DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

DBrinson

Today I hit my first problem with this system, that I hadn't encountered before.

Never had an open top tank before, always wanted one.

Everyone in the house is getting a sunburn. My wife just went outdoors (on a sunny day in Florida at noon) because it's too bright inside the house.

Someone tell me how I should best cover up those halides, it's like Close Encounters of the Third Kind in here.

Indoor_Sunburn.jpg

jpsika08

I would leave them like that, cheaper to buy the family some sunglasses LOL, j/k

If you're too concerned about too much light being spread around maybe you can build some type of canopy which only holds light in leaving the top part opened, just my 2 cents.

BTW, the tank looks incredible!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Maybe a 3 sided canopy that could be easily removed? Or 4 sided with a cutout for the pipes. Or Juan's suggestion of sunglasses (and maybe sunscreen lotion). :)

Val

I love the clean modern look of an open top tank also, but..... the plumbing is showing above your tank... that takes away from the look. I would look into something to hide that plumbing. I would look into an acrylic barrier, it could help hide the plumbing, be a jump guard and possibly help with the light problem. I think my light is closer to the top of the tank and the water helps diffuse the light in the room.

DBrinson

Thanks Juan, Mack, Val for the tips (and everyone who posted in the other thread).

I designed a IFC-98 track for the ceiling for a hanging curtain, the same kind of curtain you see in hospital rooms.

Curtain_Track_Schematic.jpg

I have a bit of a leakage problem at the bulkheads that connect to the overflows, I overnighted two 2" Sch. 80 bulkheads to replace the Sch 40 ones, they just don't cover the holes well enough, no matter how I shift them.

Tuesday I should see the bulkheads and some 200 lbs of rock via air freight, have to pick it up at the airport. I'm expecting 160 lbs of Manato and 75 lbs. of Timor in large pieces.

DBrinson

Having bulkhead problems. The holes drilled in my overflows are too big for Sch 40 bulkheads, and only slightly too small for Sch. 80's.

I could sand the threads (just a little bit) on a Sch. 80 bulkhead to make it fit, or I could look for ways to safely widen the hole in the acrylic. Alternatively, I could improvise with Sch. 40 bulkheads to seal the hole.

The live rock has been delayed/lost in Atlanta, a casualty of the 300 flights cancelled ... I am hoping the airline will find it soon. The airbill number for the freight is either missing or incorrect.

This can only mean one thing .... Delta Air Lines is in league with Poseidon!

DeltaAirLines.jpg
Bring it, old man!!!

On a side note, if a hurricane once again wipes me out, I intend to rebuild the tank starting the day after the event.

In such an event, I will keep my progress updated on this very thread, complete with pictures of the disaster, etc.

I wonder how that is related to the beginning of this post ... :eek:h:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Best wishes on overcoming the obstacles. That snow really has messed up a lot of shipments. I hope the rock shows up soon, and still live!

jpsika08

Having bulkhead problems. The holes drilled in my overflows are too big for Sch 40 bulkheads, and only slightly too small for Sch. 80's.

I could sand the threads (just a little bit) on a Sch. 80 bulkhead to make it fit, or I could look for ways to safely widen the hole in the acrylic. Alternatively, I could improvise with Sch. 40 bulkheads to seal the hole.

The live rock has been delayed/lost in Atlanta, a casualty of the 300 flights cancelled ... I am hoping the airline will find it soon. The airbill number for the freight is either missing or incorrect.

This can only mean one thing .... Delta Air Lines is in league with Poseidon!

DeltaAirLines.jpg
Bring it, old man!!!

On a side note, if a hurricane once again wipes me out, I intend to rebuild the tank starting the day after the event.

In such an event, I will keep my progress updated on this very thread, complete with pictures of the disaster, etc.

I wonder how that is related to the beginning of this post ... :eek:h:

Sorry to hear about your Rock, but it will appear somewhere, if not, reclaim it to the seller :smoking:

How's the COVER THE LIGHT project? still having IFO (Identified Flying Object :D) in the house?

Uslanja

Looking real good! Hope your rock shows up soon. Looking forward to your lighting solution. That's the worst part about a pendant, you will need sunglasses!

DBrinson

Thanks for the idea Blake, but a grinder wouldn't fit behind the tank. I did look into the possibility though. Here's the rundown on the plumbing fixes:
  • I was able to use Sch 40 bulkheads with Sch. 80 bulkhead "seals" to patch the leaks.
  • I put four more union connections into the plumbing lines for good measure.
  • I moved the "forward" Sea Swirl back, and put risers into both overflows.
Cool idea for the light curtain. Do you have a color or print in mind ?
Would make a great poll topic wouldn't it? :D

Looking real good! Hope your rock shows up soon. Looking forward to your lighting solution. That's the worst part about a pendant, you will need sunglasses!
I have the rock, 165 lbs of air freighted Manado. I'm two days into curing it ... still aquascaping though. It's some of the freshest Live Rock I've ever seen, covered with red and purple coralline.

Will post a few pics soon as I get to a good "stopping place".

I took the advice of Val & others who had their lights closer to the top of the tank, and had a lengthy strategy session with the manufacturer, before settling on a much lower hang. It works much better in the new position, I may not need the curtains after all. (I will hang the track above the tank anyways ... too many possible useful reasons for the track to shelve the idea)

The flow generated between the three Sea Swirls is awesome .... just awesome. It really puts my old system to shame. It's about the flow Eric has on his 90 Gallon setup. Call me Mr. Underkill!
:drown:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hey - good to hear you resolved some things, and that the rock was delivered and looks good!

DBrinson

Huge change of direction on this one.

I bought the entire contents of an established tank from a fellow member of "Panhandle Reefers" (local reefkeepers club) to jump start my tank. (He's moving and can't take it with him)

He has a two year old very well-balanced 110G system, crammed with 200 lbs of Fiji live rock and assorted corals.

I am going to use my 160 lbs of Manado (it's very similar to Marshall rock in weight and structure) as a skeleton to attach his Fiji rock to, with his corals/clams intact. His setup is not all that different from mine, with an algal scrubber in place of my seagrass bed.

So it looks like I have my work cut out for me this week. :grind:

mbdave

Hey David what sound proofing did you use in your setup?
Dave

"UPDATE" Duh I went back and read the post and now know what soundproofing you used.