DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Small UPDATE:
Got the LifeReef unpacked and somewhat put together. It came A LOT LESS put together than I thought it would. NOT being a DIY person it kinda got me worried:bounceboxthat I couldn't put it together. But...
I'm getting it figured out :yehoo:
:fingerx:Hope the pumps & the fuge light arrive by Friday so I can complete the install this weekend :fingerx:
null_zps8a07028f.jpg
[/IMG]

Sweet setup! This may sound kinda dumb but, What was your main reason for adding this? Doesn't the RSM already contain the needed supplies and what not?

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sweet setup! This may sound kinda dumb but, What was your main reason for adding this? Doesn't the RSM already contain the needed supplies and what not?

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs

I guess I had LOTS of main reasons :yup:
About 20 gal. more water volume (without needing more room space)
A refugium to grow Macro Algae (reduce phosphate) & pods (live food)....also have a "time out" room for aggressive fish if needed.
A HIGHER END SKIMMER....and overall easier tank maintenance.
I'm EXCITED & hope it's as good as I think it's going to be.
Going to be adding a Mandarin soon & that's my DREAM FISH :geekin:

Another UPDATE: My Grindal WORM CULTURE arrived today :D They sure are tiny, going to test feed my fish this evening. It's going to be a TRICK or TREAT night for my fish :bugout::fishy::yummy:
:crowd:HAPPY HALLOWEEN RS FRIENDS!! :bluemad:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I was getting a lot of debris/detritus build up under those filter pads/sponge in the sump area. Once I removed them the flow kept that area clean. I can't wait to see yours set up and working.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I actually agree with you. I understand the concept of a sump, but my whole reason for buying this tank was that it is an all in one. I have no issues with the stock skimmer. I modded the thumb screw a little for easier adjustment and it skims up a storm.

Does this unit, have a hang on back overflow for the sump?

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs

Tokalosh

I actually agree with you. I understand the concept of a sump, but my whole reason for buying this tank was that it is an all in one. I have no issues with the stock skimmer. I modded the thumb screw a little for easier adjustment and it skims up a storm.

Does this unit, have a hang on back overflow for the sump?

I agree, I to looked at getting the lifereef sump and the only two things that put me off were:

1) The price, not cheap and way to expensive to ship to the UK. For this price it would be cheaper to upgrade to the 400.
2) I could not bare to compromise the integrity of the cabinet the tank is on. Especially after what I have been through.

Diana I do hope that you are going to seal the inside of the cabinet with some sort of waterproofing.
The last thing you need is condensation to swell the wood.

Tok

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I agree, I to looked at getting the lifereef sump and the only two things that put me off were:

1) The price, not cheap and way to expensive to ship to the UK. For this price it would be cheaper to upgrade to the 400.
2) I could not bare to compromise the integrity of the cabinet the tank is on. Especially after what I have been through.

Diana I do hope that you are going to seal the inside of the cabinet with some sort of waterproofing.
The last thing you need is condensation to swell the wood.

Tok

I'm going to pay close attention to any condensation inside the cabinet. I was afraid to use strong fumes with my tank running that close. If I see there's a problem, I think installing a fan in the cabinet will work.
I'm scare to even use spray paint on the holes, I wanted to but the fumes might be too much?

My reasons for buying the RSM 250 was the SIZE....it was perfect size for where I wanted to put it. Any I love the clean look w/covered top. Any larger of a tank, I would have had to re-model my living room. (tear out a built in bookcase or either a built in gun cabinet)... And with a CAT like Charlie Bear, having no tank lid would have already been a disaster. He can open cabinet doors too....hope he doesn't find the refugium interesting :fingerx:

There is a pre-filter that hangs on the back...it's supposed to be one of the best available. :fingerx:

I'm ready to get this thing RUNNING :D
It's all put together, I just need a day off from work so I can be there to make sure no problems arise when I get it on-line. I'm so ready, I actually do feel like I've had my life on hold since I ordered this LifeReef in June.
I'll add pictures as soon as the DSB settles. :D

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
The hang on pre-filter would also concern me. Everyone that I know that runs a sump warns about the potential problems with HOB overflow, increasing the change of flooding.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The hang on pre-filter would also concern me. Everyone that I know that runs a sump warns about the potential problems with HOB overflow, increasing the change of flooding.

