g for a good 2 yrs or so before it turned into a harass. I also questioned all the bad comments I heard about them, then one day *wham* that wrasse changed and became a serious harasser. It took out all my other fish, including a dwarf lion, royal gramma, and a pair of firefish. I couldn't catch that darn fish to get it out in time to save the other fish. First the fins were picked off then the wrasse wouldn't let the fish out of rock holes. Poor things.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:celebrate:I GOT SOMETHING NEW!! :celebrate:
It has been a long time since I added a new tankmate, so I'm really excited to introduce "Tux" to my tank.
:rbwwelc:ROYAL Tuxedo "Tux"
Here he is in the bag getting temp acclimated:
image.jpg
He is VERY TINY....but the only one they had at the LFS.
I hope he loves his new home, eats lots of GREEN ALGAE & grows bigger.
The bag is deceptive of his actual size.
After acclimation, I sat him next to major patch of Bryopsis (it's back :wah:)
image.jpg
You can tell how his size is compared to the palys below the ledge.
The Midas Blenny & Cherub Angel were very curious about him :eek::rolleyes:
So far Tux has clear a small trail & moved much more than I thought he would being it's bright light time in the tank. I think I'm going to L:heart:VE him!
One more awful Bryopsis photo:

image.jpg
Tux has a BIG JOB to do!! :fingerscrossed: :winky: