DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
How's it going today?
Five of them? Whoa!
What'cha gonna do w/'em after they wipe out all your algae :ponder2:
Got a plan to give at least 4 away and keep one?

I have a refugium full of Chaetomorpha that I can re-locate them to.
I have read but don't know for certain that they will also suck the juices from the Chaeto. That's short term plan. I do need to figure out a plan for them.
I hope to go home from work today & find them enjoying a large Bryopsis meal.
:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Oxylebius

They can make progress really fast, that is why I'm asking what your next plan is. :dance: They make fast progress on your Chaetomorpha as well, then what? :dunno:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If they clear out Bryopsis really FAST...they should be worth mega-bucks!! :D But, So far, they don't seem to be very hungry....I can't tell they have put a dent in any of it yet :rolleyes:
I really would love to keep one or two of them, if they like chaeto.
I know there's a good chance that the Bryopsis will Re-grow & I might need them repeatedly.
There is semi-local group of SW addicts on FB....I will be listing them there for anyone who needs help with Bryopsis...IF they prove to be good at eating it all gone. :yummy: :fingerscrossed:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They are very pretty.
Glad that they are working out for you!
Thanks Sue! I think they kinda have ADD :lol: :D
Either their attention span is lacking or they just feel the need to walk off some calories between meals. :tumbleweed:
I think I'm going to turn the MP10s back on tomorrow, I hate not running them.
I'll try lowest speed to see if they can take a little more water flow.
Also debating putting one of them into my refugium, just wish I knew for sure that they could live on Chaeto. I really would like to keep a couple of them long term.
I'm thinking that since I have NOT read any success stories about keeping them that it might not be possible :dunno:

Oxylebius

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a new home for them, in the sump or otherwise. Keep them in your tank. Be patient. Give them a couple weeks to settle in. In that time they will get hungry and eat the algae. And they have a short live span. Like many slugs and nudis, they live about a year. And these aren't babies, so they will likely live less then a year in your tank. Pull them out if dead. And with this many, be prepared to see lots of eggs laid by them.

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Maybe it is time for a Foxface? The world’s heavyweight champion of algae eaters, the Foxface (Lo vulpinis). Seriously, they will eat virtually any algae.

@Oxylebius Is a One Spot Foxface a good algae muncher ? I'm interested in the One Spot because of their smaller adult size. I'm thinking that a Foxface Lo, or Magnificent Foxface might grow a bit too large for my 120Gal (4 foot long) environment.

Sorry about the slight hijack, @DianaKay

Thanks !
---Frank

Oxylebius

I've only had one-spots, not the larger foxfaces. The one-spot does eat a variety of algae, but with any critter (fish, snail, nudi, slugs, crab, etc.) they will all have preferences on what they like to eat. So, there is never any guarantee that they will eat the algae you want eradicated. But, the one-spot, like the larger foxfaces, is an herbivore, so you have a good bet it will help you with your algae issue. One suggestion, limit the food you give it so that it will be forced to eat algae. Monitor how skinny it gets, how much algae it is eating, and if it isn't getting enough food from the algae, then make sure you feed it. Don't let it starve, but encourage it to eat the algae in the tank by not feeding it too much.

:threadjack: - Admiring Di's lovely new addition - the crispatas....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
No worries about hi-jacking here :winky:
I'm interested to learn what I can wherever I read it :)

This hobby is a guessing game that is more successful when we share & compare what we know from experience. The mention of the Foxface kinda makes me wish that I had room for one....probably won't eat Bryopsis tho.
No bigger tank in my future, hard to take care of the one I have :D

Oxylebius

I've read on a number of sites that Rabbitfish are one of the few species that will eat problematic Bryopsis algae. But, always do research on which species of rabbitfish, the Foxface Lo is one that isn't as selective as other rabbitfish, but it also gets really big (125g+ tanks) and won't work in smaller tanks. But, the one spot foxface is better suited for mid-range tanks (70g+), but is a little more selective (but will eat more algae then other herbivores). Most other rabbitfish grow really large and need 180g+ tanks, so even though they are great algae eaters, only those w/big tanks should have them. Which doesn't help us with 66g RSM250s.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They really are. Wish the slugs in my back garden looked like that.
That would be RELLY COOL NickF!! Then I'd be spending more time in the back garden too :winky:

Day FOUR with my 5 Elysia Crispatas.....They are wondering around "Look'n for food in all the wrong places!" (set that to a music tune, LOL!)
I guess they have the urge to explore....more time needed.
I have turned both MP10s back on at a low setting & they are not blowing all over the tank. I figure if the can suction onto glass & slime their way to the top water level, they can survive a gradual increase of waterflow.
It is hard to resist doing some manual Bryopsis removal with my WC today....but I don't need to be throwing out their food, right :confuseded:

They don't Smile for pictures but if you look close, you can see this one's lips:
image.jpg