Devons Reef 125

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful tank ! New lights look great !

IMG_20120217_211303.jpg

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok ... to answer matts question, I love these lights,, not one regret.. they are soo crisp and clear... matt I do notice a slight purple tint but I think its my eyes messing with me.. my old leds were very white and blue and only white and blue.. idk... either way not dissapointed at all.. great choice matt...

First impressions of the controller are good.. I can tell its an extremely capable unit... I wish there were more detailed instructions on how to program light cycles.. I have profiles programmed to ramp up and down at the beginning and end of the light cycle... but they didn't dim out.. they just shut off last night.. the only way I can get lights to run throughout the day is on n all day weather profile.. set to 0% cloud interval with Max intensity set to 40%.... if this is how your supposed to do it that is stupid..... I can't figure out how to set a master switch to turn off all 6 channels at once... if I want manual on or off I have to switch 6 channels independantly..stupid().

I really appreciate the compliments guys. Thankyou.

steved13

PREMIUM
Devon, I think I read the Apollos don't "turn off" at 0%, if you want them to turn off, the easy way would be to plug them into one of the outlets on your EB8 and when the profile goes to 0% program the outlet to turn off at the same time.

Just making sure...you know you have to create the profiles for each lighting event and then program the outlet for the LEDs using the profiles?

Built347

Devon, I think I read the Apollos don't "turn off" at 0%, if you want them to turn off, the easy way would be to plug them into one of the outlets on your EB8 and when the profile goes to 0% program the outlet to turn off at the same time.

Just making sure...you know you have to create the profiles for each lighting event and then program the outlet for the LEDs using the profiles?

Yes.. I think I have done this.... to start I have the lights plugged into the eb8. I have that plug set to on@1pm off at 12. I have each of the 6 channels running 3 profiles.
pfl 1-- if time is 13:00 to 14:00 ramp from 0% to 40% set @ 60minutes
Pfl 2-- if time is 14:00 to 23:00 running weather program 40% Max int. 0% cloud cover.
Pfl-3-- if time is 23:00 to 00.:00 ramp 40% to 0% set@ 60minutes

I realised after midnight last night that I also need a profile set to off between 00:00 and 13:00..

What do u think Steve?
Do I need to set rampnstart to 10% for the apollos?

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm not picking nits, but I just want to make sure it's clear. It's pretty easy to get something wrong and then it doesn't work.

The profile setup will have no time reference at all. The time will be in outlet setup.

In profile setup, you will program a starting intensity, ending intensity, and a ramp time. For instance profile 1030 (you pick the name) might be starting at 10% ending at 30% with a ramp time of 30 minutes...all done by inputting the numbers into the proper field. You would then (in the outlet setup screen) input:

if time is 13:00 to 14:00 then 1030

You'll need a profile for each change you want and then enter the times and the profile you want for those times.

You will need a separate profile for 10% -30% and another for 30%-10%

Let me know if I've confused you, or you need any other info.

Built347

I'm not picking nits, but I just want to make sure it's clear. It's pretty easy to get something wrong and then it doesn't work.

The profile setup will have no time reference at all. The time will be in outlet setup.

In profile setup, you will program a starting intensity, ending intensity, and a ramp time. For instance profile 1030 (you pick the name) might be starting at 10% ending at 30% with a ramp time of 30 minutes...all done by inputting the numbers into the proper field. You would then (in the outlet setup screen) input:

if time is 13:00 to 14:00 then 1030

You'll need a profile for each change you want and then enter the times and the profile you want for those times.

You will need a separate profile for 10% -30% and another for 30%-10%

Let me know if I've confused you, or you need any other info.

No no not confusing me... I think I've made it that far...... I've set both ramp up and ram down profiles... then I set the profile times in the variable speed outlet programing.... my question is for my continuous on during the day if I want Max intensity to be 40% do I just set my (middle) profile to a ramp of start 40% to end 40% or do I have to use the weather profile at Max intensity of 40% with 0% cloud coverage?.... I don't know how to just have the lights on at 40%.... if I set the outlet as "If time is 14:00 to 23:00 then ON" I'm assuming they are default 100% intensity... or does "On" follow suit of my ramp profile set to Max int of 40%? Idk there is only 3 profile types.... ramp, pump, and weather... and I'm lost with feeds and weather implementing.. but my brain can't handle all that yet... I just want to make sure these fireballs aren't coming on at 100%..

dmatt88

Ah. Another thread written in Greek. :D

Glad u like em bro.

I'm Matt n I hate heaters.

steved13

PREMIUM
No no not confusing me... I think I've made it that far...... I've set both ramp up and ram down profiles... then I set the profile times in the variable speed outlet programing.... my question is for my continuous on during the day if I want Max intensity to be 40% do I just set my (middle) profile to a ramp of start 40% to end 40% or do I have to use the weather profile at Max intensity of 40% with 0% cloud coverage?.... I don't know how to just have the lights on at 40%.... if I set the outlet as "If time is 14:00 to 23:00 then ON" I'm assuming they are default 100% intensity... or does "On" follow suit of my ramp profile set to Max int of 40%? Idk there is only 3 profile types.... ramp, pump, and weather... and I'm lost with feeds and weather implementing.. but my brain can't handle all that yet... I just want to make sure these fireballs aren't coming on at 100%..