The chances of having a flood with this prefilter in the RSM 250 is extremely low if not zero. Most overflow disasters are from a tank inhabitant, ie snail, clogging it. In the RSM the likelihood of having a snail even get in to the back compartment to then move to the overflow are slim to none. I've never had a snail back get back there. As far as the sump overflowing, if you don't have it overfilled, when you lose power, your sump will be able to take in the extra water until the siphon breaks. The sump is marked with water levels so you won't over fill the sump. It's a very good and well made system.

I've never had any condensation in my cabinet, either. Mine's been running for over 2 years this month.

I'm sure Diana will love this set up. I enjoy watching my refugium as much as my display.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I might be wrong but I the flooding issue has more to do with how the siphon break works in a HOB overflow.

As for as snails, if you have ordered clean up crew from someplace like ReefCleaners and purchased their pre-arranged clean up crews, you will dwarf Ceriths. I did not realize they were so small until I ordered from them. I have removed then from the back and enclosed my ATO sensor in a filter bag because I removed them from the back. The dwarf Ceriths are small enough to slip between the grates on the surface skimmer gate. I have also removed Nerites from the back.

The chances of having a flood with this prefilter in the RSM 250 is extremely low if not zero. Most overflow disasters are from a tank inhabitant, ie snail, clogging it. In the RSM the likelihood of having a snail even get in to the back compartment to then move to the overflow are slim to none. I've never had a snail back get back there. As far as the sump overflowing, if you don't have it overfilled, when you lose power, your sump will be able to take in the extra water until the siphon breaks. The sump is marked with water levels so you won't over fill the sump. It's a very good and well made system.

I've never had any condensation in my cabinet, either. Mine's been running for over 2 years this month.

I'm sure Diana will love this set up. I enjoy watching my refugium as much as my display.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a good read... http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

Why risk thousands of dollars of fish, corals, livestock, flood damage and cleanup on a $69.00 prefilter box or any other prefilter box of questionable reliability, and there are many.

Not a single failure since this prefilter went on the market over two decades ago! If it were not for the cheap copies of Lifereef prefilter boxes (though not copied exact otherwise they'd be reliable) and the ones that are called "tubeless" the Lifereef prefilter box would not have to be defended every time one was sold.

Absolutely the finest and most reliable prefilter box in use today! Why not be 100 percent sure of a no-failure than go with any other with a guaranteed failure or poor performance.

Will not lose water from siphon tube when power goes out!

Will automatically START FLOWING WATER when power comes back on!!!

Any prefilter that uses an Aqua Lifter pump or similar, WILL FAIL!

It is the cheap copies and "tubeless" designs that have given all prefilter boxes a bad reputation.

Prefilters for standard aquariums, EuroBrace rims, Red Sea Max, and BioCube, and custom too!

Not a single failure since the Lifereef Prefilter Box came on the market over 25 years ago!

Thousands sold, not one flood or failure! No cheap "suck-pump" required! Nothing to break down or wear out! No fittings to leak causing loss of siphon and flooding! Your main system pump is all that is needed, and all sump setups have a return pump. NO SECONDARY CHEAP PUMP THAT WILL FAIL IS NEEDED!

Since 1988 this prefilter has allowed the hobbyist to safely deliver water from the aquarium to the sump without fear of failure and readily resumes safe operation after a power outage, GUARANTEED!

In the 24 years that the Lifereef Prefilter Box has been sold not one has failed to re-start when the power comes back on or has failed while in operation! This is not the case with others using built-in siphon walls ("tubeless designs") which are prone to failure while in operation and prone to failure upon power coming back on. The majority of prefilter boxes I sell are to those with the tubeless design, and usually after a FLOOD! Why even risk it? The others don't want to risk it and replace their tubeless design with a Lifereef.

Tubeless designs (built-in siphon wall) are of the poorest design and their use comes with considerable risk of FLOOD! If you use one of these you are guaranteed to have a FLOOD, no matter how careful you are! These prefilters rely on a cheap $15.00 "suck-pump" to keep them working, and this pump will fail, then the prefilter will FLOOD your aquarium or your sump! This "suck-pump" can fail even while your main pump is working and cause major aquarium flooding or even fail to come on when power resumes. These prefilters are DISASTERS waiting to happen!

