Devons Reef 125

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Guys I don't think he liked the ride very much.. he looked kindof lathargic in the store and he was extremely lathargic in the bag and acclimation bowl. This has happened with ALL of my tangs but they snap out of it quick as soon as there in the tank.... this Guy is not snapping out of it... he's having trouble swimming upright now... so sad to watch :(. I hope he pulls out of it.. and to boot I have to go into work for a couple hours..

Been awhile since I've been in here, I'm caught back up though. I liked the "swim through" video awhile back and the appollos and new rockscape are outstanding! Your tank has progressed a great deal, kudos for that. Keep it up!

Hope the new addition pulls through for ya. I do need to say though, if he was lethargic in the store you should have passed on it.

Built347

Been awhile since I've been in here, I'm caught back up though. I liked the "swim through" video awhile back and the appollos and new rockscape are outstanding! Your tank has progressed a great deal, kudos for that. Keep it up!

Hope the new addition pulls through for ya. I do need to say though, if he was lethargic in the store you should have passed on it.

Thanks for stopping by buddy... :).. and yes I should've passed.. I'm a sucker for the underdog. I was hoping he wasn't swimming around a lot because he was bored or something. Lol.. I've seen some fish do complete 180's in my qt.. and recently Ive watched some die too... man sometimes I am so overwhelmed by how many lives I'm responsible for.. watching a dieing fish really reminds me of that... I hope he pulls through.. he's very young and that's a shame...

Built347

White cheek. Tho I don't know if he is anymore.. ill be home in a couple hours to check on him. :(

Quite sad indeed, I understand that completely. Most of my fish are ordered so I dont usually have the luxury of seeing them first. I've got an A. latezonatus that had brooklynella when I received it, that's cured but it has been suffering from secondary infections and fungus since then. I am trying one last round of antifungal meds along with Erythromycin, if that's a no go I will have to euthanize, so he wont suffer anymore. He's hung on for a month now but slowly been slipping, still eating but very emaciated.

sk8rdn

C'mon Devon... How is he? *on edge of seat*

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

Built347

Sorry guys.. when I got home from work he was floating upside down... had what looked like stings on his side.. he was still breathing and I couldn't take it anymore so I put him in a cup and dosed him with clove oil.. it was quick.... lfs guy said the marks were ammonia burns.. he explained how that happens and it made no sense to me... he was only in the bag for 30 minutes.. and acclimating for another 20... they ordered me another one... :(

DesertOrchid

Sorry to hear about your fishy friend. Always so sad to have them die and that ammonia burn buisness sounds odd for only 50 total minutes in the bag.

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
Sorry guys.. when I got home from work he was floating upside down... had what looked like stings on his side.. he was still breathing and I couldn't take it anymore so I put him in a cup and dosed him with clove oil.. it was quick.... lfs guy said the marks were ammonia burns.. he explained how that happens and it made no sense to me... he was only in the bag for 30 minutes.. and acclimating for another 20... they ordered me another one... :(

So what was this "miracle" explanation? I'm kind of intrigued as I've never heard of ammonia burns before...

Built347

heres what i was told.... hopefully someone steps in and corrects my trailerpark science... he said that fish expel nitrogen that bonds with the hydrogen in the water. blah blah. this mixed with slow ph drop in the bag creates elevated levels of ammonium.. ( i think) when you drip acclimate you are raising the ph back up and turning the ammonium back into ammonia.. which can burn the fish. especially tangs because of there sensative slime coat.... he recommended using prime while in the acclimation bowl from now on..... i dont know if this is totally made up or what.... i assumed that 30 minutes in the bag was not long enough for anything to happen because when you ship a fish its in there a lot longer than that.... I dont know.. i wish i knew more.. i hate losing fish..

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
heres what i was told.... hopefully someone steps in and corrects my trailerpark science... he said that fish expel nitrogen that bonds with the hydrogen in the water. blah blah. this mixed with slow ph drop in the bag creates elevated levels of ammonium.. ( i think) when you drip acclimate you are raising the ph back up and turning the ammonium back into ammonia.. which can burn the fish. especially tangs because of there sensative slime coat.... he recommended using prime while in the acclimation bowl from now on..... i dont know if this is totally made up or what.... i assumed that 30 minutes in the bag was not long enough for anything to happen because when you ship a fish its in there a lot longer than that.... I dont know.. i wish i knew more.. i hate losing fish..

Sounds like faulty logic based on seemingly "that sounds probable" science.
My guess? Mishandling on the way to the LFS, or in LFS. Or just a sub-prime specimen. But that's just my opinion.

Built347

your probably right dude.. the only strange part is that the marks werent there in the store.. they appeared between the store and the qt... i should have payed more attention.. i dont know when exactly they popped up..

Funlad3

That sucks Devon... Is he replacing it for you, or is he making you buy another?

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
your probably right dude.. the only strange part is that the marks werent there in the store.. they appeared between the store and the qt... i should have payed more attention.. i dont know when exactly they popped up..

Are you 100% sure of this? Remember the old "new fish" vision. It's perfect, until we notice later its not. We can't trust our impressions "in the heat of the buy moment."

Best of luck with try #2...

steved13

PREMIUM

Sorry for the loss :(

I've heard of this before, if you check reefcleaners acclimation process it speaks of this. I agree with you though, I don't see it as the case with a 20 minute ride home. Don't forget the worse the health the more it loses it's color and marks tend to show up more easily. Visible at the LFS or not, it wasn't acting right at the LFS either, it's silly to think the ride home caused it, probably didn't help, but certainly didn't cause it.

Devon, this is not directed at you as I only just thought of this myself...People will always root for the underdog, but there might be a further thought here for all of us for the future...do we want to transport and stress a fish out even further that already isn't doing well?