You would create a profile from whatever the previous intensity was to 40% and then use that profile. Let's say the previous profile was from 0% -20%, you would create a profile starting at 20% ending at 40% and that's where it would stay for the time you're running that profile in the outlet setup. You don't ever need to set a maximium output in the outlet programming, you tell it exactly what to do and when to do it.

I just thought of something...in the outlet programming, are you select "advanced" or "lighting"...you want "advanced".

Built347

You would create a profile from whatever the previous intensity was to 40% and then use that profile. Let's say the previous profile was from 0% -20%, you would create a profile starting at 20% ending at 40% and that's where it would stay for the time you're running that profile in the outlet setup. You don't ever need to set a maximium output in the outlet programming, you tell it exactly what to do and when to do it.

I just thought of something...in the outlet programming, are you select "advanced" or "lighting"...you want "advanced".

So if i want sunrise at 1pm to 2pm. And nightfall at 11pm to 12. Then I make a ramp profile 0%-40% 60m duration and then program outlet to run said profile " if time is13:00 to 14:00 then (profile)" and then sundown "if time is 23:00 - 00:00 then (profile2) ( opposite ramp)..... my question is what do I put in between the sun up and sun down profiles?

steved13

PREMIUM
So if i want sunrise at 1pm to 2pm. And nightfall at 11pm to 12. Then I make a ramp profile 0%-40% 60m duration and then program outlet to run said profile " if time is13:00 to 14:00 then (profile)" and then sundown "if time is 23:00 - 00:00 then (profile2) ( opposite ramp)..... my question is what do I put in between the sun up and sun down profiles?

You're close you would input: if time is 13:00 to 23:00 then (profile)" It will ramp for 1 hour and then stay on at 40% until 23:00.

Built347

You're close you would input: if time is 13:00 to 23:00 then (profile)" It will ramp for 1 hour and then stay on at 40% until 23:00.

Ohhhh.. I get it... its simpler than I thought... so do that and then do a ramp down for 60 minutes from 23 to 00?

....over and out!.

steved13

PREMIUM
You got it, you can do a more gradual sunrise/sunset, with more profiles, also if the different colors are on different outlets, you can have the blues come on first and then 10-15 minutes (or so) later the whites. It's a little programming, but once it's set up it's done, until you want to tweak something for whatever reason.

If you do the whites and blues separate, just copy and paste the outlet programming for the blues, into the screen for the whites and change the times by 10 minutes...add ten minutes to the whites at "sunrise" and take off 10 minutes for the whites at sunset...you get the idea.

Built347

Yes that makes sense... BUT on my computer interface it will not let me program outlets or profiles so my programming has all been on the apex handset... stupid!..
So if I wanted to make a weather program with all 6 channels doing dif stuff at different intervals and I want to save it and be able to press a button and run this program for lets say 10 minutes...what do I do?

....over and out!.

steved13

PREMIUM
First thing...why can't you do it on the computer? You'll go crazy trying to do this stuff on the apex? I think some of it you can't do?

Built347

First thing...why can't you do it on the computer? You'll go crazy trying to do this stuff on the apex? I think some of it you can't do?

I don't know.. it really sucks tho. When I do the deal and access the apex from my desktop it let's me do everything except for program profiles and modify and program outlets... those screens just load blank... I don't get it.

....over and out!.

steved13

PREMIUM
By blank do you mean the whole screen is blank or just where the programming would go. Once you go into outlet programming, you have to select an outlet for the info to be available. It will open with an outlet on the screen but you have to change to a different one for the info to be correct.

If it's a totally blank screen...First try plugging the Apex directly to the PC and bypassing any wireless, mine tends to lock up at times in those same sceens, I think it's too much back and forth for the wireless (but I'm just guessing), if that's not it...I would try an update, I think it's done on the Apex, but check the unofficial guide (I'm at work and don't have access to it here), update the Apex, and then make sure it's on the home screen and try and access. If that doesn't do it try a reboot, (cut power and repower the Apex). If anything isn't clear feel free to ask ???. Let me know if any of that works. If not I'll check for anything else when I get home tonight. I'm not sure if they're available on weekends, but Neptune's customer service is excellent give them a call, if they're not available you can also access their forum (I'll send a link if you need it) and someone else may have had the same problem and knows the solution.

Built347

By blank do you mean the whole screen is blank or just where the programming would go. Once you go into outlet programming, you have to select an outlet for the info to be available. It will open with an outlet on the screen but you have to change to a different one for the info to be correct.

If it's a totally blank screen...First try plugging the Apex directly to the PC and bypassing any wireless, mine tends to lock up at times in those same sceens, I think it's too much back and forth for the wireless (but I'm just guessing), if that's not it...I would try an update, I think it's done on the Apex, but check the unofficial guide (I'm at work and don't have access to it here), update the Apex, and then make sure it's on the home screen and try and access. If that doesn't do it try a reboot, (cut power and repower the Apex). If anything isn't clear feel free to ask ???. Let me know if any of that works. If not I'll check for anything else when I get home tonight. I'm not sure if they're available on weekends, but Neptune's customer service is excellent give them a call, if they're not available you can also access their forum (I'll send a link if you need it) and someone else may have had the same problem and knows the solution.

Its not blank blank... the Neptune header and the top row of gui's load but nothing below it... just blank grey screen.... my apex is not on wireless... I ran it with Ethernet because of all the problems Matt had with his bridge..

....over and out!.

steved13

PREMIUM
Ahh. Weird...Try the update and/or reboot. I think you have to update the "web pages" when you do the update.