IF YOU GET A TUBELESS DESIGN YOU MIGHT ALSO PURCHASE A WET-VAC, IT WILL BE NEEDED.

Don't risk it! They are also impossible to clean the siphon wall and if the siphon wall is black algae will still grow as will tubeworms and other calcium building animals and you cannot clean this area. Micro-bubble are always a problem too due to the "suck pump" pumping them into your aquarium.

Another competing prefilter box which is almost an identical COPY of the Lifereef has two flaws that need to be addressed: 1. The inner box can be knocked out of alignment allowing three to four inches of your aquarium water to suddenly rush into your sump and OVERFLOW your sump. 2. Their inner box has less slots for the water to flow through which means you need an extra large sump to hold the extra water that will drain when power goes out. Less slots means your aquarium will rise higher on the slots at a given flow rate. With their prefilter you will not be able to move as many gph without raising your aquarium water much higher, and thus more water will drain back into your sump. You will be able to use LESS water out of your sump being pumped back into the aquarium for the same flow rate using a Lifereef Prefilter. Cheap may get you a similar product but it does not have the same proven characteristics and qualities as a Lifereef Prefilter. And why risk your costly investment for the sake of a few dollars, just doesn't make sense.

Do a search, you will not find a hobbyist who has had a Lifereef Prefilter Box fail. Then check the others, you will find numerous failures. So, why risk a flood and the $$$ damage caused by water, using an inferior design that might look SIMILAR but does not offer the safety and quality of a Lifereef.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've been using a Lifereef HOB overflow for over 3 years now. It has never not restarted and I have never had a flood (knock on wood). John's post above is spot on. I've also never had a creature make it's way into my overflow either. If using a good HOB overflow (like Lifereef) and having your water levels set properly, the chances of a flood are pretty small.!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Can't help but notice all the mounts at your workplace. Are you an taxidermist?

Tom
Nope, just work in a GUN SHOP. And there are LOTS of mounts on the walls at the shop, one more benefit of owning a gun shop...a place to store stuffed dead animal parts :yup:

I hope by the end of NEXT WEEK, I can update & give "so far" reviews on the operation of my LifeReef System.
Until it's running & fine tuned I don't know enough about it to make comments.
These are still a couple of things "I'm not getting" of understanding the installation. I AM NOT A DIY PERSON & this is not a fun time :( I wish I was past the part I'm to right now. Plumbers & carpenters & electricians stay in business because of people LIKE ME. :yup: if I could have hired this install done, it'd already be running.
I have the water and sand ready but there's a hold up in the plumbing dept. :cursin: I hope to get the last connections done tomorrow...gotta work today.
Your good wishes are appreciated & I am very thankful to those who have helped me with my SW addiction and continue to read my thread. :hug1:
Here's Charlie Bear waiting to see what gets put into the refugium:
null_zps6d363fab.jpg
[/IMG]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
just wondering wat ur cat was upto....?

Maybe he just wants me to put some fish in "his tank" so he can try to catch them out :LOL:
I'm a little concerned that the fuge opening might allow him to play in the water :nono:

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I will never buy dwarf Ceriths again. They will get anyway they can fit. I was however surprised to Nerite back there. Of course Nerites and Ceriths need to kept in tanks with tops because they will crawl out.

I've been using a Lifereef HOB overflow for over 3 years now. It has never not restarted and I have never had a flood (knock on wood). John's post above is spot on. I've also never had a creature make it's way into my overflow either. If using a good HOB overflow (like Lifereef) and having your water levels set properly, the chances of a flood are pretty small.!!

jerry26

I might be wrong but I the flooding issue has more to do with how the siphon break works in a HOB overflow

nanoreefings post nailed it on the head. the tubeless hobs are a horrible design. the one lifereef says is basically an exact copy is eshopps. the eshopps and lifereef will NOT break siphon. they have a divider setup on the back that traps a small amount of water and causes a small amount to get trapped inside also.it keeps both ends submerged and filled with water. if the water velocity is too slow air will build up in the tubes and cause a siphon break on both designs. lifereef im sure put more thought into their tubes to prevent this than eshopps did.