DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

steved13

PREMIUM
Was there another company years ago that used test vials like that? I had some, but Hach doesn't sound familiar, I'm talking ~20 years ago. I forgot all about those until I saw your pic.

Looking forward to the pics.

DBrinson

Was there another company years ago that used test vials like that? I had some, but Hach doesn't sound familiar, I'm talking ~20 years ago. I forgot all about those until I saw your pic.

Looking forward to the pics.

Hach has been around for 60 years, but maybe. I remember using Tetra test kits 25 years ago, it was the only kind available in my LFS then. They had a little cylinder test tube you had to look down through and match to color circles on paper as I recall.

steved13

PREMIUM
It must have been Hach, they were identical, with the "stepped side" and the cap with the tab on it. Funny, how I can't remember someone's name that I just met, but I remember a test vial from 20+ years ago LOL.

DBrinson

Here's a few "halfway there" FTS's:

FTS_20110120a.jpg

FTS_20110120b.jpg

I have 1/3 of the corals and another 80 lbs of rock still in styrofoam coolers, will post pice tomorrow once it's closer to "final form".

DBrinson

Thanks Mack, Juan!

Here's what it looks like this morning ... I will spare you all by not posting any pics of what I look like :drool::stars:

FTS_20110121.jpg

LTS_20110121.jpg
RTS_20110121.jpg

jpsika08

David, I see you haven't placed the curtain above the tank, how's that project going?

Also, I see your chromis are schooling, did you do something to achieve this? My chromis are just in one spot in the tank, (mostly on the sandbed) and not even close on swimming together, they are eating and look healthy but very passive.

thanks.

DBrinson

looking great! Nice corals and fish! Looks like an established system already.

Thanks Val! The corals, clams, and rock were moved in together from an established tank, so I can't take all the credit for the quick results. It has been a pretty desperate task to get it all moved over. I haven't lost a fish yet, and aside from the corals I didn't keep, (in particular one large leather) all of the corals appear as healthy as they were before the move.

David, I see you haven't placed the curtain above the tank, how's that project going?
I am going to wait two weeks on that, I have a quote in hand from a maker of tracks but I want to be sure I have time to install it when it arrives.

Also, I see your chromis are schooling, did you do something to achieve this? My chromis are just in one spot in the tank, (mostly on the sandbed) and not even close on swimming together, they are eating and look healthy but very passive.

thanks.
My whole strategy with this tank was to add a large number of fish all at the same time, to give the tank a "schooling" effect before any of the fish can become territorial.

Note: This is not a strategy for everyone, you really have to know what you are doing, and be able to recognize signs of stress and monitor the water quality carefully.

Fish on the reef have two "modes", they can guard a tiny piece of the reef for themselves, or they can school in well-populated feeding areas. I tried hard to simulate the latter, and so far it has succeeded. In the tank I moved most of my fish from, many of these fish were so reclusive they were never seen. The same fish are socializing in the tank with the best of them.

Looking good DB :Thumbup:
Hows the eel doing?

He's doing well, though he probably wonders where all the other fish came from haha. He has a well established routine of nighttime prowling, so we try to feed him when he is on the move.

Part of my "social" fish strategy involves the eel, the other fish can't tell a zebra moray from a snowflake, and he is the king of the rockwork.

Couple of updates:
Between my lawnmower blenny and orange spotted goby, much of the hair algae in the tank was quickly eaten. This influx of nutrients caused an algae bloom in my seagrass tank that threatened to overrun the Thalassia, and in fact still does.

It has been a maddening race to harvest the algae from the seagrass tank, at one point the overflow actually clogged to where the tank began to overflow. I filled a 1-gallon bucket with the goop the day after introducing the blenny.

I don't expect this kind of problem in the future, as there won't be a month's worth of hair algae for the blenny to consume in a day.

I tweaked the back overflow risers until they run silent. Very silent. Bubbles almost undetectable in the main tank. I'm pumping the full 4000 GPH smoothly since this morning.

I'll post pics over the weekend, and a list of fish next week. List of inverts ... you are going to have to give me two weeks on that one. It has been crazy the last week, hence my slow reply to the posts. (could use a bit more sleep also :blueoh:)

DBrinson

Update on Barry ... he loves sea scallops. (from the supermarket)

Here's a couple photos of my wife feeding him with a stick:

ScallopsOnTheMenu.jpg
Barry_snacktime.jpg

He gets along just fine with the cleaner shrimp, of course he gets a full body massage day and night.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Man I love that eel, the zebra's are handsdown my favorite eels.

How about some video :D

The tank is looking better as well, very nice!

DBrinson

Hitchhiker alert!!

Looks to me like a Xanthid crab, black eyes, black pincers, oval body shape.

He was chowing down on a Pocillopora, when I was finishing up my aquascaping last night I found him clinging to it.

Here he is in a SOLO cup:

FirstHitchhiker.png

I moved him to my seagrass bed, not only for the corals' sake, but because he's poisonous to Barry.

Man I love that eel, the zebra's are handsdown my favorite eels.

How about some video :D

The tank is looking better as well, very nice!
Thanks Eric! I plan to make some videos, I promised the guys at Aquarium Currents (Sea Swirl) I would haha.

My wife's favorite tank occupant is Barry as well.

Got some more stories I'll save em for the chatroom if I ever find it on this new forum. :D

Beautiful eel David, is it too hard to keep one?

Zebra morays are very different individually, I would take the time to tame one before putting it into the tank, they are very sociable and friendly if treated well by humans, they are very sensitive, much like a dog or cat. They are also usually reef safe (except they like the taste of emerald crabs).

Easy to keep, I used mine to balance my aquarium, they can handle ammonia and nitrites in the water with relative ease.

Wow, just caught up on all 8 pages. Impressive!

Thanks!

Now for the latest FTS:

FTS_20110203.jpg

Link to the "full res" FTS: http://www.brinsonfamily.org/images/FTS_20110203.jpg

jpsika08

David,
Thank you for the eel advice and congrats on the beautiful tank! it's growing impressively :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi David - the FTS looks awesome! Could that crab have been a commensal coral crab? Pretty crab, but when in doubt the sump is the best place for him.

Coral Crabs