Dave's RSM 500 Adventure

Heli Dave

While we have been talking about water, here is some sad facts I got today waiting for RO water and filling up various parts of the system to test. It will probably make more sense to Dave, but may be usefull for future RSM 500 owners.
Left hand chamber of sump holds 10 ltrs
Left hand chamber area below skimmer plate 24 ltrs combined
Sump full to point of water overflowing into carbon chamber 39 ltrs
Top up reservoir level to top of sight glass 8th marked line - 16 ltrs ( approx 2 ltrs per marked line on sight glass)
Volume when horizontal section of chamber is full - 25 ltrs
RO to top of fill chamber - 28.8 ltrs.

Heli Dave

Red Sea do state that the lighting is future proofed to potentially upgrade lighting further down the line. Dave, have you noticed how bright the lights are! a couple of my corals have doubled in size since i have owned it.

I have found using the centre lighting panel alone is perfect for the evening at home time. I go from a setting of "sunrise" with the centre panel only, then into all 3 panels of light, then down to centre panel only for "sunset" evening, then to moonlights from 10pm.
Lights are very bright we had the 2 centre T5's on and sat eating our evening meal at the dining table!

David Shaw

That's great, thanks Dave. Especially useful are the ATO fill level measurements.

Kevin said to keep the right side of the sump where the return pump sits to a level of 8 inches.

David Shaw

At the moment there appears to be no need for a chiller so all i have is a heater and filter media in there.

I wonder if anyone else here is lining up for a 500 purchase?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would like the 650 but seeing that I'm only in to my 250 just over 4 months, I'm going to wait. Hopefully they'll have LED option when I'm ready. I'm enjoying the 2 Dave's builds. Living vicariously through you two.

Heli Dave

13172033.jpg

Circulation pump
52b8b054.jpg

7eb45dd4.jpg

512c76c7.jpg

5011fbd1.jpg

Suction inlet shutter fully open
25bbc243.jpg

Suction inlet shutter fully closed
The attached photos show one of the circulation pumps, it is worth checking that the inlet shutter on the pump is fully open.
If it is closed then the pump will appear to not be working, ie no flow!

Heli Dave

I would like the 650 but seeing that I'm only in to my 250 just over 4 months, I'm going to wait. Hopefully they'll have LED option when I'm ready. I'm enjoying the 2 Dave's builds. Living vicariously through you two.
Glad you are enjoying the 2 Dave's (is that what we are going to be know as from now on then!).

Heli Dave

Quick update, RO/DI water production complete.
Total system volume with 8" level in sump is 520 ltrs.
Water level in sump with return pump stopped (ie simulated power failure) is 12.5" or 320mm
Skimmer now running, additional heater in aquarium to get water up to 25c, then it's in with the Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

tnwillia

Back to LEDs for a minute, will the complete sliding rail assembly/hood for the lights come off? I'm assuming yes, and it was shipped that way, so it is possible to go open top and use hanging LEDs if you wanted. Is this true? Thanks!

David Shaw

Back to LEDs for a minute, will the complete sliding rail assembly/hood for the lights come off? I'm assuming yes, and it was shipped that way, so it is possible to go open top and use hanging LEDs if you wanted. Is this true? Thanks!

The middle unit lifts out of its setting completely so i can see how that could easily become an LED unit.

Max250

Well gents once the fill is completed and water warmed up I can get the salt added. Quick question regarding the refractometer I have bought. It says to calibrate with distilled water before use, I am assuming that RO water could be used instead as this will be the reference water plus the salt to give the ppt readings?

No, RO water shouldn't be used. You need proper calibration fluid. Your SG will end up being something like .002 out. That's something I learnt here a few years back. Better still, buy yourself something like the Pinpoint Salinity Monitor ;)