Spin-Stream on RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I had someone ask via PM about this so I though I'd share a product review here.
I'm using an Innovative Marine Spin-Stream on my #1 pump return (the one on the sight water level window) of my RSM 250 & I am VERY PLEASED with it. I have an MP10 on the opposite end & both do a good job. To me, it was worth the $30. Was easy to put on & it doesn't disturb the sand bed as much as without it did blowing the water so hard against the front glass.
Here's a link with a video, you might even find it cheaper somewhere else:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovati...ries-Innovative_Marine-0I10200-FIAQAA-vi.html

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
image.jpg Here is a photo taken of it in my tank so you can see the gentle wave it makes as it spins upward. :)
null_zpsd367f869.jpg

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I ordered one, but I am having an issue. I also tried the Koralia version. They both have a flow rating that tops out at 600 gph. I am running the Eheim compact 3000 at 792 gph and it is too much flow. It keeps blowing the device off. It will work if I can figure out a way to keep it from blowing it off.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm still using the stock (the higher flow one of the two original, but I don't really know the flow rate) return pump that came with my RSM 250. The Spin-Stream has been working for over a month without coming off. Spins around great & diverts the water flow nicely. Kinda like an oscillating fan, pretty cool :D

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I ordered one, but I am having an issue. I also tried the Koralia version. They both have a flow rating that tops out at 600 gph. I am running the Eheim compact 3000 at 792 gph and it is too much flow. It keeps blowing the device off. It will work if I can figure out a way to keep it from blowing it off.

The Eheim compact has an adjustment on the side to regulate the flow. Pull the pump out and turn the flow down some and it should work.

The stock left side pump pushes 634 gph so you won't have to turn it down much.

newo11

I have one I bought for an IM pico tank but the clicking drove me crazy. With the increased flow rate on pump one, is it quiet?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have one I bought for an IM pico tank but the clicking drove me crazy. With the increased flow rate on pump one, is it quiet?

Hi Newo :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!
I've never heard the Spin-Stream attachment make any noise at all. It's not powered by anything except the water flow through the return outlet. It's underwater & turns smoothly.
Not sure what would cause a clicking sound :ponder2:
Do you have a RedSea tank?
Would be great to start a tread here & tell us about your tanks & post pictures!! :D

newo11

Hi Newo :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!
I've never heard the Spin-Stream attachment make any noise at all. It's not powered by anything except the water flow through the return outlet. It's underwater & turns smoothly.
Not sure what would cause a clicking sound :ponder2:
Do you have a RedSea tank?
Would be great to start a tread here & tell us about your tanks & post pictures!! :D

Thanks DianaKay. Just started a thread to say hello! Yes just got an RSM250. I had the spin stream in a 4 gallon innovative marine pico where the flow was only 50gph, which is its lowest rating. At that flow rate, the internal gears clicked as they spun. That tank is on our nightstand so I took it off, put it back in the box and forgot to return it. Very excited to see that it may work in the RSM250! (As then I won't feel like I wasted $30). I never tried it in my other tanks as the flow rates were not high enough and I had mp10's in them so it was unnecessary.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I actually replaced the number one return pump with the Eheim for two reasons. Eheims normally run cooler and I wanted more flow. I will take a picture tomorrow. I actually made a mod on the way to attach the Spin-Stream and it has stayed attached for over 24 hours now. I took some 3/4 inch tubing (maybe an inch) and then slipped some smaller tubing and forced it inside of that. The mount for the Spin-Stream fit snugly inside the smaller tubing. I slide the larger side of that tube over the outside of the return. Problem solved and it is still at maximum flow.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I actually replaced the number one return pump with the Eheim for two reasons. Eheims normally run cooler and I wanted more flow. I will take a picture tomorrow. I actually made a mod on the way to attach the Spin-Stream and it has stayed attached for over 24 hours now. I took some 3/4 inch tubing (maybe an inch) and then slipped some smaller tubing and forced it inside of that. The mount for the Spin-Stream fit snugly inside the smaller tubing. I slide the larger side of that tube over the outside of the return. Problem solved and it is still at maximum flow.

That's AWESOME Debbie...I knew you'd make it work cause YOU ARE GOOD with stuff like that! :D
Hope it makes your fish & corals happy, that's the main thing ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I ordered my 2nd Spin Stream, so I'm using them on both of my RSM 250 return flow spouts now.
Still haven't had any problems with either one & I very seldom clean them :yup:
Thought I :bump: share this thread again for new members who might want to consider adding diversified flow to your tank :D Watch the video above if you're interested.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I had to move mine to the side where the smaller pump should be. It was moving too much sand on the other side, also I didn't like the way my mod looked and when I tried to shorten the tubing, the spin-stream didn't want to stay in. When I moved it to the smaller size was able to use a piece of black tubing to hold the spin-stream. It looks much better. I removed a snail from inside the spin stream today.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I upgraded the larger return pump to an Eheim Compact 3000 pump and have it turned up all the way. The Spin Stream would not stay attached. I opted to use it on the right side pump, which is also an Eheim Compact 3000 but it is attached to the chiller. By the time that it pushes the water down through the chiller and back up, the flow is not as strong as the flow on the left pump. To use the Spin Stream on the right side, I had to use a large piece of black tubing and slide it over the return. The back side of the Spin Stream fits perfectly into that tubing and works great.

dsprouse

What great timing; I was just looking at my stock nozzles thinking "I wish it didn't hit the front glass so bad and disrupt the sand." Are you happy with both on there or have you noticed much difference?