Devons Reef 125

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well there's a dog in my house.... from the looks at all these dang toys everywhere.. I almost fell just now!

dmatt88

Well there's a dog in my house.... from the looks at all these dang toys everywhere.. I almost fell just now!

That's the reason I rode down the stairs on my arse. Seriously still hurts. Damn dog toys.

.............I'm feeling salty.

dmatt88

I couldn't tell them from mine after the stair ride!

.............I'm feeling salty.

CuznJT

yeah. I'm afraid we rushed ours and will more than likely be loosing a bunch of livestock at our house. Can't get the hubby to slow down with new additions. I research and relay info, but the excitement is just too great, I'm afraid. Tanks have been up for 5 days, we have 2 new anemone, a crab, 10 fish, 2 choc chip starfish, a green brittle sea star...we don't quarantine, unless you want to call putting them all in our 70 gal tank quarantine- lol. Wish us luck! :/

CuznJT

to all who read this and use my tank to justify adding life too soon.. I recklessly rushed this aquarium.. i lost fish and coral because of my impatience.

yeah. I'm afraid we rushed ours and will more than likely be loosing a bunch of livestock at our house. Can't get the hubby to slow down with new additions. I research and relay info, but the excitement is just too great, I'm afraid. Tanks have been up for 5 days, we have 2 new anemone, a crab, 10 fish, 2 choc chip starfish, a green brittle sea star...we don't quarantine, unless you want to call putting them all in our 70 gal tank quarantine- lol. Wish us luck! :/

Built347

I will be the last person to tell you that something can't be done... But FOR REAL those nems will die.. save a life or two and maybe get your money back... Rushing a nem is 30 days.. 5 days is sure death... Good luck to you.. I hope you have some stuff left after the cycle...

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

dmatt88

I'm with Devon. Either u remove the livestock or they will remove themselves ie death. Good luck.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

redneckgearhead

Most likely too late. If I was venturing a guess I would say that the "expert" at the LFS said it was "fine" "nems are easy to take care of". Even if they did take them back the amount of stress on these animals is probably to much already.

sk8rdn

.... Tanks have been up for 5 days,...

(in my best impression of a mechanic's voice)
Well, there's ya problem right there...

...we have 2 new anemone, a crab, 10 fish, 2 choc chip starfish, a green brittle sea star...we don't quarantine...

...And there's your other problem...

CuznJT

thanks for your input gang. So, how about if we put these babies in the tank that has been running for 15 yrs, that we inherited on the 15th? We used as much of the original water that we could. It originally housed a choc chip starfish, moray eel, cinnamon clown, a few large snails, 3 urchins, a brown clown (he's a bully), an anemone, one coral, and oodles of rock. The tank is 90 gal. Has a skimmer, with bio balls. Good water flow, numbers are dead on (as are the numbers in the "new" tank; new, used - but was not active at time of purchase. All the equipment we have for it is the original that had been used with the tank. With that we have a sump system). I will need to research tank mates for safety. However, I do hate to move the cinn clown back in with the bully- he's so happy being able to get out of the corner and being able to swim and eat like it's no big deal. But, if he's not going to live much longer, I guess he's used to the sacrifice. We had purchased a Lunar Wrasse and the LPS suggested it would calm "the bully" down, and it has. They seem to play, instead of the clown intimidating him.

We messed up - and I'm hoping to spare the lives of these babies. They are so beautiful, I would hate that our eagerness cost them thier life. Years ago I had a pond that I dearly loved. I cried when I came home from work to find one of my Koi had died that I had purchased at 4 inches and was now at least 9 inches and I'd had through 2 summers. Your suggestions will not fall on deaf ears, I promise you. Thanks so much for all your help. I'm so glad I found this site to aid us in our blind walk in to Salt water. :)

Funlad3

Hey, it sound like you've got it figured out now! Awesome! Start a build thread, as I'd love to see some pictures. :D

DEVON, WAKE UP AND COME BACK!

redneckgearhead

thanks for your input gang. So, how about if we put these babies in the tank that has been running for 15 yrs, that we inherited on the 15th? We used as much of the original water that we could. It originally housed a choc chip starfish, moray eel, cinnamon clown, a few large snails, 3 urchins, a brown clown (he's a bully), an anemone, one coral, and oodles of rock. The tank is 90 gal. Has a skimmer, with bio balls. Good water flow, numbers are dead on (as are the numbers in the "new" tank; new, used - but was not active at time of purchase. All the equipment we have for it is the original that had been used with the tank. With that we have a sump system). I will need to research tank mates for safety. However, I do hate to move the cinn clown back in with the bully- he's so happy being able to get out of the corner and being able to swim and eat like it's no big deal. But, if he's not going to live much longer, I guess he's used to the sacrifice. We had purchased a Lunar Wrasse and the LPS suggested it would calm "the bully" down, and it has. They seem to play, instead of the clown intimidating him.

We messed up - and I'm hoping to spare the lives of these babies. They are so beautiful, I would hate that our eagerness cost them thier life. Years ago I had a pond that I dearly loved. I cried when I came home from work to find one of my Koi had died that I had purchased at 4 inches and was now at least 9 inches and I'd had through 2 summers. Your suggestions will not fall on deaf ears, I promise you. Thanks so much for all your help. I'm so glad I found this site to aid us in our blind walk in to Salt water. :)
Yea some times it's not the age of the aquarium but the age of the aquarist. I wouldnt put that many fish in that size tank regardless how many years it had been set up. I think we may have not been clear. You must remember sw aquariums are rarely a just add water hobby. It can takes YEARS to get tanks set up running, stocked and find the balance. This obsession we call a hobby is like driving a car, the faster you go the harder the crash. Do yourself a favor, return the nem and fish immediately, keep your favorite fish (only one!) and then read EVERYONE of lees stickies. Follow them to a tee. I would imagine he has forgotten more about this hobby than most think they know. This site is full of knowledgable people willing to help. The advice given is with the best interest of the animals in mind with the best interest of the aquarist a distant second. Rarely is the advice given a guess, but knowledge gained from making the same mistakes, knowing someone whose made the same mistakes or helping someone on this site as they post questions as to why their animals are suffering. Some of lees stickies here Fish Diseases & Treatments

dmatt88

Yea some times it's not the age of the aquarium but the age of the aquarist. I wouldnt put that many fish in that size tank regardless how many years it had been set up. I think we may have not been clear. You must remember sw aquariums are rarely a just add water hobby. It can takes YEARS to get tanks set up running, stocked and find the balance. This obsession we call a hobby is like driving a car, the faster you go the harder the crash. Do yourself a favor, return the nem and fish immediately, keep your favorite fish (only one!) and then read EVERYONE of lees stickies. Follow them to a tee. I would imagine he has forgotten more about this hobby than most think they know. This site is full of knowledgable people willing to help. The advice given is with the best interest of the animals in mind with the best interest of the aquarist a distant second. Rarely is the advice given a guess, but knowledge gained from making the same mistakes, knowing someone whose made the same mistakes or helping someone on this site as they post questions as to why their animals are suffering. Some of lees stickies here Fish Diseases & Treatments

Thank u

.............its calibrate ur hydrometer month. no not really but Sheez its important.