Dave's RSM 500 Adventure

ChrisY

This pic looks a lot like the RSM 250 Sicce (Italian) pumps where you disassemble it

512c76c7.jpg

Is that an outbreak of shag algae? :) lol

Heli Dave

Salt now added and up to temp, had to remove 10 ltrs of water from sump to bring level back to 8".
Lots of micro bubbles in aquarium, is this normal until skimmer is broken in?

ChrisY

probably so, plus the salt isnt all in solution yet so there will be some of that. bubbles, turbidity, etc.

David Shaw

I found that i got micro bubbles if too much water was going through the skimmer, as there were micro bubbles escaping the exit nozzle of the skimmer. Check and see if this is the case for you. Turn the flow down then increase the until you find the best setting and no micro bubbles. I had to tweak the settings daily while the skimmer broke in.

Once you have everything set, it practically runs itself without the need to constantly adjust things.

Heli Dave

Readjusted skimmer and reduced micro bubbles significantly. Think I will need to keep tweaking until skimmer is broken in.
Substrate should be here tomorrow and just ordered fully cured live rock that will be dispatched Wednesday night for delivery Thursday (good excuse to have a days holiday off work) so looking forward to a day of Aquascaping!

Heli Dave

Quick update
Live rock arrived today 50kg of Fijian, also added 90lbs of Aragonite sand. Removed 40 ltrs of water to compensate for additions of rock and sand.
Also added bottle of Dr Tims One and Only. Need to sit back now and wait for cycle to complete, will post some photos when sand mist clears!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looking forward to those pics. It might be a bit early and forgive me if I missed it, but how are you finding temperatures? Do you see any need for a chiller at this stage? I'm thinking with the open top it may run cooler?